Author Topic: Cacko Kernel For Sl-5500/5000d  (Read 486400 times)

dougeeebear

• View Profile
    • http://
Cacko Kernel For Sl-5500/5000d
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2005, 01:08:01 pm »
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 08:13:33 am by dougeeebear »
Zaurus SL-C1000 and SL-5500
NetWalker PC-T1 (tablet)

chrisl

• View Profile
    • http://web.mac.com/iepfreaks/iWeb/Site/Main%20Page.html
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2006, 12:06:37 am »
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Since I have have read this post umpteen times and have used it to switch from OPIE to Cacko/Crow ROM on my Collie, I feel compelled to post. I have installed the Cacko ROM and the 64-0 update, replaced the SD driver and changed the FATOPS parameter in the sdcontrol file and the entire distribution works well. It has been up and running with several reboots and a hard reset for two days without problems. WiFi works, Opera, Hancom apps, kopi, kapi and usb-storage all work like a charm.

This is the fourth (or fifth?) such installations with this arrangement. The other three (or four) met with miserable failure. It turns out that two or three of the installations were "broken" by SD card issues. I had a Sandisk that just could not stomach having an ext2 partition. I purchased a new Lexar and tried it. Only partial success. That time I neglected to re-flash with the 64-0 update kernel and the thing was unbearably slow. I switched to a Hentges ROM, which worked, but had no Opera or usb-mass storage. I tried Cacko/Crow ROM again, this time following directions from this thread and [a href=\"http://wach-o-witz.de/sharp_zaurus/cacko.html]http://wach-o-witz.de/sharp_zaurus/cacko.html[/url], and installation went well. Applications also ran fairly fast. However, the next time I booted, it kept looping into the Zaurus flash screen. I went back to the Hentges ROMs, this time installing loop-file images and direct root installations and found tons of write errors. a faq on the OZ website indicated that some SDs do not handle ext2 well and need to be zeroed. So I zeroed my disk as per the instructions on that faq and my very last installation went well.

While this distro is old, it works well. The installation process is quite complicated, and thus prone to errors, but once done completely right, makes the Collie into a highly functional device. Cheers to Maslovsky for your work on this distro and all the posters who clearified the installation process.

Chris--
Zaurus SL-5500, Kodak CF 32 & 256 MB, generic (pqi) 1 GB SD & polaroid 1 GB SD, tkc 2a3 with home on SD, Belkin F5D6060 CF WiFi Card, MacBook Pro 1.8 GHz Core Duo, OS X 10.4.10

chrisl

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2007, 03:31:16 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Since I have have read this post umpteen times and have used it to switch from OPIE to Cacko/Crow ROM on my Collie, I feel compelled to post. I have installed the Cacko ROM and the 64-0 update, replaced the SD driver and changed the FATOPS parameter in the sdcontrol file and the entire distribution works well. It has been up and running with several reboots and a hard reset for two days without problems. WiFi works, Opera, Hancom apps, kopi, kapi and usb-storage all work like a charm.

This is the fourth (or fifth?) such installations with this arrangement. The other three (or four) met with miserable failure. It turns out that two or three of the installations were "broken" by SD card issues. I had a Sandisk that just could not stomach having an ext2 partition. I purchased a new Lexar and tried it. Only partial success. That time I neglected to re-flash with the 64-0 update kernel and the thing was unbearably slow. I switched to a Hentges ROM, which worked, but had no Opera or usb-mass storage. I tried Cacko/Crow ROM again, this time following directions from this thread and [a href=\"http://wach-o-witz.de/sharp_zaurus/cacko.html]http://wach-o-witz.de/sharp_zaurus/cacko.html[/url], and installation went well. Applications also ran fairly fast. However, the next time I booted, it kept looping into the Zaurus flash screen. I went back to the Hentges ROMs, this time installing loop-file images and direct root installations and found tons of write errors. a faq on the OZ website indicated that some SDs do not handle ext2 well and need to be zeroed. So I zeroed my disk as per the instructions on that faq and my very last installation went well.

While this distro is old, it works well. The installation process is quite complicated, and thus prone to errors, but once done completely right, makes the Collie into a highly functional device. Cheers to Maslovsky for your work on this distro and all the posters who clearified the installation process.

Chris--
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=140720\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I realize this is a very old thread and I was the last post, but perhaps some folks have information regarding these ROMs. I have gone full circle on the various ROMs. My current ROM is OZ OPIE, but it is problematic and I want to try the Cacko Crow ROMS again. Does anyone know where I can find the Cacko Crow 32-32 ROM? Also, where can I find the home on SD script from the tkc rom? I had these things on a backup CD, but the CD is gone as is the download links on the ZUG website.

Chris--
Zaurus SL-5500, Kodak CF 32 & 256 MB, generic (pqi) 1 GB SD & polaroid 1 GB SD, tkc 2a3 with home on SD, Belkin F5D6060 CF WiFi Card, MacBook Pro 1.8 GHz Core Duo, OS X 10.4.10

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2007, 03:38:30 pm »
Chris said

I realize this is a very old thread and I was the last post, but perhaps some folks have information regarding these ROMs. I have gone full circle on the various ROMs. My current ROM is OZ OPIE, but it is problematic and I want to try the Cacko Crow ROMS again. Does anyone know where I can find the Cacko Crow 32-32 ROM? Also, where can I find the home on SD script from the tkc rom? I had these things on a backup CD, but the CD is gone as is the download links on the ZUG website.

I've tried to link to a thread which says where to find the tkcrom files including the home-on sd script.

link to thread

As regards the crow roms, try Google, I'm sure I found it some time ago.

Cheers

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 03:42:59 pm by tux »
3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
SL860 Cacko 1.23 full, new SDHC >2GB module,
6000L SharpRom 1.12 + Tetsu kernel,
5500 TKC home on SD x 2 (with SD>1GB),
Archos PMA30 with OPEN PMA (Giraffe),
Nokia 770 (Hackers Edition)
Nokia 800 (ITOS 2008), 4GB SDHC x 2
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Tmobile HTC Wildfire.. rooted and on Cyanogen's 7.3 nightly Rom
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

All the above are retired

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

chrisl

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2007, 05:02:19 pm »
Chris said

I've tried to link to a thread which says where to find the tkcrom files including the home-on sd script.

link to thread

As regards the crow roms, try Google, I'm sure I found it some time ago.

Cheers

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks! That script is the old one and has some bugs. kb7sqi is sending me the revised one. I might try to post it on my website or upload it on the forum thread that covers the tkc roms. I've googled for the crow roms and all links lead back to the defunct ZUG site. Oh well, thanks for the response.

Chris--

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2007, 01:53:02 pm »
Chris said

[/quote]

Thanks! That script is the old one and has some bugs. kb7sqi is sending me the revised one. I might try to post it on my website or upload it on the forum thread that covers the tkc roms. I've googled for the crow roms and all links lead back to the defunct ZUG site. Oh well, thanks for the response.

Chris--
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
[/quote]

Enlighten me!

The script at the link given is the modified one, I think from Derekp, that addressed some of the issues with the one included in the tkcrom. What problems/bugs are you referring to?

What does the new improved script offer? I'm going to look at the site you refer to and I'm also going to look for the Crow site. I'll post if I find it.

Perhaps you might care to bump the threads at the bottom of the forum about fixing the Zug downloads? I feel like I've become nagger in chief to the admins!  

Good luck and I'll try and find you the info.

3200 aka BigZ, swapped in 16GB Sandisk Extreme III CF, Cacko 1.23 full,  new SDHC >2GB module,
Asus eeepc 4G (black), with 1GB ram, dual boot Xandros on SSD with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx on 16 GB SDHC,
Tmobile G1 Android (black), with Cyanogen's  Firerat's MTD script and Amon Ra Recovery 1.7.0
Kopi/Kapi on everything bar the phone and the Nokias, there is a beta for the nokias...

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

chrisl

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2007, 04:05:10 pm »
Quote from: tux,Jul 1 2007, 11:53 AM
Chris said

Chris--
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164041\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
[/quote]

Enlighten me!

The script at the link given is the modified one, I think from Derekp, that addressed some of the issues with the one included in the tkcrom. What problems/bugs are you referring to?

What does the new improved script offer? I'm going to look at the site you refer to and I'm also going to look for the Crow site. I'll post if I find it.

Perhaps you might care to bump the threads at the bottom of the forum about fixing the Zug downloads? I feel like I've become nagger in chief to the admins!  

Good luck and I'll try and find you the info.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164105\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
[/quote]

To tell you the truth, I do no know what was wrong with the original home on sd script. I read about it when I first starting using the Z a year ago and did not know what they were talking about. Only that the new script name has ....test..zip in the name. Funny. It is possible that the current site has the modified script but changed the name of the zip file.

Now, another moment of ignorance. I do not know who hosts the ZUG site, so would the admins of this forum be able to do anything   !

Chris--

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2007, 07:15:27 pm »
 Hi Chris,

the script at the link I gave is the same one I originally got from the ZUG downloads. I seem to remember it had the name you gave when I originally got it. As i remember the original, buggy, script is in the rom. The fixed script, the one you have been talking about needs to be run by cd-ing to the directory it is in and running it from that location.

Your question about who hosts the ZUG site made me feel very old!

The admins for OESF are the admins for the ZUG!

www.zaurusgroup.org is the link to try. It is the original way of getting to the forums etc!

Have a look. The downloads section had all the files you have been asking for.

If you look at the threads about "whats needs to be fixed" and fixing the attachments you will see that dz has been saying that he doesn't have access to all the files, that ISO can only deal with a limited number of the problems and offroadgeek (the originator of the site) has said that he will try to see that dz gets all the stuff he needs and that he is looking for some trusted people to take over the whole thing.

By the way, I did find a mirror for the crow rom using Google. It doesn't have the original apps though. But you've no doubt discovered that they can be found in various feeds.

Cheers

« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:39:46 am by tux »

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

chrisl

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2007, 12:45:32 am »
tux,

I really appreciate the effort you are putting into this. Just to let you know the link "zaurusgroup.com" is no longer active. Bummer. I also tried to suck the ZUG site to get some of the files. No dice. Oh well. I am sure those files will turn up one way or another.

Thanks,
Chris--

**Update**
I found a whole slew of the apps and roms usually found on ZUG. Here is the link:

http://www.elsix.org/downloads/

I had been on this page before and thought I had bookmarked, but did not. This link did not appear on my google search for the various roms, but did appear when looking for the updated home on sd rom for tkc: prep-home-sd_test5.zip.

So, if folks are looking for the Cacko ROMS for the SL-5500 and others, the Hybrid ROMS for the Collie and a whole bunch of other stuff, this is the site to go!

Thank you tux and everybody else who helped me look for these ROMS.

CL--

Hi Chris,

the script at the link I gave is the same one I originally got from the ZUG downloads. I seem to remember it had the name you gave when I originally got it. As i remember the original, buggy, script is in the rom. The fixed script, the one you have been talking about needs to be run by cd-ing to the directory it is in and running it from that location.

Your question about who hosts the ZUG site made me feel very old!

The admins for OESF are the admins for the ZUG!

www.zaurusgroup.com is the link to try. It is the original way of getting to the forums etc!

Have a look. The downloads section had all the files you have been asking for.

If you look at the threads about "whats needs to be fixed" and fixing the attachments you will see that dz has been saying that he doesn't have access to all the files, that ISO can only deal with a limited number of the problems and offroadgeek (the originator of the site) has said that he will try to see that dz gets all the stuff he needs and that he is looking for some trusted people to take over the whole thing.

By the way, I did find a mirror for the crow rom using Google. It doesn't have the original apps though. But you've no doubt discovered that they can be found in various feeds.

Cheers

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164126\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 01:19:48 am by chrisl »

tux

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 02, 2007, 04:47:16 am »

Hi Chris,

I should have put org on the link not com. It is there but many of the features don't work.  

I shouldn't post past my bed time!  

I'm afraid you'll discover that a lot of the ELSIX links are to the ZUG page, which does exist, but the links to the ZUG downloads don't work!

I have grabbed the initrd.bin's that kb7??? uploaded in a thread about 2 gb Sd cards on the 5500. I hope to check them out soon

Cheers

Samsung Note 8 N5110
Samsung Note N7105
FBreader on the lot!

chrisl

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2007, 06:35:42 pm »

Hi Chris,

I should have put org on the link not com. It is there but many of the features don't work.   

I shouldn't post past my bed time!  

I'm afraid you'll discover that a lot of the ELSIX links are to the ZUG page, which does exist, but the links to the ZUG downloads don't work!

I have grabbed the initrd.bin's that kb7??? uploaded in a thread about 2 gb Sd cards on the 5500. I hope to check them out soon

Cheers
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=164146\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

The links on the elsix page are dead ends (to the ZUG page). However, hidden on the downloads/feed page are a bunch of "lost" software titles that seem to be hosted on that page. The upgraded home on sd card script is there. I know now what the difference is. It seems that the script went through several upgrades, the latest was test 5. It seems that that script overwrote a swap file on the ram disk. I also will be testing Steven's ROMs shortly. I have downloaded the Cacko 32-30 kernel and will be running Steven's modified tkc2 rom on top of it. I am also going to test the asyncio kernel just for kicks.

Chris--