Author Topic: State Of The Kernel Feb 2010  (Read 9645 times)

HRH_H_Crab

• View Profile
State Of The Kernel Feb 2010
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:29:18 am »
It seems to me that the current state of the kernel as far as Debian on Zaurus is concerned is farcical.
It looks like Yonggun kernel development has ground to a halt, and my experiments with the Ubuntu kernel were not very promising.
In a lot of ways I would be happy to stick with the last Yonggun kernel, but the problem is that Debian has now moved forward and things are getting messy.

Users have got to stick with an old version of Udev and my gut feeling is that soon stuff is going to break which will result in users not having an upgradeable install.

So how do we move forward?

Is building an updated kernel for Zaurus something practical for end users? I'm pretty geeky but I don't think it will be easy to manage all the patches manually.

Is the Poky kernel a suitable candidate? I've seen it referred to, but has anyone tried it? I found the Ubuntu kernel "messy" with Debian on the Zaurus but I can't remember exactly what I didnt like about it.

Is anyone actively carrying out work on Yongguns sources?

Someone said that the problem is that charging is somehow broken with newer kernels, is this being worked on and by who?
Is there a freenode channel where people working on that hang out by any chance?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:31:39 am by HRH_H_Crab »

axeTail

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 03:36:22 pm »
Good post. I guess plenty of us are wonder what's happening with kernel dev.

I would make sense to find out if the Debian community could provide zaurus kernel updates. Just like openbsd....

HRH_H_Crab

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 01:03:17 pm »
Quote from: axeTail
Good post. I guess plenty of us are wonder what's happening with kernel dev.

I would make sense to find out if the Debian community could provide zaurus kernel updates. Just like openbsd....

Sadly I think it is highly unlikely that we will get a kernel from the Debian community.
I suspect that there may be non free stuff in the Zaurus kernels we use which Debian can't or won't touch.

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 03:24:24 pm »
Thanks for starting this thread!

Quote from: HRH_H_Crab
my gut feeling is that soon stuff is going to break which will result in users not having an upgradeable install.

I feel this too, and it scares me a little sometimes.  I'm mostly sticking with "stable" for now, and when it comes to it, I'll stick with "oldstable"... that should buy a few years at least until I can get something better than zaurus, (beagleboard,gumstix,etc)...

..but I hate how the community has died out over the past few years... saddening.

Is building an updated kernel for Zaurus something practical for end users? I'm pretty geeky but I don't think it will be easy to manage all the patches manually.

I think this is the most practical thing we can do... still trying to bring myself up to speed... and not getting there fast.

Is anyone actively carrying out work on Yongguns sources?

I work on small things passively, not actively.  Sorry. Not enough resources.

Is there a freenode channel where people working on that hang out by any chance?

I second this question..  would love to help out in any way.  Starting a channel isn't hard at all, but maintaining it becomes harder.

EDIT:  Just found the following:

http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/zauru...ary/thread.html
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:38:09 pm by radiochickenwax »
ZAURII:    sl-6000 : (temporarily) bricked pdaxrom b1   ||   sl-c3200 : yonggun/Debian-EABI
OTHERS:  htc-excalibur,  axim x5,  ipaq 4355, (still trying to find useable linux setups)
thinking about gumstix to replace/augment zaurus

axeTail

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:56:04 am »
InSearchOf is in the process of releasing pdaxrom 2.0

http://insearchof.inventgen-solutions.com/

Maybe it would make sense to focus our energy on this????
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:56:46 am by axeTail »

HRH_H_Crab

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 06:11:16 am »
Personally speaking I want to stick with debian.
Kernel aside, this is the perfect system for me.

HRH_H_Crab

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 06:14:07 am »
Quote from: radiochickenwax
EDIT:  Just found the following:

That is interesting.
At least there is someone working on something.

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 03:07:27 pm »
Off-topic: I spilled coffee all over my zaurus a few days ago, and need to buy a new LCD cable, so I'm out of business for awhile, and I'm focusing on debian for htc dream right now.

At least there is someone working on something.

Agreed! Looks like they're up to date on the kernel too.  

Personally speaking I want to stick with debian.

I'm sticking with debian too.  

It's not perfect, but it works very well IMO.   However, sometime back I think InSearchOf was porting Ubuntu to pdaxrom?  That would be interesting, but this isn't really the place for that discussion.
ZAURII:    sl-6000 : (temporarily) bricked pdaxrom b1   ||   sl-c3200 : yonggun/Debian-EABI
OTHERS:  htc-excalibur,  axim x5,  ipaq 4355, (still trying to find useable linux setups)

HRH_H_Crab

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 01:26:12 pm »
However, sometime back I think InSearchOf was porting Ubuntu to pdaxrom?  That would be interesting, but this isn't really the place for that discussion.

Well there is already Cortez / Omegamoons ubuntu but I don't like the gui stuff, and the latest kernel has a lot of video glitching on my 3200.

http://www.omegamoon.com/blog/

btanoue

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 10:40:26 pm »
Hi,

I just recently dusted of my C1000....yeah!

So, I need something fairly recent, but I'm not sure what...

I'm thinking of using my z as a wireless NAS attached to a USB key/hardrive.
Low power, and enough processing power.

Is there a link on how to install the current debian on my akita?

Thanks...and yes, there are a lot of lurkers out there like me :-)

btanoue
Zaurus SL-C1000
Cacko 1.23 and updated sd-mmc driver
4 Gig SD
Linksys WCF-12 CF Card

SL-5500 quietly sitting on shelf
ROM (unknown)
256 M SD Card

Netgear Wireless CF cards are the worst, went through 2 of them!

radiochickenwax

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 03:59:48 pm »
Quote from: btanoue
Is there a link on how to install the current debian on my akita?

Well, there are many methods to do so... this might get you started
https://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Debian...eries_models%29

(Someone really ought to clean that page up)

macwiz

• View Profile
    • http://www.macwiz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 02:37:49 am »

I have been trying to follow the instructions there to install Debian on my c860, but so many of the links do not lead anywhere - especially as far as using Angstrom for altboot/kexecboot is concerned, which it seems I have to do for the c860. I am confused about what kernels are available and what boot technique I can use. Suffice to say I haven't managed to get Debian running.

If anyone can point me to a way of getting Debian working on my c860 using resources that are readily available now, I would be grateful.
Macwiz
c860, never quite lived up to my expectations... my fault I guess
17in MacBook Pro lovely xxxx
iPhone 3G ummm
SE P990i with UIQ3. Never enough RAM.
Pocket Loox 720 used for designing ebooks. Just don't like it though!

macwiz: apple mac support in Oxfordshire
Twitter: @boffinboy

danr

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 05:15:54 am »
Quote from: macwiz

I have been trying to follow the instructions there to install Debian on my c860, but so many of the links do not lead anywhere - especially as far as using Angstrom for altboot/kexecboot is concerned, which it seems I have to do for the c860. I am confused about what kernels are available and what boot technique I can use. Suffice to say I haven't managed to get Debian running.

If anyone can point me to a way of getting Debian working on my c860 using resources that are readily available now, I would be grateful.

I've sent you a PM, but it didn't end up in my sent box, so I'll repeat it here.

I must admit I don't use my Zaurus all that much now.  Anyway, from memory what I did was follow the instructions on the Omegamoon site for installing Ubuntu, but instead of the Ubuntu filesystem I installed the Debian filesystem.  So:

1) Flash the multiboot kernel

2) Untar the Debian rootfs on an ext2 or ext3 formatted SD card

3) Untar the C7x0-specific extra files from the Omegamoon site to the SD card (look for 1. Making preparations for running Zubuntu)

I think that was it in its simplest form, although in the end I also installed Angstrom on flash and installed altboot on top of that.  The reason was that I found the filesystem would occasionally get corrupted.  I don't know why, maybe the SD card was a bit dodgy.  So in the end I created a loop-back image with the Debian root filesystem on it and mounted it via altboot.  The advantage was that it kept the SD card as a fat filesystem which made backing up things more easy, and it seemed to be more stable.  On the downside, filesystem access would slow down at times.

I'd recommend you don't install altboot at first and see how it goes.  If it isn't stable then try altboot, but I had to hack the script to get it working, so it is more complicated.

Slightly off-topic, but thought I'd say that I have stopped using my Zaurus for the time being because I found the maintenance effort quite high.  I was using Emacs with Org-mode, connecting it to my PC at work via the USB cable, and logging in to see my to-do list on my work monitor.  I found it slow to use on the ARM processor, and the USB link would go down from time to time so I would have to reconnect the cable and log in again, something I always found to be an issue between the Zaurus and a Windows PC.  I also found the latest c7x0 kernel, 2.6.26, to sometimes not charge the internal battery, which caused more frustration.  The 2.4 kernels were better in this regard, but I'm not sure about if you can run Debian on the older kernels.

Now I've installed the calendar app Rainlendar at work and home, which allows me to view and edit my Google calendar and task list in RememberTheMilk, both of which are free.  It's not as nice as always having the details on you, but it's low maintenance and it just works.
SL-C860 running Debian EABI on top of Angstrom 2.6 kernel