Author Topic: Ubuntu Frisky Firedrake Available...  (Read 7829 times)

cortez

• View Profile
    • http://www.omegamoon.com
Ubuntu Frisky Firedrake Available...
« on: May 07, 2008, 06:18:01 am »
Hi,

I've asked for a dedicated Ubuntu subforum, but since Ubuntu is based on Debian I posted this here for the time being.

I've finally uploaded a version 0.1 of Ubuntu Frisky Firedrake for all of you to try. Detailed instructions can be found here. Thanks to speculatrix for hosting the files.

It's a bit different than all the other images I guess. Since this is just a version 0.1, I've based the installation instructions on the Qemu (ARM) emulator. There's much left to be fixed and configured, so this is much easier done in Qemu on a fast machine instead of doing it on the much slower Zaurus.

Please help me to get to a version 1.0 as soon as possible, by giving it a try, and sharing your thoughts, suggestions and hopefully your patches/fixes/scripts etc. Also, let me know if there are any errors in the instructions.

Have fun,
cortez
[div align=\"center\"]== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
www.omegamoon.com
Zaurus SL-C750 - Died in a dreadful coffee experiment, has a second life somewhere in the Czech Republic
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Multiboot Zubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Poky, Android and others
Zaurus SL-C3100 - Development device, currently Zubuntu 2.0
Zaurus SL-6000L - The fridge is running Zubuntu 1.0
Zaurus SL-C860 - Cacko, untouched since kindly donated, waiting for Zubuntu
== == == == == == == == == == == == == ==[/div]

tux

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 01:02:30 pm »
 Hi Cortez,

I've seconded your request for a forum.

I had a little play with the android stuff on my 3200 before I went back to Cacko recently. I'm having fun playing with the Ubuntu under Qemu stuff thanks to your blog and Paul's hosting of the files. I certainly learn things when I follow your suggestions!!  

I expect I'll break this system a half dozen times before the evening is over. Whatever the outcome of this experiment I'll certainly have a few clues about Qemu and the process of building Zaurus usable file systems before too long. Thanks again and also to Speculatrix for the hosting.  

I installed openssh-server first. I expect I'll find a way of sshing in from a terminal session soon.    I'm going to add a normal user and see if I can start to use X as a normal user. I suppose I'd better have a quiet look at the sudo set up etc.

Cheers

My goodness! That was a quick response!!!!   I started posting in the Debian forum and finished in the new Ubuntu one!  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 01:09:11 pm by tux »
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

cortez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 03:05:03 pm »
Gee, I'm enjoying my 15 minutes of fame  here
www.omegamoon.com
Zaurus SL-C750 - Died in a dreadful coffee experiment, has a second life somewhere in the Czech Republic

mikeones

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:37:54 pm »
Nice write up.  I will give this a look...
sl-3100

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 03:40:06 pm »
EXCELLENT, cortez!

Thanks for sharing this with everyone!

Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

zogs

• View Profile
    • http://www.autistici.org/c0de
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »
cool...src/ubuntu created  
neo freerunner openmoko user
chi calicunu cheret chircàrme:
c0de - - icq: 256646501 - msn: zogs@hotmail.it - skype: zogsound
..astrolicamus

axeTail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 04:21:37 am »
Quote from: cortez
Hi,

I've asked for a dedicated Ubuntu subforum, but since Ubuntu is based on Debian I posted this here for the time being.

I've finally uploaded a version 0.1 of Ubuntu Frisky Firedrake for all of you to try. Detailed instructions can be found here. Thanks to speculatrix for hosting the files.

It's a bit different than all the other images I guess. Since this is just a version 0.1, I've based the installation instructions on the Qemu (ARM) emulator. There's much left to be fixed and configured, so this is much easier done in Qemu on a fast machine instead of doing it on the much slower Zaurus.

Please help me to get to a version 1.0 as soon as possible, by giving it a try, and sharing your thoughts, suggestions and hopefully your patches/fixes/scripts etc. Also, let me know if there are any errors in the instructions.

Have fun,
cortez

Well done cortez,

What are the advantages of using ubuntu over debian ?

Thanks....

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 04:44:06 am »
Quote from: axeTail
... snipped ...
Well done cortez,

What are the advantages of using ubuntu over debian ?

Thanks....
 Advantages:

1.  We can easily use Qemu to test and tweak on our desktop/laptop/umpc before installing on the Z.  

2. The installation method is a lot more straightforward.   Apparently, fairly straightforward on the C1000 also?

Looking at cortez's website, omegamoon, the install is just a normal Z flashing process. You follow the instructions for Android on cortez's site but use frisky-minimal-rootfs.tar.gz renaming it to android-rootfs.tar.gz.

It would also seem to me that once the FieryFiredrake release from cortez reaches version 1.0  we'll have an Eabi, Debian based, linux on the Z which should be reliable, stable and useful.

I suspect that it won't be any faster than the Debian installs.  

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 04:45:24 am by tux »
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

cortez

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 06:26:00 am »
Quote from: tux
1.  We can easily use Qemu to test and tweak on our desktop/laptop/umpc before installing on the Z.
I like that part too. It's much easier to configure. This applies to Debian too by the way. I'm pretty much done with documenting this for Debian too. I've installed Debian using the Debian Installer in Qemu. Running Debian from the Qemu (ARM) emulator, you're able to build Ubuntu or any other Debian-ARM-based distro. Pretty cool actually. For the rest, it's just a matter of taste I guess. Freedom of choice is a good thing. If you're happy with Debian, it's stable and you're able to run all stuff you want, don't switch to Ubuntu. Be sure never to fix a working system!

2. The installation method is a lot more straightforward.   Apparently, fairly straightforward on the C1000 also?
Looking at cortez's website, omegamoon, the install is just a normal Z flashing process. You follow the instructions for Android on cortez's site but use frisky-minimal-rootfs.tar.gz renaming it to android-rootfs.tar.gz.
I forgot to mention, this should indeed work for the C1000 also, not only for the C3x00.

It would also seem to me that once the FieryFiredrake release from cortez reaches version 1.0  we'll have an Eabi, Debian based, linux on the Z which should be reliable, stable and useful.

What can you expect, extraction of 80+Mb takes some time
www.omegamoon.com

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 06:35:22 am »
Quote from: cortez
... snipped...

What can you expect, extraction of 80+Mb takes some time
  Sorry cortez, I meant to say "I suspect that it won't run any faster than Debian."  

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

crossblaim

• View Profile
    • http://80kv.com
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 06:36:23 am »
Hey, thank you very much for your efforts, cortez.

I'm trying the version 0.3 of the image in my zaurus SL-C3200, my network card is working fine but I'm getting 302 moved temporarily errors runing apt-get. do you know what must be the problem?

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 05:45:15 pm »
Quote from: crossblaim
Hey, thank you very much for your efforts, cortez.

I'm trying the version 0.3 of the image in my zaurus SL-C3200, my network card is working fine but I'm getting 302 moved temporarily errors runing apt-get. do you know what must be the problem?

check your apt sources and put them into a regular web browser, and verify that they work there - it might be a typo in the file, or cortez might have tweaked things?
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

AeroSigma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 06:37:38 pm »
What hardware do I need to run this?  It's about an 80MB root-fs, so I can't really install it on my SL-6000.  But you've got instructions to alt-boot Android to SD card on a CL-1000, and the Zubuntu uses the same install procedures as your Android.  Is it possible to adapt this process for the 6000?

-AeroSigma
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:47:07 pm by AeroSigma »
SL-6000L - Sharp ROM
Tetsu's Kernel