Author Topic: SFOS Whats working / What isn't  (Read 20177 times)

Meganerd

• View Profile
SFOS Whats working / What isn't
« on: June 17, 2018, 01:22:47 pm »
I have been testing SFOS 2.1.3.7 on my Gemini PDA for a little over a week now as my main OS.

I put my notes on my gitlab https://gitlab.com/Meganerd.eth/Sailfish-Development

Whats working:
* Audio
* Multi touch
* 4G Data
* SMS/MMS
* Receiving calls (To initiate calls you have to switch to 3g mode)
* Bluetooth (Pairing with headset works)
* WiFi
* USB tether
* USB transfer
* SDK working for development
* Front camera
* Notification LEDs (can be modified too but only from config file directly /etc/mce/20hybris-led.ini) Be carefull!
* The keyboard works fine

Whats not working:
* WiFi tether
* I heard GPS isnt working, I have not tested it
* Caps lock LED - Caps lock itself is working but the LED is always on
* Silver button does nothing - I have not checked if its not recognized in XEV, it simply just may not be mapped to any key

What I recommend doing if you flash SFOS:
* Lock the screen orientation otherwise the screen will rotate on you constantly during usage. The fix below worked for everything except Kodi and the native Terminal
* To fix the terminal rotation I just modified ThumbTerm source and compiled an RPM

Lock screen orientation
[div class=\'codetop\']CODE[/div][div class=\'codemain\' style=\'height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto\']i) Backup Page.qml file
    $ devel-su
    # cd /usr/lib/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Silica/Page.qml
    # cp Page.qml Page.orig.qml
    # nano Page.qml

ii) Modify Page.qml (line 115)
    Original line: return Orientation.All
    Updated line: return Orientation.LandscapeInverted

Other views: Orientation.Portrait | Orientation.Landscape | Orientation.LandscapeInverted

iii) Reboot phone to apply changes
[/div]

flotsam

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 04:38:21 pm »
Note on the GPS: I have stated elsewhere that it is not working, but since then I did once get a fix. But only once. It definitely isn't reliable for me. However there may be some easy tweak to get it going.

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 10:45:29 pm »
@Meganerd - Thanks for keeping us informed. I am looking to move over to sailfish when the new version is released, but I am tempted to try 2.1.3.7. So long as it is stable, I might give it a go........

Meganerd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 05:55:44 pm »
Quote from: flotsam
Note on the GPS: I have stated elsewhere that it is not working, but since then I did once get a fix. But only once. It definitely isn't reliable for me. However there may be some easy tweak to get it going.

Interesting, thanks for the info. If you get it let me know, I am trying to put all all of the fixes in one spot for everyone on a gitlab repo notes for others- Personally I do not need the GPS function so I haven't taken a look at it still.

Quote from: vader
@Meganerd - Thanks for keeping us informed. I am looking to move over to sailfish when the new version is released, but I am tempted to try 2.1.3.7. So long as it is stable, I might give it a go........

I have still been using the same SFOS install, I haven't had any issues outside of the ones I listed. I haven't lost signal randomly or experiences any reboots, or anything unstable at all.
2.1.4.14 just released and I am debating on flashing that or not. I have already installed all my packages, re-ordered my apps, setup scripts to run in the background, bookmarks, etc plus my Android build too.

If anyone here has used it I would like to know what differences or fixes are present in that build to determine if its worth the backup and restore time.

Edit:
https://together.jolla.com/question/179223/...223-aliendalvik
Highlighting some notable parts (in my opinion) of the release notes from Jolla on 2.1.4.x

This doesn't say anything about bugfixes, etc but its something.
Some of the changes look specific to other devices also.

Kernel and display security patches
Qt framework updated 5.6.3, including hundreds of bug fixes
Notification banners can now be swiped away with horizontal flick.
App icon size variant 172x172px introduced for Full HD displays
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:13:26 pm by Meganerd »

Dietmar Schwertberger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 07:57:12 am »
I have installed the new triple-boot with SFOS.
Thanks a lot for the hints on your page.
The Page.qml file has changed a bit.
The required modification to enforce landscape is now:
 allowed = Orientation.LandscapeInverted | orientation === Orientation.Portrait | orientation === Orientation.PortraitInverted
to:
 allowed = Orientation.LandscapeInverted

I observed some issues with the new image:
  • When you end with a black screen during the initial boot after installation, try to double-tap the display to wake it up. If that works, you should see the welcome or language selection screen. Everything is fine…
  • If that does not work, you probably can wake up the black screen with the ESC key, but it will show the number pad. As written in the Sailfish OS notes: if you see the number pad at the beginning, then you have to re-boot and try again…
  • And if you just see the rotating circle after booting or unlocking: swipe from the left or right edge of the screen to the center. Otherwise you may have to wait for some 10s to many minutes...
I have been using SFOS for several years now. The quick evaluation on the Gemini has confirmed my estimation that SFOS from a usability point of view is the only OS that matches the Gemini. It's much nicer to use than Android and it's years ahead of Debian for a touch device.
From a commercial Sailfish OS 3 we can expect Android App support.
If it would also allow at least to build and run gtk Linux applications, then it would convert the Gemini to the perfect Smartphone and PC / productivity device. If not, then you probably have to decide for one of these two roles and boot the suitable OS every time or go for text based applications.

Kishe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 08:48:43 am »
Quote from: Dietmar Schwertberger
 allowed = Orientation.LandscapeInverted | orientation === Orientation.Portrait | orientation === Orientation.PortraitInverted
to:

• When you end with a black screen during the initial boot after installation, try to double-tap the display to wake it up. If that works, you should see the welcome or language selection screen. Everything is fine…
  • If that does not work, you probably can wake up the black screen with the ESC key, but it will show the number pad. As written in the Sailfish OS notes: if you see the number pad at the beginning, then you have to re-boot and try again…
  • And if you just see the rotating circle after booting or unlocking: swipe from the left or right edge of the screen to the center. Otherwise you may have to wait for some 10s to many minutes...
I have been using SFOS for several years now. The quick evaluation on the Gemini has confirmed my estimation that SFOS from a usability point of view is the only OS that matches the Gemini. It's much nicer to use than Android and it's years ahead of Debian for a touch device.
If it would also allow at least to build and run gtk Linux applications, then it would convert the Gemini to the perfect Smartphone and PC / productivity device. If not, then you probably have to decide for one of these two roles and boot the suitable OS every time or go for text based applications.

Agreed, when the official sf3 version with dalvik comes by, im going to buy it and it will be my main os!

Meganerd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 10:07:33 am »
to:

Thanks! Ill add the differences to my notes for others who end up looking to patch the landscape view.

Quote from: Kishe
Agreed, when the official sf3 version with dalvik comes by, im going to buy it and it will be my main os!

Is there any confirmation were getting AlienDalvik? I know SFOS has partnered with Planet for SFOS 3 so I was hoping this was true.
And do you mean buy the Gemini or buy an AlienDalvik license?

Dietmar Schwertberger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 12:07:56 pm »
Quote from: Meganerd
Is there any confirmation were getting AlienDalvik? I know SFOS has partnered with Planet for SFOS 3 so I was hoping this was true.

The Sailfish OS 3 page lists "Android support version upgrade" as one of the features.
I would think that a commercial version of Sailfish OS without Android support does not make sense.

The question is more what the long term plan for Android support is. Alien Dalvik will never support anything more recent than Android 4. Maybe Anbox or something similar can be used at some point in future.

Regards,
Dietmar

Kishe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 12:25:08 pm »
to:

Thanks! Ill add the differences to my notes for others who end up looking to patch the landscape view.

Quote from: Kishe

there will be a paid version of sailfish (you got to pay for dalvik licence). eventually...

Wille

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 06:43:43 am »
I have been testing SFOS 2.1.3.7 on my Gemini PDA for a little over a week now as my main OS.
I finally got SFOS flashed (e.g. hanged in tutorial - not able to swipe back from gallery app). But now I can't see any phone settings, no mobile network selection nor SIM subfolder in Settings. No signal strength indicator either. And yes, I have working SIM card inserted and funtion in Android side.

SFOS 2.1.4.14 / 0.0.1+master.20180425220752.e3d6f1b.1 (reported by SFOS About product).
Image Gemini_x27_12062018 dowloaded 25.6.2018 from http://support.planetcom.co.uk/partitionTool.html

I have x27 version, and dual boot with 16GB Android / 40GB Linux split.

BR - Wille
Jolla 1 SFOS 1,2 since 12/2013
Intex Aquafish SFOS 2 since 08/2016
PC Gemini x27 wifi/4G with SFOS 2 CE since 06/2018

Meganerd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 05:20:59 pm »
Quote from: Wille
I finally got SFOS flashed (e.g. hanged in tutorial - not able to swipe back from gallery app). But now I can't see any phone settings, no mobile network selection nor SIM subfolder in Settings. No signal strength indicator either. And yes, I have working SIM card inserted and funtion in Android side.

SFOS 2.1.4.14 / 0.0.1+master.20180425220752.e3d6f1b.1 (reported by SFOS About product).
Image Gemini_x27_12062018 dowloaded 25.6.2018 from http://support.planetcom.co.uk/partitionTool.html

BR - Wille

Sorry to hear that, it seems like a number of users are having a few issues with the SFOS 2.1.4.14 image.
I have yet to flash and test that one out myself so hopefully you get it or find someone who has been testing that image.

You may try looking in to the SIM setup, on my device I can select between SIM 1 and SIM 2, defining which SIM slot to use for data and SMS.

Everything going fine on the 2.1.3.7 install still so I am currently focusing on developing apps and misc scripts for myself at this point.

If you get it working and have any specific fixes let me know!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 05:22:18 pm by Meganerd »

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 10:54:33 pm »
I've made the decision (after reading all the announcements) to take the plunge. I created a rooted android/sailfish setup and will install it on the weekend - so I have time to get it working properly. I have an x25 device - don't know if there is any difference when it comes to sailfish. Will let you know how it goes. I couldn't wait until the end of the year for sailfish

Wille

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 11:08:20 am »
SSH is not enabled, what is strange when developer mode is enabled by the default.
To fix it
- Set/check your ssh password in Developer tools page under Settings
- Open terminal and enter:

Code: [Select]
su-devel
systemctl enable sshd
systemctl start sshd

Wille

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 11:23:05 am »

BR - Wille

There's no 'Mobile network', 'SIM cards' or 'Internet sharing' selections between WLAN and VPN, where those supposed to be. Why's that?

[img]http://gallery.oh5lep.dy.fi:7804/_data/i/upload/2018/06/27/20180627181805-58d3ee16-me.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]

Wille

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 11:44:48 am »

BR - Wille

There's no 'Mobile network', 'SIM cards' or 'Internet sharing' selections between WLAN and VPN, where those supposed to be. Why's that?

. Need more investigation.

Edit: It seems ofono service can/should be disabled and some other service launced it. Anyhow, now I can receive sms, but not make calls. It says 'No network coverage' when trying to make a call.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:40:58 pm by Wille »