Author Topic: Any Eee Pc Owners Here?  (Read 19273 times)

ZDevil

• View Profile
    • http://
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« on: March 01, 2008, 06:32:17 am »
I suppose the very first topic here is asking how many forum members have an Eee PC.

I am currently using a black 701 running eeeXubuntu r3 (Gutsy 7.10) as my main gadget.
Despite the apparently a bit dated hardware specs, I am very satisfied with its performaces, thanks to the fast SSD.
The keyboard is just enough for touchtyping. And I have no big problems working with the 7" screen (e.g. with Swiftfox fullscreen addons).
Compiz Fusion runs very smoothly and surprisingly takes very little overhead (10MB or so of RAM, i guess).
Recently I've bought the PCI BT-MicroEDR2 USB, the smallest bluetooth USB dongle available (Brando seems to be selling a similar product, but I am not veyr sure). I will use the USB port for the time being, until I am comfortable enough/i can find someone to add an extra USB usb inside the machine and attach the dongle to it.

Really looking forward to the first release of Debian/EeePC. It's actually working mostly OOTB now, but I still want to wait for the few fixes before I migrate to that. Then I can have both my C3200 and my 701 run the same full-fledged distro.  

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

dougeeebear

• View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:15:42 am »
I'm a happy EEE PC owner.
I've practically replaced my big laptop with it, and my Z is starting to get a little lonesome.
The E is a sweet little machine.
Zaurus SL-C1000 and SL-5500
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)

tux

• View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 04:23:43 pm »

I have a Black 701 dual booting Xandros (on the SSD) with eeeXubuntu r3 on a 16GB SDHC card. I have been able to get my Hauppage Nova-T digital tv stick to work on the Ubuntu side and my Archos PMA430 works nicely as a portable hard disk. I find the touch pad irritating, I do on all my laptops!!, so I carry a logitech trackball in the bag I use to carry the eeepc. I have found a lot of my Z accessories are quite useful with the eeepc.

The EEEuser.com site is very useful but there are a very large number of duplicate newbie posts, some of which are unbelievably naive! The wiki and the forum search are definitely the way to go there!  

I seem to spend most time with the eeeXubuntu side of things and I have converted my other laptops to Xubuntu. I am thinking that the eeeXubuntu system might be better replaced by the Ubuntu or Xubuntu install with the tweaks for wifi etc which are documented on the EEEuser.com forums and  wiki. Why? Well it appears that the eeeXubuntu originator has gone walkabout!

I have upgraded the ram to 1GB. free and top seem to show very little use of swap. I may get brave and think about some internal mods. The one that would be most tempting is the internal usb port. I could then put a large pendrive in and boot some variety of Ubuntu from that. This would free the external SD slot.

I have put a variant of dos on a pendrive and can boot into it. I'm considering putting UCSD pascal on that: just because I can!!

Cheers

3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

jpmatrix

• View Profile
    • http://matrixmen.free.fr
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 04:01:33 am »
Quote from: dougeeebear
The E is a sweet little machine.

so, after the Z, you got the E ... right ?  
i'm waiting for the F ....  
**Fujitsu U1010 !!!  
**ex-Zaurus SL-C3000 owner with Debian kernel 2.6.24-yonggun

Snappy

• View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 06:32:00 am »
I got the eeepc as well.  So far so good.  
Snappy!
------------------------
Akita (Daily use)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-C1000 with Cacko 1.23 full
Accessories: Wifi XI-825 CF  |  16GB (6) SDHC (Transcend) | 1GB 80x CF (RiDATA PRO-2) </span>

Collie (Sandbox)
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>SL-5500 with OZ/GPE 3.5.4.1 alpha3 build 2006-04-27
Accessories: 512MB A-Data SD | 64MB Toshiba SD</span>

AmigaFalcon

• View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 06:54:42 am »
I'm waiting for ASUS to add an internal 20+GB HD and slightly higher res screen.

2GB internal storage on a laptop does not make sense to me, but it is just a matter of time before ASUS reel out the "enhanced versions" of the EEE PC. So just have to wait a little longer
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 06:55:36 am by AmigaFalcon »
- Zaurus C3200
- Sandisk ULTRA II 8GB CF internal "harddrive"
- AmbiCom Wifi card
- Sony PSP power adapter ;)
- PdaXii13(v1) FULL install with Harddrive pivot

Tom61

• View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »
I have a white 4G 701 with an 8GB SDHC card that I got around Christmas. Xandros that has had a fair bit done to it (Advanced mode, apt pinning of multiple repositories, etc.) on SSD, Ubuntu (standard w/scripts to get most everything going on the EEE) on SDHC. I've upgraded to 1GB of RAM, because it was cheap, and I'd like to get XP running in VMWare Player or QEMU. Strongly considering getting a 16GB card, as they've dropped to the price of 8GB when I bought it already.

When I have to use for more than a few hours, the 7" 800x480 screen gets on my nerves. Even in short brusts it can be hard to deal with multi-megapixel images on the screen(view 1:1, edit, etc.). I've been doing that more lately, as I've been taking a photography course. Even just cropping gets rather interesting on this small screen.

I miss the 1024x600 8.9" display on my Fujistu Lifebook P1120. Since it turns out that the display in the EEE is LVDS, and doesn't just scramble when a larger res. display is added, it should be possible to to retrofit the Lifebook's screen in. It'll have to be after school is over though, as the EEE is too handy to risk right now. Though, the EEE's screen is brighter and has a better viewing angle.

The screen it comes with is plenty serviceable for quick web browsing, and that's what I do most when away from my desktop.

The limited space isn't as big of an issue as I thought it would be. Considering I have over 30GB of recorded video from PMP alone, in addition to multiple GB of downloaded videos(mostly legit stuff like Systm), and that my 1GB card in my PDA always had to have files shuffled around to fit videos, I'm stunned that 8GB is sufficient. I figured I'd feel the need to lug around my 2.5" 60GB external HD a fair bit.  I can fit a few videos on the SDHC's home directory, but I don't tend to bring too many along, and most of those were downloaded by the EEE to watch. Near ubiquitous WiFi I guess has supplanted/supplemented my need for video files.

I'm loving the speedy bootup of the default Xandros. Less than 45 seconds from cold boot to browsing the internet. My Nokia 770, which was bought as a toy and for quick nighttime browsing, has been completely surplanted by the EEE. Web browsing was such a pain on the 770, but the instant on and quick connection to WiFi made it a bed side companion before I got the EEE.

henrysviper

• View Profile
    • http://prasinos.eu/
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 06:38:04 am »
Quote from: AmigaFalcon
I'm waiting for ASUS to add an internal 20+GB HD and slightly higher res screen.

2GB internal storage on a laptop does not make sense to me, but it is just a matter of time before ASUS reel out the "enhanced versions" of the EEE PC. So just have to wait a little longer

I have already lost a laptop hard disk due to a bumpy train ride in Greece. Putting normal hard disks on computers that are supposed to be fully mobile is not a good idea. That is the reason older laptops had shock mounted hard drives (and the reason some laptops like the macbook have sudden motion sensors to park the hard drive heads).
Asus made the right choice on this one (well, maybe they could offer a choice but that would drive costs upwards).

Besides, the eeepc is not exactly a laptop. The role of an ultraportable is not to replace your main computer.
C750 :: Switching between Angstrom and Debian armel :: SD Kingstron 2GB (ext3) :: SD Toshiba 512MB (ext3) :: CF Transcend 80x 1GB :: CF Lexar 4x 256MB :: Ambicom CF WiFi :: Targus CF Modem :: Brando solar charger

Tom61

• View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 02:51:18 pm »
Quote from: AmigaFalcon

You could always get an 8G model and add in a 16GB SDHC (~$70 now) to get 20GB of free space.

Of course, with the new models announced, I'm guessing you're going to continue to wait.

harvell

• View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 10:56:28 pm »
I'm a proud EeePc owner... well actually my wife is but I'm about to get myself a black one since I keep stealing it from her.  
C1000 w/...  Cacko Lite (When I use the Z alot for business)... pdaXrom (when I see something cool and want to try it.  Best way for me to learn shell commands)
Eee PC for Mrs. Harvell  
4G SD

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 03:34:38 am »
Quote from: harvell
I'm a proud EeePc owner... well actually my wife is but I'm about to get myself a black one since I keep stealing it from her.  

get the big screen variant, you need to make sure you have better gadgets than your wife!!!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

ZDevil

• View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 04:40:16 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
get the big screen variant, you need to make sure you have better gadgets than your wife!!!
Yes... how true... and *because* my wife also seems to like my black 701 pretty much ... i have a perfect reason to get another one with a bigger screen  

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

jfv

• View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 04:48:58 pm »
I got a 2G last week and took it on a trip and it works fine. So far, I've kept the default distro and added the extra repos as per the wiki. Installed some software without problems. I might try other distros on an SD card later.

I was afraid it might not work so well and took the Zaurus along, but I didn't need to worry and the Zaurus might be retired from active duty.
SL 5000 D  and C860 Sharp ROM
Too many accessories...

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008, 09:13:36 pm »

Well, I had one too...until I sold it to harvell......

So, at this point I'm like jpmatrix, waitin' for the 'fff'n PC.....

Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

scottlfa

• View Profile
Any Eee Pc Owners Here?
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 11:52:41 pm »
Bought an E a few days back, Lowest model [2G Surf]
Got it running Ubuntu 8.04 [Everything Works so far, including hot keys and such]

I have found it too be a reasonable mini laptop, not even close to my UX [I know theres a big price difference].  I carry it with me when I go places I would worry about the UX, I know it sounds cruel but I am not nearly so worried about it, its reltively easy to replace.

Specs aren't bad, screens usable [midori renders real well], keyboard is good but not as solid feeling as I had hoped.  Mouse is well a touchpad ... seems the nub mouse is becoming very scarce.  Wifi is as expected as are the other features.  Anyhows.

Tried eeeXubuntu on it, didn't like the lack of scaled x app windows [like 8.04 ubuntu],  dumped xandros right off [never much liked it] and tried a few other Os options.  MacOS did load installer wise, but I need a better flash drive in it before attempting again [internal mod to come].  Wont bother with windows, the UX has it and its all good.  Everything works now in U8.04 including hotkeys and full cpu speed so I am happy.  Went with beryl over compiz due to compatibility reasons, its all pretty now.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 11:59:46 pm by scottlfa »
"So there I was, spitting on my goldfish trying to keep it alive ..."
---------------------------------------------------------------< O >-------------------------------------------------------
Viliv N5 [Debian]
Acer One Running OSX 10.5.7 [Dell 3190 & Ram Upgraded]
SL-C1000 [ZUbuntu], JasJar [WM 6.5], Nokia N900, and Samsung Galaxy S 4G.
Sony Ux280P [Kbuntu 10.4 Lucid], PsP Go and DSi