Author Topic: Shipping email (I got my Gemini PDA)  (Read 34845 times)

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Shipping email (I got my Gemini PDA)
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2018, 04:11:22 pm »
Gemini has landed!

Just got DHL delivery a few minutes ago....

Including hub, extra charger, leather pouch, and HDMI cable.

When I first connected the charger, it showed orange light for a few seconds and then turned green.

When I opened up Gemini, the little blue light is on, which according to the 'Quick Guide' means battery is too low. If that's the case, shouldn't the outside light have stayed orange to indicate it's charging?

Anyway, Gemini looks great!

It's about same size as my iPhone 8+, but about 1 cm longer....

Very cool when you open it up and see the nice little keyboard...

Mark
Order 4276
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2018, 05:54:00 pm »
DHL tracker said mine would arrive today, so I switched around my schedule so I would be at home.

When it didn't arrive, I phoned DHL and guess what: they gave it to the post office, who say they will deliver it Monday. So the DHL tracker is not always accurate, it seems.

Hong Kong to Cincinnati, 1 day. Cincinnati to my house (also in Ohio), 4 days. We live in interesting times.

dep
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2018, 06:12:17 pm »
Sorry to hear this, depscribe.....

Mine also got hung up in Cincinnati yesterday. Fortunately, it got on a plane to California early this morning and thus it was delivered a few hours after plane got here.

So it goes....

Hang in there, it won't be long now.....
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Isaac

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2018, 06:32:14 pm »
Mine got here, no signature required, strangely. So far pretty great with a few oddities, but this thing is awesome!

SNi

• View Profile
    • http://www.sibelle.info
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2018, 09:34:36 pm »
Received mine today (#2063) one day later than the initial DHL notification had specified. No signature required.  I  haven't done anything with it yet, apart from taking various size comparison photos (see attached and http://www.ph2dot1.com/2018/05/gemini-first-look.html) and charging it up...

jornada720

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2018, 11:19:48 pm »
Quote from: SNi
Received mine today (#2063) one day later than the initial DHL notification had specified. No signature required.  I  haven't done anything with it yet, apart from taking various size comparison photos (see attached and http://www.ph2dot1.com/2018/05/gemini-first-look.html) and charging it up...

That's a great collection there!

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2018, 08:26:30 am »
Great comparison pictures, SNi, thanks
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Beiriannydd

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2018, 12:37:04 pm »
Received mine yesterday afternoon.  California 20XX.  It's a wonderful little machine.  I can see this being able to be the One Computer, potentially: I have it hooked up right now to my giant QHD+ monitor and I used developer settings to reduce the DPI and all of a sudden it looks like Linux, with tabs atop Chrome and everything.  Couple that with my mouse and external keyboard and I could comfortably sit at this and code, then take the same machine out and continue in smaller form factor.  I just need the Linux in Android stuff (requires SD card) and then I'll be off to the races.  Does anyone know if there's something which will contextually change the DPI of the device based on HDMI connected or not?

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 05, 2018, 12:43:53 pm »
You can probably do something with Tasker to switch the phone config when devices are connected. Might need root.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:44:15 pm by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Isaac

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 05, 2018, 01:47:37 pm »
Quote from: Beiriannydd
I can see this being able to be the One Computer, potentially: I have it hooked up right now to my giant QHD+ monitor and I used developer settings to reduce the DPI and all of a sudden it looks like Linux, with tabs atop Chrome and everything.  Couple that with my mouse and external keyboard and I could comfortably sit at this and code, then take the same machine out and continue in smaller form factor.

Yes! It is fantastic in this setup. For most of my coding I'm not sure I would ever need another machine, once we figure out how to make the software a bit more comfortable.

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2018, 02:36:42 pm »
Quote from: SNi
Your comparison pictures really brought an epiphany! I remember lusting over the Vaio P and the picture made me realize that the Gemini has a ton more processing power, oidles more memory, the ability to have far more storage, has better video, has a longer lasting battery, is smaller, and costs a whole bunch less. And that's just the computer part -- Gemini is a telephone, too. (Gemini has no pointing device, but the Sony P didn't have much of a pointing device, so . . .)

So I finally don't want a Sony Vaio P anymore. Thank you for that!

(Though I'm cranky -- I had a long photo assignment today and it turns out the post office tried to deliver my Gemini. I wasn't home, so I still don't get it until Monday. Grrr . . .)
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

Carl Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2018, 09:53:09 am »
Just got an email from a local delivery company informing me that my unit has shipped.

Gosh I've been waiting this for way too long.

Order #21xx , non-EU backer.

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2018, 11:35:00 pm »
Order 120X just arrived in Australia!

Keyboard looks and feels excellent. Waiting for the unit to fully charge before I root it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:35:17 pm by a1astair »

Carl Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2018, 03:11:53 am »
Got mine 3 days ago and am typing this reply with it.

Flashed rooted image immediately after I got the unit, and used magisk as root manager as recommended by Planet C.

Then flashed TWRP and Installed systemless xposed framework from there.

Later installed the force immersive module to get rid of the status bar and soft keys.

This device is smaller than I imagined in a good way and I learnt to touch type on the keyboard in 3 days.

This device is just amazing, so please be patient guys, it's well worth the wait.

jutleys

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2018, 08:48:12 am »
OK for uk you should start getting shipping emails soon if anyone gets one please post here thank you all and goodluck.