Author Topic: Problem #2 -- Remote Display With Ssh  (Read 3491 times)

dlj0

• View Profile
Problem #2 -- Remote Display With Ssh
« on: November 18, 2007, 11:24:49 pm »
I used to do this all the time, and with my upgrade to debian armel/sid, it no longer works.  I ssh into the Z from my (debian) desktop, and run an x program on the Z, such as xclock.  Used to be, ssh and sshd were set up so that it would display on the desktop.  It did that with titchy, angstrom, etc.  I have poured over the /etc/ssh/ssh_config and /set/ssh/sshd_config files, and as far as I can tell they are identical on the two computers, and identical to my old config files from titchy.  I can display programs on the Z that are running from the desktop just fine, but not the other way around.  It seems that the DISPLAY environment variable does not get set, even though the sshd_config file says:

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10

it is listening on port 22, protocol 2.  

Anyone else?  Any clues?  It's more annoyance than anything else, but I would like to fix it.

SOLVED!  

I had not bothered to configure /etc/network/interfaces, since dhclient brought up the link without it.  All I needed to do was configure the loopback X interface (lo) and it now works.  This makes sense because ssh pipes from the loopback interface to the remote server.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 01:55:15 pm by dlj0 »
Zaurus:  SL C3100
ROM:  eabi debian/sid

jpmatrix

• View Profile
    • http://matrixmen.free.fr
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 01:28:46 am »
Quote from: dlj0
I used to do this all the time, and with my upgrade to debian armel/sid, it no longer works.  I ssh into the Z from my (debian) desktop, and run an x program on the Z, such as xclock.  Used to be, ssh and sshd were set up so that it would display on the desktop.  It did that with titchy, angstrom, etc.  I have poured over the /etc/ssh/ssh_config and /set/ssh/sshd_config files, and as far as I can tell they are identical on the two computers, and identical to my old config files from titchy.  I can display programs on the Z that are running from the desktop just fine, but not the other way around.  It seems that the DISPLAY environment variable does not get set, even though the sshd_config file says:

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10

Anyone else?  Any clues?  It's more annoyance than anything else, but I would like to fix it.

are you using only root or your normal user ?
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  
**ex-Zaurus SL-C3000 owner with Debian kernel 2.6.24-yonggun

dlj0

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:29:27 pm »
Quote from: jpmatrix
Quote from: dlj0

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10

are you using only root or your normal user ?

Normal user, on both systems.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 04:55:11 pm »
ensure when you login to your Z that you're not overriding the env variable DISPLAY

not all ssh_config files (on the client PC) have X forwarding enabled by default, some have been known to have changed, as it's a security risk, so ensure you try "ssh -X myzaurus"

check that the zaurus's sshd_config has X forwarding enabled too.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

dlj0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 12:04:35 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
ensure when you login to your Z that you're not overriding the env variable DISPLAY

not all ssh_config files (on the client PC) have X forwarding enabled by default, some have been known to have changed, as it's a security risk, so ensure you try "ssh -X myzaurus"

check that the zaurus's sshd_config has X forwarding enabled too.

It does seem to be overriding the DISPLAY variable, since when I run env in the ssh shell, nothing about DISPLAY shows up.  This is with or without the -X option set.  And if I do

export DISPLAY=localhost:10.0  

in the shell, it still doesn't work.  It doesn't complain about not being able to open the display, but nothing shows up, either.  Reversing the process does work, though.  

Yes, the Z's sshd_config file has:

X11Forwarding yes
X11DisplayOffset 10
PrintMotd no
PrintLastLog yes
TCPKeepAlive yes

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 01:48:08 am »
xhosts +?
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K