Author Topic: The unofficial official my cosmo has arrived thread  (Read 9435 times)

Zarhan

• View Profile
The unofficial official my cosmo has arrived thread
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 03:08:17 pm »
Got shipment notice today, FI/SE keyboard.

23 Jan 2020 18:30    East Grinstead    We have your parcel and it's on its way to you

Says tracking, estimated arrival 30th of Jan (I guess they are sending over ground shipment).

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 03:09:10 pm »
Well, today, on Thursday, January 23, my Cosmo (Swe/Fin keyboard, EU/US mainboard, EU Charger) finally arrived in what appears to be good order.

[Edit]: Mine was shipped via DPD from the UK via Germany and Denmark to northern (just barely) Sweden. DPD says they picked it up in the UK on Monday, January 20 at 6:45 PM and I got the "ready for pickup" SMS 65 hours and 46 minutes later. Pretty good, considering that DPD thought it would arrive on Monday, January 27.

So far, I've basically just turned it on, selected UI language and then keyboard layout, before going back to work. I have, per my habit, taken some photos of it, the packaging and it's content, from various angles, though I doubt they'd depict anything not already generally known or expected.

At this early stage I can really just add that, though being a tad thicker, the Cosmo fits my Gemini slipcase just fine. I'll keep it there until the Cosmo case comes. At some point, I intend to ask a local shoemaker to make me a simple wallet-style case, to protect the plastic ends of the device a bit better. Oh, and, when taking my photos, I noticed that not all of the slightly increased thickness is in the lid. The keyboard section seems to account for half a millimetre or so, probably to fit the light guide sheet for the keyboard backlight... which I realize I must check out right now...

Ooh, backlight... how I've been longing for it... mmm. Ok, so it's a bit uneven. I don't care. I've seen worse. It's entirely functional. It's gets the job done. No more counting keys in the dark. Yay. Well, now you will have to excuse me. I have a Cosmo to set up. Wish me luck.

[Edit]:After getting things set up well enough, on Sunday, February 9, I took the plunge, moved my main SIM card to the Cosmo and stopped carrying around my Gemini and my previous daily driver. So far so good. The camera isn't stellar, but I knew that, and there's a few things Planet will need to fix, but, well, the Cosmo is the first product that, in a (really sharp) pinch could conceivably be my only digital device.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 06:16:34 pm by Daniel W »

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2020, 08:54:09 am »
My Cosmo arrived today.

I had also ordered the "connectivity kit", but it's not yet fulfilled on Indiegogo.

Despite this, I got USB-C to HDMI cable included in the package. Not the USB-hub with Ethernet ports and whatnot, just the HDMI cable.

Did others also get the HDMI cable with their device (with or without the connectivity kit?)

NormMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2020, 12:24:01 pm »
> Did others also get the HDMI cable with their device (with or without the connectivity kit?)

I backed the Connectivity Kit and received both the HDMI and the hub (both branded for Gemini) along with my Cosmo in late November.

I imagine they had a bunch of old stock that they included in the box until they eventually run out of stock.  I imagine once they get new stock they'll ship them separately wherever they weren't able to include it with the original Cosmo shipment.

I also backed the vehicle mount thingy, but did not receive that yet.  I don't imagine it is any different from the Gemini one.  I wonder if anyone received a vehicle mount with their Cosmo?

TheBruce

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 06:03:01 am »
Quote from: Zarhan
I had also ordered the "connectivity kit", but it's not yet fulfilled on Indiegogo.
Despite this, I got USB-C to HDMI cable included in the package. Not the USB-hub with Ethernet ports and whatnot, just the HDMI cable.
Same here, backed the all-in upgrade and the car mount. With my Cosmo I also only received the Gemini-branded USB-to-HDMI cable. Sent an email inquiring about this about two weeks ago and received this answer on January 16th:
"Anything that hasn't been shipped with your order will be shipped separately within 2 weeks from today. At the time we shipped everything that was in stock, as we didn't want to hold the Cosmo by stock limitations for the accessories."

So, based on the timeline trend set by Planet Computers on Indiegogo, I expect the rest of the stuff will arrive sometime in the next three months.

Vistaus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 10:16:51 am »
I only now realize I haven't even posted in this thread! I received my Dvorak EU Cosmo last Thursday

szopin

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 10:38:51 am »
19xx polish keyboard, EU plug, arrived today, V15, codi updated to 1.1.12 after 4-5 tries, I guess the .13 one requires higher base android version? All keys seem to work fine which is a huge relief, yay

szopin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2020, 10:00:04 am »
Quote from: szopin
All keys seem to work fine which is a huge relief, yay
Welp, spoke too soon, left shift key works only half of the time. Do you guys think it will get better with usage? Is there some safe DIY way to fix it? Really don't want to send the cosmo back as that's at least few weeks on top of the 14 month wait so far, just for one key

MonkeyControl

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2020, 08:12:15 pm »
All keys seem to work fine which is a huge relief, yay
Welp, spoke too soon, left shift key works only half of the time. Do you guys think it will get better with usage? Is there some safe DIY way to fix it? Really don't want to send the cosmo back as that's at least few weeks on top of the 14 month wait so far, just for one key
Mine had a sticky 'Alt' on the left, every time I opened my Cosmo up it kept getting its nose stuck under the blank bit with the LED in it to the left of the 'Q'.  I also had a slightly dozy 'K' that required a slightly firmer poke.  
I've had mine a month and the 'Alt' key is getting stuck only very occasionally, and I hardly notice the dozy 'K', so it's either settling in or I'm compensating.  
There are a few discussions on here about the KB.  I'd give it a bit of time, hopefully yours will settle in too.

Pikku-iikka

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 02:14:33 pm »
Hello,

at the bottom follows my exact farewells to IGG Cosmo forum. It finally was 'only' a 10 months waiting time for me. When chinese new year stroke - with the brexit and all, I just thought I don't wait for this thingy any more. Just see if my emails have something, some day... Then corona thing came, and I thought all hope is lost (not that the device is that important really). Just a week ago I asked an open question how things are. And received instant public answers from Planet. Very weird, not only for me, but to those backers too who still are waiting for the the device.

Well, what can I say, other than this:

""""""""""
Got my Cosmo. After reading all the barking, I was afraid I would receive a ‘scam device’ with plastic parts popping out while SW unusable. My money taken… What did I get? A fine package with a well build device. Looks good, feels good. Suberb keyboard! Try to second that… Device is not bulky at all. Instead, just the right size so I can type with my right hand while device resting on my left palm. I’m a big guy of course, with big hands… Same W/H ratio as my Galaxy Note 8, thicker a bit.

All keys working with a suberb looks, touch and feel. Cosmo is smaller than in photos! Update cycle V15 --> V19 went quickly. CoDi too at 1st try: DL with wifi, Install with no SIM in, radios off, No-disturb on. Apparently I'll meet with some bugs. Those will be met. Anyone developing this kind of device IS serious. Not scam. All of you waiting will get your Cosmos, I think. Fine effort from Planet. My hope is that it gives them cash to support it and the the Gemini further. Bye to OESF. -iikka
"""""""""""

I thought before getting the thing, that I would do a self-made common pouch for the Cosmo and the Note 8. They are sized quite equally and everything... The Note 8 has a fantastic camera, in-built stylus with all the climpses. But I'm not that sure any more, their combined weight is quite huge. I will see to this. I like big handy things, I'm a big guy (195 cm / 130 kg) - aka Little-Ike - with big hands too. But there is a limit...

Now that I could find the post, where some of my fellow countrymen (was it Jouni Mäki...?) wrote about an app that would let me to change some letters of the keyboard. Ö and Ä namely, the latter is used more but put under the FN key...

I will not tweak this device much, until you more pro's open the paths. My goal is to have a well working Linux on it, and as an Jolla user a Sailfish version alongside.

-iikka
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:48:05 pm by Pikku-iikka »
Pikku-iikka (alias Little Ike - 194 cm / 130 kg)
Planet Cosmo Communicator
Samsung Note 8, Jolla Phone (Sailfish), Nokia N9 (Meego)
Raspberry Pi 4B / RetroPie setup emulating Amiga.

maki.jouni

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2020, 04:22:16 pm »
Quote from: Pikku-iikka
Now that I could find the post, where some of my fellow countrymen (was it Jouni Mäki...?) wrote about an app that would let me to change some letters of the keyboard. Ö and Ä
Yep, it was me... Can't remember where is that exact post, but FinQwerty was that app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?....qwerty.finnish
Cosmo Communicator (Fin/Swe), Mix2, Sony Xperia XZ & Z3, Nokia N900, Nokia PARSA, HTC Touch Pro, Qtek 9100, Nokia 6600 & 6210 & 2110, Mobira Talkman

Pikku-iikka

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2020, 12:59:00 am »
Quote from: maki.jouni
Yep, it was me... Can't remember where is that exact post, but FinQwerty was that app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?....qwerty.finnish
Thank you, Jouni. This is a great app, not only for fin/swe users (or Gemini/Cosmo users). Speeds me up at least 10 %, not that I'm in any hurry...

-iikka
Pikku-iikka (alias Little Ike - 194 cm / 130 kg)
Planet Cosmo Communicator
Samsung Note 8, Jolla Phone (Sailfish), Nokia N9 (Meego)
Raspberry Pi 4B / RetroPie setup emulating Amiga.

ehem

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2020, 12:11:25 am »
Well for others whom are urgently waiting, mine showed up last Friday so contribution #56xx took this long.  A rather hefty delay due to COVID-19 there.  Events like this do happen in life.    

tigas

• View Profile
Re: The unofficial official my cosmo has arrived thread
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2020, 11:21:39 am »
It seems some bespoke keyboard units are really arriving. I almost can't believe I've received my PT-pt layout #35xx and it's in front of me!
--- Got my Cosmo!; previous PDAs: Psion S3a, Ericsson MC216 (Psion 5mx with Symbian 1.0); didn't get my hands on a Nokia N950 but used the N9 equivalent for years