Author Topic: What Do You Guys Do With A Zaurus?  (Read 18653 times)

teh.sean

• View Profile
    • http://
What Do You Guys Do With A Zaurus?
« on: April 23, 2008, 09:38:10 pm »
I'm slow. I just found out about these not too long ago. I'm trying to decide between a 3100 or a 3200. I want to try out a few linux flavors (and maybe OpenBSD), use it for offsite monitoring of my home network, and some light emulation.

So I pose the question to you guys, 'What do you do primarily with your Zaurus?'

matthis

• View Profile
    • http://badaboum.bidibom.free.fr/mat/
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 02:11:44 am »
- Listen to music and watch movies in the train.
- Note appointments/schedule
- Use dictionaries for translation.
- Play gameboy advance games.
- Check e-mail.

(using Sharp rom)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 02:12:05 am by matthis »

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 07:54:09 am »
-Web browsing
-Programming
-Games
-Wireless sniffing
-OS tinkering

Probably more that I'm forgetting...

PS- The C3100 and the C3200 are the SAME (just the C3200 has 2GB more in the HDD). Get whichever is cheaper
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

zogs

• View Profile
    • http://www.autistici.org/c0de
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 07:59:18 am »
- pentesting
- c programming
- perl programming
- shell script programming
- php+mysql for web server programming
- mass storage
- for watch movie (if I have one)
- for listen music

(now with pdaxrom b3 because is the best)

OpenBSD is very cool (real OS in your zaurus) but very slow when compiling from ports or from source.
For me OpenBSD is the best if :
- have more packages precompiled
- have mass storage function for one hd fat32 formated (like cacko, pdaxrom, angstrom, etc)
and other stuff for using like a pda.
neo freerunner openmoko user
chi calicunu cheret chircàrme:
c0de - - icq: 256646501 - msn: zogs@hotmail.it - skype: zogsound
..astrolicamus

teh.sean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 08:29:08 am »
Quote from: zogs
OpenBSD is very cool (real OS in your zaurus) but very slow when compiling from ports or from source.
For me OpenBSD is the best if :
- have more packages precompiled
- have mass storage function for one hd fat32 formated (like cacko, pdaxrom, angstrom, etc)
and other stuff for using like a pda.
It sounds like it would almost be a good idea to get a second Zaurus devoted to compiling, sitting around at home doing the dirty work. I mean, I would *HATE* to have to get two of these things. ; )

apink

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 03:05:22 pm »
-mobile spreadsheet for use at work.  This is why I bought it.  It saves a lot of time  .
-pim stuff
-learning linux

I am a neophyte in the computer world and really appreciate the support in the forums here.  The Z is a great tool in large part because of the efforts of all of the people who have worked on its development in the community here.
--current use--
linux chroot on top of lineage  on cell phone

--past handhelds--
pandora
ben nanonote
zaurus sl-c1000

Jon_J

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 07:43:43 pm »
I really like the form factor.  I already have a Palm, but purchased 2 Zauri for the reasons below.

1. Learning Linux
It has helped me a lot in learning about how Linux works, although the Sharp/Cacko ROM have an "unusual" file system setup, and pdaxii13 runs entirely in root.

2. Webpage reading
I really like to use it to read webpages that I save for later. I have also found that a lot of document formats, when converted to a webpage with larger bold fonts, are a breeze to read while on the go, on my Z.
I also like to surf the web, although the wifi "b" standard is kinda slow.

3. Games.
I play mostly RPG type games, that don't need the latest 3-D graphics. I find that I enjoy a well thought out storyline better than a game that barely runs because the graphics are too resource hungry.

4. Portable dictionary and wiki - unit converter
These come in very handy while away from my desktop PC.

5. Digital camera companion
The screen is fantastic compared to most camera's built-in viewers. I can save a lot of space on my camera cards by reviewing and deleting unwanted photos.

6. Many more things, too many to mention in this short post.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:45:26 pm by Jon_J »
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

adf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 12:36:42 pm »
Quote from: Capn_Fish
-Web browsing
-Programming
-Games
-Wireless sniffing
-OS tinkering

PS- The C3100 and the C3200 are the SAME (just the C3200 has 2GB more in the HDD). Get whichever is cheaper
I thought the 3100 had an earlier revision of the pxa 270 that was more conducive to overclocking?
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

HoloVector

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 01:42:09 pm »
Quote from: adf
Quote from: Capn_Fish
-Web browsing
-Programming
-Games
-Wireless sniffing
-OS tinkering

I thought the 3100 had an earlier revision of the pxa 270 that was more conducive to overclocking?
Technically yes but, realistically it doesn't matter all that much since you can still stably get up to 624MHz out of the processor in a 3200 just like a 3100.  The key is only boost the processor frequency and not the rest of the frequencies.  That means that a 3100 will be a hair faster since it can take 624/312/156MHz just like my 1000 but, you will probably get an annoying backlight flicker that will drive you batty (just like my 1000 gets).

Here's what my Zs are used for:

C1000 (Cacko 1.23)

-ScummVM (gotta have my Adventure Collection with me at all times)  
-Calendar Reminders (not so much since I got an iPod Touch)
-tkcMahJongg and Shanghai
-MP3s (not so much since I got an iPod Touch)
-TextMaker
-tkcPanels (got it for my son but these jigsaws can be addicting)    
-Qtopia Interface Hacking (for my son's C860)
-Light Web Browsing

C3200 (pdaXii13 5.4.9 Akita upgraded to Alice Full)

-Learning Linux
-Testing and customizing Window Managers (Working with e17 and iceWM mainly)
-ScummVM (TyScummVM version.  The best version for playing the Broken Sword versions with full cutscenes!)  
-Heavier Web Browsing (not so much since I got an iPod Touch)

Lately, I have been using the C1000 more than the C3200 because the work I doing on my son's C860 (which is also running Cacko 1.23) to customize it for a 6 year olds use.  It been challenging since he can't fully read yet....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 01:43:08 pm by HoloVector »
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 04:47:48 pm »
web browsing, wifi sniffing, serial console for managing cisco network kit, ssh terminal using openvpn client *, rss reader, media player (mp3, movies, internet radio streams), vnc or rdesktop client to control media player, VOIP phone (saves me money on international calls when I'm in USA calling UK).

basically, anything you can do on a micro laptop. so long as you're willing to invest a bit of time especialy when it comes to transcoding videos if that's your thing.

* when I am on call it's nice to not have to break out the laptop, I have an audiobox GPRS card giving me mobile data, but I can also use a bluetooth card to talk to a 3G mobile phone too; not tried employer's huawei e172 usb modem with the zaurus yet as I think I need a powered hub.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

teh.sean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 12:33:16 am »
Wow, a lot of stuff I did not know was possible. I bought a 3100, just waiting for it to come in. *twiddles thumbs* Guess I`ll have a replacement for my Libretto 70 now! What software package is good for internet radio? There are a few ogg streams I listen to (if you like bleeps and bloops check out kohina.org). Would it be like xmms?

jh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 01:29:35 am »
Quote from: teh.sean
Wow, a lot of stuff I did not know was possible. I bought a 3100, just waiting for it to come in. *twiddles thumbs* Guess I`ll have a replacement for my Libretto 70 now! What software package is good for internet radio? There are a few ogg streams I listen to (if you like bleeps and bloops check out kohina.org). Would it be like xmms?
That may depend on the image you choose for your 3100... I'm running pdaXii13 on my C1000 and honestly, the best setup I have found so far for listening to music (mp3's and streaming in my case) is Rox configured to play mp3 files via mplayer.

Quasar is a close 2nd, but I don't think it does streaming.  I've tried xmms but (to me) it seems to be a bit too much for my Z.

jason

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 05:35:54 pm »
Quote from: teh.sean

there's a shoutcast client that runs on cacko/sharp.

I found that Kino, the media player for cacko, didn't like some streaming media URLs, but you can play directly with mplayer, and I hacked up a command line app to play an m3u and pls file instead.

not sure if Quasar media player will do streaming media?

on angstrom or debian, there's lots of choice, like xmms.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 05:36:24 pm by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

eviLjazz

• View Profile
    • http://katastrophos.net/andre/blog
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 06:14:36 pm »
I'll see what I can do to improve streaming support in the next major version of Quasar.
Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200/36GB running Cacko : Fujitsu LifeBook U2010/64GB SSD running Win7 : Nokia N900 (yes, flame me.) Blog : Twitter : Trac
Quasar Media Player : QScrobbler : Enhanced audio driver and mixer for C1000/C3x00 : Unified Sharp/Tetsu/Cacko/pdaXrom Kernel 2.4.20 branch : My packages : Sources

teh.sean

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2008, 06:46:59 am »
So is it easier to thumb type or use a usb portable keyboard with these things? What are you guys using for text input?