Author Topic: Akita Install Report  (Read 3973 times)

nontrivial

• View Profile
    • http://james.nontrivial.org
Akita Install Report
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:27:54 pm »
I just installed zubuntu on my akita (Zaurus SLC1000) using an SD card for root and I just wanted to post how it is going so far. For the most part it runs fine. It takes a while to boot and start X, but once it is up and running it's actually faster than I thought it would be for most things. Just for giggles I tried suspend and was pleasantly shocked to see it works flawlessly.

Tweaks:
* I dedicated a swap partition on the SD card, but it wasn't usable until I ran mkswap on it.
* Added "/dev/mmcblk0p3 none swap sw 0 0" to fstab mount the swap automatically on boot.
* Added "/dev/mmcblk0p2 /media/card auto defaults 0 0" to fstab to mount an extra partition on the SD card.
* Added "/dev/mtdblock3 /media/nand jffs2 defaults 0 0" to fstab to mount NAND flash partion.
* Added "/dev/hda1 /media/cf auto defaults,sync,noauto 0 0" to fstab be able to easily mount the CF card.

Non Problem Problems :
* tskeys was running wild so I killed it (killall tskeys).
* Got funky warnings about understanding it's not a touch screen but X seems to work OK.
* Added pxa2xx_cs to modules and "modprobe pxa2xx_cs" to be able to mount the CF card.

Problems:
* Sound isn't working. spitz modules inserted, no errors with aplay, just no sound.
   GUI volume control automutes eventually, cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp is black hole.
* Can't seem to rotate the display.

TODO:
* Get networking working and really start hacking.
* Get sound working.
* Get rotating working.
* Get Angstrom working dual boot style to compare.
* See about speeding things up some more.

Questions:
* How does one do home, end, and PageUp, PageDown, and  function keys?
* Is it possible to switch over to a virtual console (hence the need for fn keys)?
* How does one map the calendar, address, mail, home, and menu keys?

TIA,
James

canguy247

• View Profile
Akita Install Report
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 09:21:46 am »
Quote from: nontrivial
Problems:
* Sound isn't working. spitz modules inserted, no errors with aplay, just no sound.
   GUI volume control automutes eventually, cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp is black hole.

Sound is working, it is just muted.  Use alsamixer and unmute the "left mixer" and "right mixer" channels.
SL-C1000 - Debian 2.6.24.4-yonggun (from SD)
Pandora preordered
4GB Transcend 150X SD
16GB AData CF
USB Host cable
Bluetooth USB Dongle/Linksys WCF12 CF Wifi
TRENDnet TE-CF100 10/100 Wired ethernet CF / DM9601 usb ethernet
Palm III keyboard neoprene case

nontrivial

• View Profile
Akita Install Report
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 10:24:07 am »
Quote from: canguy247
Sound is working, it is just muted.  Use alsamixer and unmute the "left mixer" and "right mixer" channels.

Thanks, I will try that out when I get a chance.

I also forgot to mention that the clock resets on every reboot. Hopefully that will be fixed in the next version.
Also the touch screen is fairly jittery, is anybody else getting that? I tried calibrating the screen but it didn't help. Is there some sort of sensitivity setting I can adjust somewhere?

James

nontrivial

• View Profile
Akita Install Report
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 09:17:36 pm »
Quote from: canguy247

Thanks, I will try that out when I get a chance.

Yup that did trick. I'm glad you mentioned which of the (literally) 60 options to tweak.

James

canguy247

• View Profile
Akita Install Report
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 11:35:49 pm »
I also forgot to mention that the clock resets on every reboot. Hopefully that will be fixed in the next version.

cd /dev
mknod -m 660 rtc c 10 135
At least date and time seems to be preserved across reboots now.
SL-C1000 - Debian 2.6.24.4-yonggun (from SD)
Pandora preordered
4GB Transcend 150X SD
16GB AData CF
USB Host cable
Bluetooth USB Dongle/Linksys WCF12 CF Wifi
TRENDnet TE-CF100 10/100 Wired ethernet CF / DM9601 usb ethernet
Palm III keyboard neoprene case

ofels

• View Profile
    • http://
Akita Install Report
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 11:16:05 am »
[quote name='nontrivial
[/quote]

Set the time once from a console by applying "date -u MMDDhhmmYY" with MMDDhhmm be month, day,hour,minute and year.

Afterwards a simple "hwclock --systohc" stores the date in the realtime clock of the Z so it can survive reboots.

Needless to say that it does not ssurvive a battery failure for a longer time...

Oliver

apink

• View Profile
Akita Install Report
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 12:49:41 pm »
I have been using pdaxii13 nicely for several years on a daily basis regularly.  Last year I migrated to debian briefly.  I just tried zubuntu yesterday.  For the most part it looks nice.  I now have it completely on the sd card, so boot and startx times will hopefully drop when it is on the internal flash.  But . . .

Just for giggles I tried suspend and was pleasantly shocked to see it works flawlessly.

. . . I am often just getting a blank screen with a flashing underscore cursor at the top of the screen when I come out of suspend.  I am doing this with the power switch as was with pdax and every once in a while it does come back completely.  I searched the forum for this and there is no mention.  Am I missing something?

edit:  After a day with it I have learned to stop my old pdaxrom learned habit of holding the power switch in for a couple of seconds to turn on and off.  Suspend has been working just fine if I just hit the button quickly.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 01:23:43 am by apink »
--current use--
linux chroot on top of lineage  on cell phone

--past handhelds--
pandora
ben nanonote
zaurus sl-c1000