Author Topic: Time Format in Agenda  (Read 2177 times)

James Shields

• View Profile
Time Format in Agenda
« on: December 10, 2019, 04:36:11 am »
Hope fully this is an easy fix, and I've just missed a setting.

I have my time format on the Cosmo set to 24 hour, and in Agenda it displays correctly in lists of appointments. However in the create/edit entry dialog, it is insisting on using 12 hour dates. To make matters worse, the AM/PM selector appears to be a screen only control, and doesn't seem to accept keyboard input (at least the obvious option of pressing "A" or "P" to select it doesn't work for me.

Hopefully there's a way of setting it to 24 hour date entry. Forcing everyone to use 12 hour dates would seem a major omission, especially since I believe 12 hour dates are fairly alien to one of PC's major markers, Japan.

gymbo

• View Profile
Time Format in Agenda
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 06:15:13 pm »
Quote from: James Shields
Hope fully this is an easy fix, and I've just missed a setting.

I have my time format on the Cosmo set to 24 hour, and in Agenda it displays correctly in lists of appointments. However in the create/edit entry dialog, it is insisting on using 12 hour dates. To make matters worse, the AM/PM selector appears to be a screen only control, and doesn't seem to accept keyboard input (at least the obvious option of pressing "A" or "P" to select it doesn't work for me.

Hopefully there's a way of setting it to 24 hour date entry. Forcing everyone to use 12 hour dates would seem a major omission, especially since I believe 12 hour dates are fairly alien to one of PC's major markers, Japan.
I'm sorry to say it's the "norm" for Agenda, and it doesn't have a "view" with end-times as well (it might be on day-view, but I would like to have it on the week-view). If you use the arrow keys, and go beyond 12.00 am (or below 01.00 pm) it will change. But I definitely agree, it should be possible to just type the time in 24.00-format. That is my second biggest issue with Agenda, the biggest one is alarms on events: You can't be really sure the alarm will go off, and on android 8 (I've got the Gemini) you also get "random" alarms throughout the day, which are more ore less impossible to shut down (and when it comes with a notification it might indicate that it is for an alarm several days ago, and not the most recent one...

(There are other issues as well: It displays wrong "holidays" on the panel not showing a day in the week-view, it doesn't "scale" correctly if you adjust the dpi-setting, it's impossible to delete just one occurrence of a repeating event, and it is slooooow, at least on andriod 8 for me. And there might be other issues as well, that I don't remember right now... I keep the data just on the Gemini, and don't sync it anywhere...)

Steve Goodey

• View Profile
Time Format in Agenda
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 01:11:47 pm »
(I've got the Gemini) you also get "random" alarms throughout the day, which are more ore less impossible to shut down

I found that rebooting the Gemini after the first random alarm stopped these. YMMV  

gymbo

• View Profile
Time Format in Agenda
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 07:45:54 pm »
Quote from: Steve Goodey
(I've got the Gemini) you also get "random" alarms throughout the day, which are more ore less impossible to shut down

I found that rebooting the Gemini after the first random alarm stopped these. YMMV  
Yeah, I suppose I could do that, but then I would have to reboot each time I use a calendar alarm... (I occasionally reboot it, either because it runs out of power, or for som other "bug", and it comes back again when a new alarm is triggered...)

If it's not fixed in the Cosmo/Android 9 (I'm one of those "lucky" persons from the northern part of Europe that won't get mine until they actually get the keys produced...) I will have to look into other means of getting alarms on my calendar entries...

James Shields

• View Profile
Time Format in Agenda
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 06:28:17 am »
Thanks for the information. I hope the Adenda app gets continued development, as it has the potential to be a unique selling point for Planet.

I figured out the up/down arrows can select AM/PM, but it should still have the option of 24 hour input. I haven't encountered the random alarms - that one could be annoying!

I still think they have the core of a great app with Agenda.

gymbo

• View Profile
Time Format in Agenda
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 03:03:06 pm »
Thanks for the information. I hope the Adenda app gets continued development, as it has the potential to be a unique selling point for Planet.

I figured out the up/down arrows can select AM/PM, but it should still have the option of 24 hour input. I haven't encountered the random alarms - that one could be annoying!

I still think they have the core of a great app with Agenda.
Couldn't agree more re the 24 hour input; I'm used to 24 hour format for MANY years, and sometimes need to think at least twice to be sure I get the right time when using pm-time.

Good news regarding the alarms; it is probably/hopefully implemented differently in Android 9, and is no longer a problem..?

Agenda looks like it could be good, but at the moment I also have these "problems" with it:
  • It doesn't "respect" higher dpi-settings (I've got it set at 550 dpi, with the result that when I have filled the rows/entries for "standard" dpi-setting I still need to scroll on that they, in week-view, although there is more space in the field for that day...)
  • It is not possible to select and maneuver some parts of the app and inputs without using the touchscreen...
  • It is not possible to set a location without using Google maps (which is really annoying!!!). Why can't I just set a location as "Home" or "Job" or whatever else I want to call it, as long as I know where it is???
Do believe I have some other issues with it as well, but that is what comes to mind just now.

James Shields

• View Profile
Time Format in Agenda
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 05:28:18 pm »
Oh yes, I noticed that about setting locations. I was wondering if there was a keyboard shortcut I was missing.

I agree it needs better keyboard navigation. It would be great if you could do everything (or almost everything) from the keyboard.

I also think the year planner view could be more useful. It blocks out the whole day if there's anything in the calendar. I have reminders like "put the bins out" that don't need a full day block. I'd like only full day events to block out the day, with timed events shown as a coloured dot. Also I have multiple calendars linked, so it would be great if colour was used to indicate which calendar events were in.

Is there a way of feeding suggestions back to Planet?

gymbo

• View Profile
Time Format in Agenda
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 08:09:54 pm »
Oh yes, I noticed that about setting locations. I was wondering if there was a keyboard shortcut I was missing.

I agree it needs better keyboard navigation. It would be great if you could do everything (or almost everything) from the keyboard.

I also think the year planner view could be more useful. It blocks out the whole day if there's anything in the calendar. I have reminders like "put the bins out" that don't need a full day block. I'd like only full day events to block out the day, with timed events shown as a coloured dot. Also I have multiple calendars linked, so it would be great if colour was used to indicate which calendar events were in.

Is there a way of feeding suggestions back to Planet?
They have at least one employee registered as a user here, but don't think that would be considered as a reliable way to suggest improvements... A mail is probably most efficient, but don't know how "reliable" that will be either until they have shipped out all the Cosmos...