Author Topic: Linux community?  (Read 4285 times)

irukandji

• View Profile
Linux community?
« on: January 21, 2020, 04:23:36 am »
PC is constantly referring to some "Linux community". Does anyone know what community this is? (url? git? irc?)

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Linux community?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 10:21:19 am »
Quote from: irukandji
PC is constantly referring to some "Linux community". Does anyone know what community this is? (url? git? irc?)

Ummm.....it's you actually........

and me and everyone else out there that would like linux on their Planet devices...

For the Gemini, it was mainly Adam Boardman, who posts over in the Gemini forum section, who developed the 'Gemian' release.

Don't know if he is working on the Cosmo version or if someone else volunteered....

https://github.com/gemian/gemini-keyboard-a.../wiki/DebianTP2

Plus he released some other apps...see links on page link above....

Hope this helps.

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
Linux community?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 05:31:05 pm »
Quote from: ArchiMark

and me and everyone else out there that would like linux on their Planet devices...

Might do some kernel work, but I am quite busy atm with paid project work... So I most likely I won't be able to engage fast...
The major problem for Linux on the Cosmo is to have some usable (like usable as a phone) integrated user interface, like we had with Maemo on the Nokia N900. Debian on the Gemini is nice, but it is more like a micro laptop, not really usable for the phone use case.

Maybe it is better to see the current Debian (well, current for the Gemini) as a board support package and concentrate on Maemo Leste ( https://maemo-leste.github.io/ ). This would give us a full GNU/Linux experience with phone usability.

Opinions?

Mith

Jujuyeh

• View Profile
Linux community?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 05:54:26 pm »
What about Plasma Mobile? I think that could work on top of Debian, and it would bring a phone UI.

https://www.plasma-mobile.org/get/

Also, I'd like to point out that there's some work going on with Halium support for the Cosmo (https://github.com/gemian?tab=repositories). This makes sense when you want to port GNU/Linux to an Android device with closed source drivers... It would be easier for PC to get Linux support if they got to free the drivers. Maybe they want to free such drivers but they have some sort of enclosure with the manufacturer, and this issue doesn't depend on PC.

irukandji

• View Profile
Linux community?
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 06:35:47 am »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Quote from: irukandji

Well why I am asking is, that I would love to help but bootloader is not yet released and I need something to work with,. And I cant find anything...

TomJ

• View Profile
Linux community?
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 08:34:57 am »
Quote from: mithrandir
Might do some kernel work, but I am quite busy atm with paid project work... So I most likely I won't be able to engage fast...
The major problem for Linux on the Cosmo is to have some usable (like usable as a phone) integrated user interface, like we had with Maemo on the Nokia N900. Debian on the Gemini is nice, but it is more like a micro laptop, not really usable for the phone use case.

Maybe it is better to see the current Debian (well, current for the Gemini) as a board support package and concentrate on Maemo Leste ( https://maemo-leste.github.io/ ). This would give us a full GNU/Linux experience with phone usability.

Opinions?

Speaking as a former N900 user that sounds grand.  Alas, I am not competent to do any of the development, but happy to encourage those who are!

g.husson

• View Profile
Linux community?
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2020, 10:12:57 am »
Personally I don't care about a phone like UI. I bought the cosmo in order to have a laptop UI :-)
What would be great for me to work with cosmo under Debian :
- LXDE/Cinnamon or equivalent
- 4G/3G modem
- WIFI
- bluetooth
- all the other things would be here with Debian distro
- and as an exception : an app with a phone UI for calling (in order to use my fingers on the screen) and eventually using external speakers and make call fusion + call management via CODI
I am a network and system engineer. I would be happy to help :-)
PS : I was a N900 user and I loved this phone with debian chroot. But if I had to choose, I would prefer laptop UI rather than phone UI on a phone with a physical keyboard that you have to deploy anyway :-)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:15:02 am by g.husson »

Elevennails

• View Profile
Linux community?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 11:33:53 am »
Ok so found this today...  Jumping the gun a bit, but thinking about building it. I guess now we can resize and change the bootloader, all we need to do i put the an img file on an SD card and point the bootloader at it.... Has anyone else tried successfully yet?

https://github.com/gemian/cosmo-linux-kernel-4.4

Thanks

gabs5807

• View Profile
Linux community?
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2020, 12:50:17 pm »
Quote from: g.husson
Personally I don't care about a phone like UI. I bought the cosmo in order to have a laptop UI :-)
What would be great for me to work with cosmo under Debian :
- LXDE/Cinnamon or equivalent
- 4G/3G modem
- WIFI
- bluetooth
- all the other things would be here with Debian distro
- and as an exception : an app with a phone UI for calling (in order to use my fingers on the screen) and eventually using external speakers and make call fusion + call management via CODI
I am a network and system engineer. I would be happy to help :-)
PS : I was a N900 user and I loved this phone with debian chroot. But if I had to choose, I would prefer laptop UI rather than phone UI on a phone with a physical keyboard that you have to deploy anyway :-)

It should be possible to switch between the phone UI and the laptop UI with a hotkey (same as switching between ttys).
So the phone UI could be similar to e.g. Sailfish UI (using wayland) and an native X11 UI   .

Best regards
Amongst many other Computers and Phones i'm using a Gemini PDA WIFI+G4 and a Cosmo Communicator both with German keyboard, all with SailfishOS and Debian ;-)

Elevennails

• View Profile
Linux community?
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 06:45:16 pm »
Quote from: Elevennails
Ok so found this today...  Jumping the gun a bit, but thinking about building it. I guess now we can resize and change the bootloader, all we need to do i put the an img file on an SD card and point the bootloader at it.... Has anyone else tried successfully yet?

https://github.com/gemian/cosmo-linux-kernel-4.4

Thanks

OK Still trying to jump the gun  

As above I've resized the partition ready for Debian. If i copy the gemini debain_boot.img and linux.img files to the SDCard from here

http://support.planetcom.co.uk/download/Li...uxFirmware.html

Boot to recovery and select "Install custom OS on your COSMO"

a. Will the install actually find the .img files and start the install?
b. If the install starts will it trash the existing android partitions (that would be upsetting) or will it just consume the free space I've created. Or will it prompt
c. If the install completes will anything work . If i can get the basic OS to install, I could extract the debian.img and change the runlevel and reinstall just to get a prompt and start fixing stuff.

Thanks

Elevennails

g.husson

• View Profile
Linux community?
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 11:55:51 am »
Quote from: gabs5807
It should be possible to switch between the phone UI and the laptop UI with a hotkey (same as switching between ttys).
So the phone UI could be similar to e.g. Sailfish UI (using wayland) and an native X11 UI   .
This would be perfectly great :-)
With external silver key when cosmo is opened for example ?

g.husson

• View Profile
Linux community?
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2020, 12:04:28 pm »
Quote from: Elevennails
As above I've resized the partition ready for Debian. If i copy the gemini debain_boot.img and linux.img files to the SDCard from here
Boot to recovery and select "Install custom OS on your COSMO"
a. Will the install actually find the .img files and start the install?
b. If the install starts will it trash the existing android partitions (that would be upsetting) or will it just consume the free space I've created. Or will it prompt
c. If the install completes will anything work . If i can get the basic OS to install, I could extract the debian.img and change the runlevel and reinstall just to get a prompt and start fixing stuff.
Update #44 from Cosmo Communicator : "Similarly, please do not attempt to use Gemini Linux or other OS images on your Cosmo."
==> do this at your own risk :-)

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
Linux community?
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2020, 05:11:35 pm »
Quote from: g.husson
==> do this at your own risk :-)

Just don't. Gemini boot image will be unbootable on the Cosmo. The root image file will most probably be incompatible with the new install mechanism.