Author Topic: US Cosmo & AT&T - Anyone Tried It?  (Read 11988 times)

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
    • http://
US Cosmo & AT&T - Anyone Tried It?
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2020, 04:15:42 pm »
I'll add mobile networks to banking on the list of things the US is way, way behind the rest of the world on, then...

That's just perverse.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2020, 09:42:21 pm »
Quote from: VAMM
Quote from: ArchiMark
Hi VAMM,

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I not gotten booted off...

My AT&T guy, entered info as if it's an iPhone....don't know if that would make a difference.

My guy said if I did get booted off, to come back to store and he'd re-do it...he thought that would take care of it.

So, have store try it again and see what happens....

Good luck,

Mark

So, I came home from work and confirmed that I've been de-provisioned down to no data and 3G cellular which at my home means almost no signal. What a PITA.

Sorry to hear.....

Think it would be worth having AT&T change it to be like one of the new iPhones.

Have had no problems with Cosmo for over two months this way.

So, definitely worth a try.
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

VAMM

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2020, 09:55:13 pm »
Hi VAMM,

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I not gotten booted off...

My AT&T guy, entered info as if it's an iPhone....don't know if that would make a difference.

My guy said if I did get booted off, to come back to store and he'd re-do it...he thought that would take care of it.

So, have store try it again and see what happens....

Good luck,

Mark

So, I came home from work and confirmed that I've been de-provisioned down to no data and 3G cellular which at my home means almost no signal. What a PITA.

Sorry to hear.....

Think it would be worth having AT&T change it to be like one of the new iPhones.

Have had no problems with Cosmo for over two months this way.

So, definitely worth a try.

I'll have to give it a try I guess but I just know it's going to be an ordeal.

UPDATE: It appears that T-Mobile at least recognizes the Cosmo's IMEI:

Good news!

You should have a great experience using your own phone with T-Mobile—it has features that typically perform well on our network.
Cosmo Communicator
IMEI: ################

It's well equipped to take advantage of our network technology, like Extended Range LTE and VoLTE. Tell Me More

The only bad thing for my situation is that a few years back T-Mobile had terrible signal strength around my house. I might try buying a pre-paid SIM from them and seeing if things have improved.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:46:46 am by VAMM »

PJS

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2020, 03:39:28 pm »
The only bad thing for my situation is that a few years back T-Mobile had terrible signal strength around my house. I might try buying a pre-paid SIM from them and seeing if things have improved.

TMo has definately had a rocky history with signal strength, at least compared to
verizon in most places...    But it seems like they keep adding new signal and
new "low frequency" support that's supposed to help things...

https://www.tmonews.com/tag/low-band-lte/

So far, things have been going better with my Cosmo then reception was with
my Gem.

Good luck,

PJS

VAMM

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2020, 04:50:42 pm »
Quote from: PJS

TMo has definately had a rocky history with signal strength, at least compared to
verizon in most places...    But it seems like they keep adding new signal and
new "low frequency" support that's supposed to help things...

https://www.tmonews.com/tag/low-band-lte/

So far, things have been going better with my Cosmo then reception was with
my Gem.

Good luck,

PJS
Spent a couple hours wasting time with AT&T support on Friday. Got the "we'll call you back" (which they didn't) brush off so I went to the AT&T store for help. The guys there were sympathetic and did what they could but they had no luck restoring my service even after telling their system the Cosmo was a Samsung Note 10.

So, on Saturday I went to T-Mobile and got a prepaid plan just to test out the signal strength around my house which, the last time I tested it a few years ago was near zero. The guy at the store put in a SIM and their system recognized my phone with no problems. He mentioned that if signal was still an issue around my property that they would provide a free signal booster. I took the phone home to test the signal and fortuitously, signal strength in my house was quite good (actually about one bar better than AT&T). I went back to the T-Mobile store today and ported over my number. I don't think I was there for more than five minutes. In all, probably not more than twenty minutes with both visits combined. They couldn't have made it easier.

I never had trouble with AT&T's service until this phone issue. It's too bad they weren't really interested in or able to connect me to the people in the company that could provide a resolution.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 04:59:19 pm by VAMM »

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2020, 05:26:28 pm »
Spent a couple hours wasting time with AT&T support on Friday. Got the "we'll call you back" (which they didn't) brush off so I went to the AT&T store for help. The guys there were sympathetic and did what they could but they had no luck restoring my service even after telling their system the Cosmo was a Samsung Note 10.

So, on Saturday I went to T-Mobile and got a prepaid plan just to test out the signal strength around my house which, the last time I tested it a few years ago was near zero. The guy at the store put in a SIM and their system recognized my phone with no problems. He mentioned that if signal was still an issue around my property that they would provide a free signal booster. I took the phone home to test the signal and fortuitously, signal strength in my house was quite good (actually about one bar better than AT&T). I went back to the T-Mobile store today and ported over my number. I don't think I was there for more than five minutes. In all, probably not more than twenty minutes with both visits combined. They couldn't have made it easier.

I never had trouble with AT&T's service until this phone issue. It's too bad they weren't really interested in or able to connect me to the people in the company that could provide a resolution.

That's too bad.....but glad you have service now.

All the AT&T guys needed to do was change setting to be same as iPhone. Don't know why they couldn't do that for you, it was easy for AT&T guy at my store.....Oh well.

Again, glad you have service now.
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

VAMM

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2020, 01:37:00 pm »

That's too bad.....but glad you have service now.

All the AT&T guys needed to do was change setting to be same as iPhone. Don't know why they couldn't do that for you, it was easy for AT&T guy at my store.....Oh well.

Again, glad you have service now.

I told told him about the iPhone trick. He was walking from phone to phone on the display models to find an IMEI to use (I guess) and for whatever reason, landed on a Note 10. He did go through the iPhones but I think he figured he'd have better luck with another Android phone. I didn't want to press him on it because he was nice enough not to just brush me off. At that point I was already committed in my mind to trying T-Mobile.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:37:27 pm by VAMM »