Author Topic: Poor battery life  (Read 24636 times)

steeph

• View Profile
    • http://
Poor battery life
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2020, 12:00:00 pm »
So, I did another reset and was now offered CoDi V1.1.1.13 and it got flashed quickly first try. So I guess my attempts to flash CoDi haven't actually been successful before. After that I had again half a day where the battery percentage hardly dropped and the cover did not get hot. But after a while it started again. I'm about to send the device in (need to get myself another phone first). But I'm holding back a bit because I somehow feel like I'm very close to solving this. I feel like it is a software problem indeed. Especially since at least for some it seems firmware updates have solved the problem. Maybe I'll try rooting it first.

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2020, 01:37:32 pm »
It feels like a firmware problem to me, too.  I'm expecting it to be fixed in a future release, and, of the bugs the software has, I hope it's the one with the highest priority.

It feels as if something is spinning, waiting for data that isn't going to come, because the other end thinks it's done.  I base this only on the observation that when it gets hot, opening and closing the thing (which obviously triggers some comms between the CoDi and the main device) can fix the problem.  And it usually starts again when something has triggered something which causes something to display on the CoDi.

Might be totally wrong, of course.  Without the source it's impossible to say.

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2020, 02:03:41 pm »
Quote from: steeph
Quote from: mithrandir
Have you tried to disable NFC?
@see: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=36003
Thanks for the hint! I haven't seen this post. In my battery usage recordings from ADB android.hardware.nfc@1.1-service always stayed way below 1s of CPU time. But I've disabled NFC and will see if it helps.

ON NFC
---
I hadn't seen that post either.

I think it's worth noting that I keep NFC on all the time and I have not noticed a battery problem yet.  (took my Cosmo off charger this morning 7h ago, battery now at 78%)

THE SOMETHING
---
There is the odd time where *something* in my phone causes the CPU to run at full berries and battery drains at 20%/hr instead of 4%/hr.  GSam attributes this to "phone services" but I'm sure it is something else that is obscured, perhaps by continually calling for a function that "phone services" provides.

Whatever *something* is that does this, it stops as soon as I open the phone and log in with fingerprint ID.  However, if I don't notice it the *something* will continue to drive the CPU at full berries.  Longest I've seen is probably 1hr.  

I have GSam set to alert me when the temp goes above 36 degrees, which is how I usually discover this problem is in the midst of occurring.

wapsi

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2020, 04:26:24 am »
Quote from: PNuT
They are not deep sleeping.....

Equally there is some odd behaviour with regard to the charging circuit as sometimes the better battery app is showing the device plugged in when it isn't!

I think you're correct. I've been using BetterBatteryStats or GSam and they both report the device never goes to sleep (not even into "light sleep" seen in GSam). My Gemini PDA goes in sleep mode OK. I've struggled with this kind of issue before, with other Android phones years ago but I can't remember how did I manage to find the root cause / application which prevents the device going to sleep. I can see from BetterBatteryStats (Kernel Wakelocks) that PowerManagerService.WakeLocks is 100% but don't know how to proceed from there, need to investigate this more deeply.

Maybe this is intentional behaviour? If PlanetCom's Android is configured to be awake all the time because of otherwise CoDi doesn't work? But if I disable the CoDi the device is still awake all the time... Anyway, if his intentionally configured feature or not this is so wrong. My experience is that if Android does not sleep at all it will use all the power from the battery like in 1/5th of the time vs. if the sleeping is working correctly.  
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:34:36 am by wapsi »

steeph

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2020, 07:29:31 am »
Go figure...
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

PNuT

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2020, 12:50:52 pm »
Quote from: wapsi
They are not deep sleeping.....

Equally there is some odd behaviour with regard to the charging circuit as sometimes the better battery app is showing the device plugged in when it isn't!

I think you're correct. I've been using BetterBatteryStats or GSam and they both report the device never goes to sleep (not even into "light sleep" seen in GSam). My Gemini PDA goes in sleep mode OK. I've struggled with this kind of issue before, with other Android phones years ago but I can't remember how did I manage to find the root cause / application which prevents the device going to sleep. I can see from BetterBatteryStats (Kernel Wakelocks) that PowerManagerService.WakeLocks is 100% but don't know how to proceed from there, need to investigate this more deeply.

Maybe this is intentional behaviour? If PlanetCom's Android is configured to be awake all the time because of otherwise CoDi doesn't work? But if I disable the CoDi the device is still awake all the time... Anyway, if his intentionally configured feature or not this is so wrong. My experience is that if Android does not sleep at all it will use all the power from the battery like in 1/5th of the time vs. if the sleeping is working correctly.  

PowerManagerService wakelocks is the over arching description afaik and I seemed to hit a brick wall with finding what is causing the issue!

My device had a hot moment the other day and it appeared to be due to poor signal on sim 2 which reminded me of a couple of devices my wife has had that when they have been in her locker at work they get really warm and drain like crazy and we assume it is because it has no signal....

I had a look at the time spent in different cpu states the other day & it looked like it was running at the lowest frequency most of the time!

wapsi

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2020, 12:33:27 pm »
PowerManagerService wakelocks is the over arching description afaik and I seemed to hit a brick wall with finding what is causing the issue!

My device had a hot moment the other day and it appeared to be due to poor signal on sim 2 which reminded me of a couple of devices my wife has had that when they have been in her locker at work they get really warm and drain like crazy and we assume it is because it has no signal....

I had a look at the time spent in different cpu states the other day & it looked like it was running at the lowest frequency most of the time!

I executed "dumpsys power" via adb and there is this PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK present always and it's blocking the device going to completely in sleep mode (CPU freq 0 etc.):

Wake Locks: size=1
  PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK              'AmoledisonThread' (uid=1000 pid=1131)

I pretty certain it's related to communication with the CoDi. And according this web page: https://developer.android.com/reference/and...os/PowerManager PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK blocks the Android going fully in suspend / "real" deep sleep mode. According BetterBatteryStats the CPU is on all the time and most of the time it's at its lowest CPU freq (when the device is not used).

I really hope this is a bug and not a feature. It's too bad if Cosmo is designed in such a way that it's not able to sleep correctly.  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 12:41:15 pm by wapsi »

TomJ

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2020, 06:18:53 am »
Incidentally, how does one get the battery usage graph?  It doesn't appear for me in the battery settings aas it has in previous Android devices I've used.

Noppe

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2020, 07:36:55 am »
Quote from: TomJ
Incidentally, how does one get the battery usage graph?  It doesn't appear for me in the battery settings aas it has in previous Android devices I've used.

When you are in battery settings, hit the three dots menu in the upper right, and then "Battery usage".

TomJ

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2020, 07:53:39 am »
Quote from: Noppe
Quote from: TomJ

When you are in battery settings, hit the three dots menu in the upper right, and then "Battery usage".

Ah, thanks.

TheLonelyRunner

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2020, 09:14:36 am »
Quote from: mitchelln
Unfortunately the right USB port doesn't seem to charge for me.

Same for me, I have only used the left USB port for charging. the device does not seem to accept charge on the right side using USB from my computer or the charging brick. First full charge my cosmo got fairly warm during the charging process. Since then i have not noticed any elevated temperature during charging.

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2020, 09:20:16 am »
When I first got my Cosmo, the right port wouldn't charge it.  Since upgrading both the Android and CoDi firmware, it now does.

steeph

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2020, 11:18:18 am »
I too thought only the left port works for charging because it takes about 4 seconds after plugging in until the icon changes and it becomes visible that it's charging.

steeph

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2020, 11:37:05 am »
Quote from: steeph
Go figure...
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
After testing different SD cards for a while I can confirm that it was just a bad SD card that caused the heat and battery issue for me. I don't know why the Cosmo doesn't like that particular card. It's working and I had no issues with it in the Gemini. It's also not the card itself that's getting hot and it's not doing it for a while after the first boot after a reset.

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
Poor battery life
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2020, 11:40:21 am »
I removed mine, and it seem to have had some impact, but not a lot.

I'm more worried about the seemingly endless chatting requests for DNS entries for Google's ad and analytics servers, both of which I have blocked at the DNS level via a VPN and Pi-hole.  I'm getting worrying entries every minute or so, which can't be doing the battery any good whatsoever.