Author Topic: Howto: Zubuntu Installation On Sl-c760  (Read 8842 times)

BerndS

• View Profile
Howto: Zubuntu Installation On Sl-c760
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:33:07 am »
Hi,

after getting Zubuntu to work on my SL-C760 with a lot of help from this forum I've created a detailed description about the steps that are necessary to install Zubuntu on the SL-C760:

http://home.arcor.de/bnsmb/public/htdocs/z...he_SL_C760.html

The description is in German language but hopefully it's useful for non-german speakers only ... If not , let me know and I'll create an english translation.

Thanks again for the gread help from this forum to get this working

regards

Bernd

wrc4

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:46:54 am »
Thanks for sharing. I will try this tonight on my sl-c760 variation: SL-7500C. BTW, google web page translation helped because I don't read Germany.
Zaurus SL-C1000 (Debian)
Zaurus SL-7500C
Nokia N810
KOHJINSHA SC3
ASUS EEEPC 701
ASUS WL-HDD 2.5
ASUS WL-500GPv2
WD MyBookWorldEdition (with a Segate 500G HD inside)

BerndS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:47:12 pm »
Quote from: wrc4
Thanks for sharing. I will try this tonight on my sl-c760 variation: SL-7500C. BTW, google web page translation helped because I don't read Germany.

Let me know how it's going so that I can update the webpage if neccessary

regards

Bernd

wrc4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 01:49:46 am »
Quote from: BerndS
Let me know how it's going so that I can update the webpage if neccessary

regards

Bernd

It went pretty well. I just took my previous installation and applied your changes. Touch screen worked pretty well. I was also able to use USB network to connect to the internet via my Windows XP box.

However, rtc is NOT working for me. Everytime I reboot it went back to 1970. The other issue is that when I leave the device in sleep mode for a while and turn it back on, sometimes X will freeze or go blank. The only way to get out of it seems to be pulling out the battery. I was able to get sound with your alsamixer settings but for only for one channel.

I will try more things later.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:51:34 am by wrc4 »
Zaurus SL-C1000 (Debian)
Zaurus SL-7500C
Nokia N810
KOHJINSHA SC3
ASUS EEEPC 701
ASUS WL-HDD 2.5
ASUS WL-500GPv2
WD MyBookWorldEdition (with a Segate 500G HD inside)

danr

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 03:32:08 am »
I've used Zubuntu and Debian, and I've also noticed that X sometimes crashes when turning the device on after suspending.  I can ssh into it, but that's not much consolation if I'm away from a PC.

My solution? Install xdm, so that if X crashes, it restarts itself straight away.

The only downside to this approach is that after reboot xdm kicks in and the touch screen doesn't work correctly, so I make sure a terminal is loaded immediately (edit .xsession to do this - just copy the contents of .xinitrc first), and then I can do

[div class=\'codetop\']CODE[/div][div class=\'codemain\' style=\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\']/etc/init.d/xdm stop[/div]

to stop xdm and go back to the command line.  Then I log in again, and do

[div class=\'codetop\']CODE[/div][div class=\'codemain\' style=\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\']/etc/init.d/xdm start[/div]

which gives X all the environmental variables necessary to get the touch screen working correctly.

Dan
SL-C860 running Debian EABI on top of Angstrom 2.6 kernel

BerndS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 12:07:10 pm »
Hi,

It went pretty well. I just took my previous installation and applied your changes. Touch screen worked pretty well. I was also able to use USB network to connect to the internet via my Windows XP box.

However, rtc is NOT working for me. Everytime I reboot it went back to 1970.

Did you issue the date -u command and the hwclock command?

Looks like the -u is mandatory to make the time persistent

The other issue is that when I leave the device in sleep mode for a while and turn it back on, sometimes X will freeze or go blank. The only way to get out of it seems to be pulling out the battery. I was able to get sound with your alsamixer settings but for only for one channel.

Hmm, I did not try the supsend / resume with Zubunutu in depth.

regards

Bernd

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 04:33:24 pm »
Thanks for the great manual.
All up and running (Jaunty 9.04) on a C860.

Gnumeric, Galculator, Sylpheed, pidgin, even gnome-games (I love tetravex), ... everything seems to work !

Having fun,
Chero.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

WolfpacK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:18:34 am »
Hello, I am having trouble booting into Zubuntu on my c860. I installed the kernel from the omegamoon blog and extracted the zubuntu root fs onto a 2g sd card. But I can't figure out the contents of the kernel-cmdline file. What should the kernel-cmdline file contain? I tried using the kernel-cmdline mentioned in this guide but that would only return me to the bootmenu selection after selecting Zubuntu.

Please, if somebody can help me out here I would really appreciate it. Thank You.

YoG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:02:07 am »
Quote from: WolfpacK
Hello, I am having trouble booting into Zubuntu on my c860. I installed the kernel from the omegamoon blog and extracted the zubuntu root fs onto a 2g sd card. But I can't figure out the contents of the kernel-cmdline file. What should the kernel-cmdline file contain? I tried using the kernel-cmdline mentioned in this guide but that would only return me to the bootmenu selection after selecting Zubuntu.

Please, if somebody can help me out here I would really appreciate it. Thank You.

I didn't have to edit anything for it to work. I just extracted the root fs (you can get the 9.04 one from here), and then the machine specific root addition (from here). And everything worked out of the box...
C860 Autobuilt Angstrom (OPIE) & Zubuntu 9.04  dual boot using kexec
SanDisk SDHC 4GB, Agiwara Sys-Com CF 1GB, Sandisk CF 256MB, Socket BT, Linksys WCF12 Wifi card, RoyalTek RBT-1000 Bluetooth GPS
yogzlog.blogspot.com