Author Topic: Archlinuxarm On C3x00  (Read 93473 times)

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2015, 03:22:50 pm »
Quote from: danboid
Mark:

I don't think daal or I have mentioned it so far but you also have to copy the firmware dir within the kernel; tarball to /usr/lib .

That's the correct location isn't it daalnroti?

The firmware files go to /lib/firmware.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:23:04 pm by daalnroti »
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2015, 03:25:46 pm »
I bought a new USB BT adapter but it looks like I'm unlikely to get it working under kernel 3.11. My £1 BT adapter is manufactured by SIGNALEX and lsusb describes it as:

0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth

It works on my x64 Arch box running kernel 4.1.6 but I'm not the only person struggling to get it to work under 3.11.x according to this thread:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1221995

The good news is that the btusb kernel module loads OK but obviously I can't confirm it actually works.

EDIT

I've got a bit further with this device now on the Z. I thought it wasn't going to work as the `hciconfig` command showed a hci0 device but `hcitool dev` showed nothing UNTIL I ran:

Code: [Select]
hciconfig device up
Which is something I've not had to do before in my limited BT experience. After running that, `hcitool dev` shows a hci0 device but scanning is failing currently so I cannot pair with my phone. I've only tried it plugged directly into the OTG port so I'll be trying again with a powered hub later to see if that helps.

I can add this https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=60824#c6 patch to the 3.11.3 and compile again, it might fix the issue with your BT.

Later I will find some time upgrade the kernel but for now I like to get a proper kexecboot and stabel 3.11.3 going before messing around with a new kernel.
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

danboid

• View Profile
    • http://
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2015, 05:08:47 pm »
daalnroti:

I don't think there'll be any need for that patch as I've got my phone to pair with my Z but I'm still working on getting the tether working as that dbus-send command on the Arch wiki didn't work for me.
Zaurus SL-C3000 w/ MD swapped for a Kingston 32GB Ultimate 266X CF running ALARM
Banana Pi running ALARM on a WD Scorpio SATA II HD
System76 Gazelle Pro i7 laptop w/ SAMSUNG 840 EVO SSD running Arch x64

How to install Arch on your C3x00 Zaurus https://github.com/danboid/ZALARM-install

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2015, 06:41:10 pm »
Not sure what's going on.....

Been trying to get the Arch tarball untarred on my laptop running LM17.....but keep getting different error messages...

Either can't change ownership or other messages...

I'm doing the tar command as root in terminal.....

Hmmmm.....................

Assume once I am able to uncompress file onto my SD card, I'll just copy them over to my microdrive partition.....
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

danboid

• View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2015, 06:56:12 pm »
So you're using a command ike

bsdtar xvf Arch.tar.gz -C /mnt/cf
Or similar to extract are you?

Note you have to extract Arch to a Linux partition or you'll get errors - vfat, exfat etc won't work.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:59:47 pm by danboid »
Zaurus SL-C3000 w/ MD swapped for a Kingston 32GB Ultimate 266X CF running ALARM

How to install Arch on your C3x00 Zaurus https://github.com/danboid/ZALARM-install

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2015, 12:52:30 am »
So you're using a command ike

bsdtar xvf Arch.tar.gz -C /mnt/cf
Or similar to extract are you?

Note you have to extract Arch to a Linux partition or you'll get errors - vfat, exfat etc won't work.

Oops....forgot about bsdtar....been using tar....

OK, installed bsdtar.....

And another oops....was trying to extract to a vfat formatted card.....

Just downloaded Arch tarball again....

Will try again to extract to card in the morning....had a long day at work.....

Thanks for your help...
MacBookPro

danboid

• View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2015, 07:13:45 am »
My SparkLAN WCFM-100 finally arrived but its not working properly unfortunately.

Before I could use it at all I had to copy the firmware into the right dir as the current Z ALARM kernel tarball didn't include any libertas firmware so I created /lib/firmware/libertas and I copied these files into it:

cf8385.bin
cf8385_helper.bin

I had these files under /usr/lib/firmware/libertas/ on my Arch Linux PC. I expect they are shipped with most kernels / distros. I wouldn't think the architecture of the kernel would matter.

I had to manually download and install libnl, dialog and wpa-supplicant before I was able to run netctl's wifi-menu program. It found my access point fine and let me connect but a few seconds after running
pacman -Syu
I start to get and endless stream of errors like:

libertas_cs 0.0 wlan0: TX lockup detected
netctl / Arch seemed to be defaulting to IPv6 so I disabled that with the  ipv6.disable=1 kernel argument in boot.cfg and rebooted but I still have the same problem. pacman doesn't even finish syncing before the TX lockup error breaks the connection.

I wonder if libertas_cs still has a maintainer? :/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 07:17:49 am by danboid »

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2015, 11:43:43 am »
OK, here's where I am at...

1. Installed kexecboot on my Z and it boots up with it

2. Created ext2 partitions on microdrive. Will change to ext3 or ext4 later after I get Arch running on Z....

3. Extracted Arch tarball using bsdtar to my SD card

4. Copied boot.cfg, contents of 3.11.3-c3x00, and zImage-3.11.3-c3x00 to /boot on SD card

5. Copied contents of firmware to lib/firmware on SD card [ see a lot of individual files, not in folders in /firmware, is this OK? There's lots of folders in there too...]

6. Copied modules for kernel 3.11.3 to /usr/lib/modules on SD card

In /boot on SD card I see another zImage file there besides zImage-3.11.3-c3x00. Should I delete the zImage file? Do I need to then rename zImage-3.11.3-c3x00 to be zImage?

From here (assuming I have contents of the SD card correct) I plan on copying the contents of the SD card over to one of my microdrive partitions and then boot up Zaurus and hope that it works....

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:02:13 pm by ArchiMark »
MacBookPro

danboid

• View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2015, 12:24:14 pm »
Mark:

Sounds like you're pretty much there -have you tried booting it yet?

I don't think the extra kernel image in /boot really matters - I deleted it without any probs. All that really matters in the kexec config is that the path to the kernel in boot.cfg is correct.

daalnroti:

The only report I've found of someone having my wifi prob is this:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/liber...May/003490.html

Thankfully he includes a patch so I'd appreciate it if you could try applying it for me if it never got mainlined?

Thanks!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2015, 02:51:54 pm »
Mark:

I don't think the extra kernel image in /boot really matters - I deleted it without any probs. All that really matters in the kexec config is that the path to the kernel in boot.cfg is correct.

Haven't booted it yet.....

Still need to copy contents of SD card over to /dev/hda1 partition on microdrive.....
But have some issues now with mounting SD card...

Last time I used SD it was formatted as vfat...now it's ext2, at least when I read what it says in terminal on laptop when doing mount command. However, when I use the file explorer program window in LM17 and then open up properties about the SD card it says 'ext3/ext4' ! How do I know which one is correct?

And I assume that if card is actually ext3 or ext4 that would explain why I can't mount card on Z, right?

But if card is ext2 as it says in terminal, then how can I mount card now?

# mount /dev/mmcda1 /mnt/card
mount: Mounting /dev/mmcda1 on /mnt/card failed: Invalid argument

And when I check with dmesg:

mmcda: mmcda1
EXT3-fs: unsupported inode size: 256
EXT2-fs: unsupported inode size: 256

Any suggestions?................

Thanks for your help....
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:06:58 pm by ArchiMark »
MacBookPro

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2015, 03:29:58 pm »
My SparkLAN WCFM-100 finally arrived but its not working properly unfortunately.

Before I could use it at all I had to copy the firmware into the right dir as the current Z ALARM kernel tarball didn't include any libertas firmware so I created /lib/firmware/libertas and I copied these files into it:

cf8385.bin
cf8385_helper.bin

I had these files under /usr/lib/firmware/libertas/ on my Arch Linux PC. I expect they are shipped with most kernels / distros. I wouldn't think the architecture of the kernel would matter.

I had to manually download and install libnl, dialog and wpa-supplicant before I was able to run netctl's wifi-menu program. It found my access point fine and let me connect but a few seconds after running
pacman -Syu
I start to get and endless stream of errors like:

libertas_cs 0.0 wlan0: TX lockup detected
netctl / Arch seemed to be defaulting to IPv6 so I disabled that with the  ipv6.disable=1 kernel argument in boot.cfg and rebooted but I still have the same problem. pacman doesn't even finish syncing before the TX lockup error breaks the connection.

I wonder if libertas_cs still has a maintainer? :/

Firmware : Yes, you  need to copy additional firmwares. Not all can be distributed with the kernel. There exists a firmware package for Arch x86 and ALARM. The firmwares are the same, between the versions as far as I know but better to double check. This here might be an outdated guide :
http://linuxwireless.sipsolutions.net/en/u...ivers/libertas/
Check the kernel git repo for latest firmwares :
http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/gi...t/tree/libertas

IPv6 : Arch has as default IPv6 support, you can disable it if you have no use for it as you mentioned. It does not interfere with normal IPv4 operation and is unlikely the reason for the issue you have.

Libertas_CS : I have no such card and can not troubleshoot or test for you. You may have a faulty card or the driver is unstable. There might be some kernel modules settings for this driver that can improve the connection. Also the WiFi Access Point you are connecting to may show some hints why you get TX lockups ? Maybe try to limit you WiFi speed. Can you show some dmesg etc and config files ?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 04:11:06 pm by daalnroti »

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #101 on: October 13, 2015, 03:36:44 pm »
Quote from: ArchiMark

2. Created ext2 partitions on microdrive. Will change to ext3 or ext4 later after I get Arch running on Z....

4. Copied boot.cfg, contents of 3.11.3-c3x00, and zImage-3.11.3-c3x00 to /boot on SD card

5. Copied contents of firmware to lib/firmware on SD card [ see a lot of individual files, not in folders in /firmware, is this OK? There's lots of folders in there too...]

In /boot on SD card I see another zImage file there besides zImage-3.11.3-c3x00. Should I delete the zImage file? Do I need to then rename zImage-3.11.3-c3x00 to be zImage?

From here (assuming I have contents of the SD card correct) I plan on copying the contents of the SD card over to one of my microdrive partitions and then boot up Zaurus and hope that it works....

Thanks.

You can name the kernel file anything you like as long as your boot.cfg is correct.

Kexecboot will show also kernels from SD or Mircordrive that are not listed in boot.cfg but you will be unlikely to get them to boot correctly without the correct parameters.

The latest kernel release from my github (v0.4) has only one kernel image inside to avoid confusion.

When booting kexecboot, make sure you have no SD card inserted with a kernel image on it.

Also you can ungzip the ALARM tarball using " gunzip -d " to your SD. Then properly untar the uncompressed tar to your microdrive.

Copying your files from SD to Microdrive might work if done correctly as root, better would be to untar directly to preserve all permissions.

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #102 on: October 13, 2015, 03:40:30 pm »
Mark:

Still need to copy contents of SD card over to /dev/hda1 partition on microdrive.....

Last time I used SD it was formatted as vfat...now it's ext2, at least when I read what it says in terminal on laptop when doing mount command. However, when I use the file explorer program window in LM17 and then open up properties about the SD card it says 'ext3/ext4' ! How do I know which one is correct?

And I assume that if card is actually ext3 or ext4 that would explain why I can't mount card on Z, right?

Thanks for your help....

Try again from scratch with a known working card.

You can use FAT on the SD card if you dont extract the tar ball onto it, just decompress it.
(Better use ext2)

Ungzip ALARM tar ball to SD card. You should have a file ending in .tar

Boot into D+B mode.

Mount Microdrive and SD card.

Extract tar ball to Microdrive from SD card.

Hope this helps.

We need to get a HowTo together to help with these installation steps. I may find some time this week.

Cheers!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #103 on: October 13, 2015, 03:50:29 pm »
Quote from: daalnroti
Mark:

Thanks for your help....

Try again from scratch with a known working card.

You can use FAT on the SD card if you dont extract the tar ball onto it, just decompress it.
(Better use ext2)

Ungzip ALARM tar ball to SD card. You should have a file ending in .tar

Boot into D+B mode.

Mount Microdrive and SD card.

Extract tar ball to Microdrive from SD card.

Hope this helps.

We need to get a HowTo together to help with these installation steps. I may find some time this week.

Cheers!

OK, will try again....thanks!
MacBookPro

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2015, 03:52:01 pm »
Quote from: daalnroti

Thanks.

You can name the kernel file anything you like as long as your boot.cfg is correct.

Kexecboot will show also kernels from SD or Mircordrive that are not listed in boot.cfg but you will be unlikely to get them to boot correctly without the correct parameters.

The latest kernel release from my github (v0.4) has only one kernel image inside to avoid confusion.

When booting kexecboot, make sure you have no SD card inserted with a kernel image on it.

Also you can ungzip the ALARM tarball using " gunzip -d " to your SD. Then properly untar the uncompressed tar to your microdrive.

Copying your files from SD to Microdrive might work if done correctly as root, better would be to untar directly to preserve all permissions.

Thanks for all the info! Very helpful!
MacBookPro