Author Topic: ExaGear: Wine on gemini?  (Read 7742 times)

Rafn

• View Profile
ExaGear: Wine on gemini?
« on: September 20, 2018, 03:48:36 pm »
Has anyone tried ExaGear desktop? (https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop/)

Looked promising - appears to have been used to run windows based software on the raspberry pi (https://www.rtl-sdr.com/running-windows-x86-sdr-decoding-apps-on-the-raspberry-pi-3-unitrunker-winstd-c-wxtoimg-dsdplus-and-more/).  Thought I’d ask here before shelling out about $40 for the ARM8 version.

Kiriririn

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 06:27:44 pm »
Yes I've been using it for Dropbox, TeamViewer, heidisql, Office 2007 - generally pretty happy with it

Rafn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 06:39:37 pm »
Thanks!  Will give it a try

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »
Hi,

Have ExaGear Desktop running OK on my little Planet Computer Gemini PDA.

However, I would like to run ToDo List program by AbstractSpoon. It does not have an installer. Just has .exe file.

There is a page that describes how to run program in linux. I am using Debian now.

http://abstractspoon.com/wiki/doku.php?id=linux

On this page it says besides having wine, you need to have cabextract, mfc42, vcrun6.
To install these items, it says to install winetricks first.

I have installed winetricks and tried installing mfc42, but I get error messages during the install:

Code: [Select]
command wget -q -O -http://ipinfo.io/Executing wget -q -O -http://ipinfo.io/ip 199.16.0.9 returned status 8. Aborting.

Rename /home/gemini/.cache/winetricks/comctl32/cc32inst.exe and try again

So, renamed file and tried again, but get same error.

Any suggestion as to getting required .dll files installed?

Another question I have is whether I should doing this in Debian terminal or in ExaGear Desktop terminal environment?

Thanks,

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

ehasbrouck

• View Profile
    • The Practical Nomad
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 03:07:15 pm »
Quote from: Kiriririn
Yes I've been using it for Dropbox, TeamViewer, heidisql, Office 2007 - generally pretty happy with it

Thanks! To be sure, I am buying the right version, are you using the ARM v. 8 version?
current devices: Gemini PDA / Panasonic Let’s Note CF-RZ6
former devices: Psion netBook, 5mx, Revo Plus / Panasonic Let’s Note CF-J10, CF-R7 /  Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000 / Asus Eee PC 901 / Gateway 2000 Handbook 486

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 03:31:09 pm »
Quote from: ehasbrouck
Quote from: Kiriririn

Thanks! To be sure, I am buying the right version, are you using the ARM v. 8 version?

Yes, Exagear Desktop, ARM v8
MacBookPro

rcolistete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 11:33:19 pm »
Does anybody succeeded to run EPOC Emulator inside Wine + Exagear Desktop ARM v8 on Debian 9.x @ Gemini ?

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 04:07:09 pm »
A couple of other questions about exagear on android: the screenshots show black exagear menu bars on either side of the Windows program--can those bars be hidden. leaving only the app on a full screen? And there's no touch screen capability within the Windows program? A mouse is necessary?

Jake
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:12:03 pm by jakfish »

TheKit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 01:13:02 pm »
Quote from: rcolistete
Does anybody succeeded to run EPOC Emulator inside Wine + Exagear Desktop ARM v8 on Debian 9.x @ Gemini ?
Tried for the fun of it, and yes, it works. May need some solution for scaling though.

rcolistete

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 06:29:29 am »
Great !

There are scaling options inside Wine.

I'll try installing and configure EPOC OS Emulator to mimic an Psion 5MX inside Gemini.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:29:55 am by rcolistete »

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 03:45:01 am »
How did it work out? Has anyone found this a working solution to running EPOC programs on their gemini?
My visit here prompted by a warning I read that Exagear may be about to discontinue their Windows x86 emulator for ARM; but that they will continue to honour current licences?€”in other words, if this is a practical route, it may be that I should buy my licence now!
Thanks in advance,
Ian
PS Just to add a link to where it states that this will be discontinued at the end of the month:
https://eltechs.com/product/exagear-desktop...-prices-final2/
click on 'other' for the ARM v8 offering.

Quote from: rcolistete
Great !

There are scaling options inside Wine.

I'll try installing and configure EPOC OS Emulator to mimic an Psion 5MX inside Gemini.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:49:14 am by idc »

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 02:36:32 pm »
Just got this email from ExaGear Team on 2/14/19...thought I'd share it.....better hurry up if you want to buy ExaGear....

Mark

--- Eltechs Weekly News Digest ---

We have discontinued ExaGear...

Dear ExaGear users!

We're really sorry to announce our business decision about discontinuing our services and products.

You'll be able to continue using all of your purchased products, the license checking functionality will work.  

You can download our most recent ExaGear Desktop version 3.1 below:  

ExaGear Desktop for Raspberry Pi 3
ExaGear Desktop for Raspberry Pi 2
ExaGear Desktop for Raspberry Pi 1/Zero
ExaGear Desktop for Odroid XU4
ExaGear Desktop for Odroid C2
ExaGear Desktop for Odroid 32bit
ExaGear Desktop for NVIDIA Jetson TX1 / TX2
ExaGear Desktop for NVIDIA Jetson TK1
ExaGear Desktop for CubieBoard
ExaGear Desktop for Banana Pi
ExaGear Desktop for ARMv7
ExaGear Desktop for ARMv8

We strongly recommend to save ExaGear installation package on your own hard drive because the download won't be available after February 28th, 2019.

In addition, we recommend you to download the following tutorial that will also be no longer available after February 28th, 2019.

How to install and configure ExaGear Desktop

How to Install New Version of ExaGear

To use the new version of ExaGear you should make a fresh (clean) installation of the new version, i.e. uninstall old ExaGear packages and then install new ones. To do so, please, open ARM terminal and run the following commands.

1. Backup your license key:

$ sudo cp /opt/exagear/lic/pk* ~/Downloads

2. Uninstall old ExaGear packages. Note that the following command will fully delete your guest x86 image with all guest x86 applications installed on it!

$ sudo apt-get purge exagear exagear-desktop exagear-raspbian exagear-mem2g exagear-armv8 exagear64 exagear-legacy

$ sudo rm -rf /opt/exagear

3. Download and unpack the archive with ExaGear Desktop 3.1 (*rpi3 is an example, use the right version for your device):

$ cd ~/Downloads/

$ wget http://downloads.eltechs.com/exagear-deskt...top-rpi3.tar.gz

$ tar -xvzpf exagear-desktop-rpi3.tar.gz

4. Install and activate ExaGear:

$ sudo ./install-exagear.sh

The script installs the new version of ExaGear and the guest x86 image that better fits your host ARM operating system. Activation of ExaGear happens automatically but if you got license check fail please proceed with the next step.

What to do if I got license check fail

The license key file should be located in /opt/exagear/lic/. Please check that the license file there. You can do it by typing the following command in terminal:

$ ls -la /opt/exagear/lic/

If you don't see the license key file there please place it in /opt/exagear/lic/. If the license file is in place you can initiate activation manually by typing the following command in terminal:

$ sudo -E /opt/exagear/bin/actool

If manual activation doesn't work please check the following:

Check your internet connection with ping 8.8.8.8
Try to re-download the license key file on your device. Sometimes it's corrupted during download

If you need additional licenses

In case you would like to get another ExaGear license, follow this special link. The orders are available until  
February 28th, 2019 only .

We really value all those who helped us spread our unique technology of binary translation within the community of makers and developers. We appreciate your feedback, which helped us to develop our products.

---
Thank you for your trust!
Best regards,
Eltechs Team

If you want you may unsubscribe

©2019 Eltechs. All rights reserved.
MacBookPro

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2019, 04:32:40 pm »
I bought my licence on the 28th of February. Haven't managed to install it yet. (I put the new Sailfish on, which involved nuking the old Debian TP1, which I'd never really got around to spending enough time with—I'm hoping that I can get the new TP3 installed in due course, and then try Exagear with that.)
I did pop by the link above this evening and it appears to still be operative. Didn't actually buy a licence though, so perhaps it will choke when one tries. Or perhaps they've left it open for a few more days ...

mibry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 11:16:00 am »
I am having strange behaviour with Exagear, everytime I run winecfg it causes the gemini to reboot during the install of mono. Any ideas?

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 03:46:50 pm »
Hi,
I'm sorry to say that I still haven't installed Exagear. Maybe I'll see if I can find some time this weekend to reinstall Debian and have a go with Exagear. I'm definitely interested. I've just been very busy.
Hopefully someone else may have ideas.
All the best,
Ian