Author Topic: Newly installed Debian: no Bluetooth  (Read 7190 times)

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
Re: Newly installed Debian: no Bluetooth
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 01:15:07 am »
Any news on bluetooth? Thanks for any hint!

SL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 11:44:06 am »
Yeah, bluetooth is definitely missing from the current kernel. To see what is in the kernel use the following command:

Code: [Select]
sudo cat /proc/config.gz | gunzip > mykernel.confhttps://serverfault.com/questions/51032/how-do-i-check-what-kernel-options-were-compiled-without-looking-at-boot-config

I managed to compile the kernel (on device) with bluetooth enabled, haven't been able to run it yet though :(. If I make any more progress I will report back.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:27:11 pm by SL »
Nokia N900, Cosmo Communicator

SL

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 12:30:17 pm »
I have installed Debian provided by Planet Computers last night but unfortunately I can’t get the Bluetooth on to connect my mouse. Am I the only one to have this issue?
I run my mouse on the Cosmo using barrier
Code: [Select]
sudo apt install barrierand use my windows computer as the barrier server. Debian on Cosmo without the mouse is a real pita.

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36493.0
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:34:05 pm by SL »

SL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2021, 05:30:47 pm »
Ya'll need to install the latest version (v4) of cosmo linux, it has bluetooth enabled https://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Linux_for_Cosmo.

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2021, 05:57:10 pm »
Ya'll need to install the latest version (v4) of cosmo linux, it has bluetooth enabled https://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Linux_for_Cosmo.

Thank you.
According to  PC bluetooth has problems :

Gemian v4 Notes
---------------

This Gemian release expects the latest android version to be installed (2021-03-02 - v25).

This release is mostly about moving from the droid-hal-cosmopda-bin to the lxc-android packages.

The main reason for this is to be able to support the same amount of hardware as UBPorts, and reduce the amount of code on the device that is not publicly reviewable, for more details see: https://github.com/gemian/gemian/wiki/UpdateAndroidSystemLXCImage#cosmo-communicator

Gemian usually supports the usual Debian apt update/upgrade path, but in this case we strongly recomend a fresh install as the removal of droid-hal-cosmopda-bin will also freeze your X11 session, disable WiFi and probably leave you in a right pickle. Further details: https://github.com/gemian/gemian/wiki/UpdateAndroidSystemLXCImage#updates

As we are suggesting a re-install we've also taken the opportunity to improve the user experience. During installation a menu gives you the option to select the HW Keyboard inside your device and your local time zone. On first boot these will configure your Gemian installation, and be remembered for future installations. The same process that set the keyboard and timezone also re-randomises your machine ID and ssh host info to avoid all Cosmo's with the same install version appearing as the same device. If you have a dual language keyboard the default will probably be your native language rather than the latin/english required for the default login password so you will need to press both left&right shift keys to swap before being able to login.

The camera-app as used on the Gemini is now also working on the Cosmo. Though if you still have the old /vendor partition due to not having updated to the latest Android release it will not work.

We've moved from the gemian-lock to kscreenlocker to give a more Plasma like experience and added the quick shortcuts familiar to Gemini users (where they controled connman) to now work with Network Manager as on the Cosmo, you can now turn on/off some features more easily from the lock screen, Ctrl-W (WiFi), Ctrl-B (BT), Ctrl-C (Cellular).

Bluetooth is known to be problematic, scan+pair+trust work but connections almost always fail.

Previously we had both repowerd and powerdevil trying to control sleep timing causing the screen to flick off/on and then a bit later off, we've encouraged them to play more nicely together. Though overall powermanagement is still a work in progress, currently Cosmo battery drain is ten times worse compared to Gemini.

This release also includes Android side Kernel fixes to 2021-02-06 (v25).

dnapla

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2021, 08:39:33 am »
Starting debugging the bluetooth - the following appears to help for me :- (all V4 install)

• Edit /usr/bin/droid/bluebinder_post.sh -
        Change 644 to 755 - as its a directory I think we need to access files within...
  • Add in to /etc/pulse/default.pa.gemian 
        load-module module-bluetooth-discover
        load-module module-bluetooth-policy
  • Add in to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/ofono.conf
       <policy user="pulse">
        <allow send_destination="org.ofono"/>
      </policy>

Managed to get consistent connections with a Pixel4 and a BT Headset (not saying they operate right - just that connections persist ok on reboots etc)

If this works for you - please post here.... also if you find any additonal items that help fix further.   

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2021, 12:07:46 pm »
Starting debugging the bluetooth - the following appears to help for me :- (all V4 install)

• Edit /usr/bin/droid/bluebinder_post.sh -
        Change 644 to 755 - as its a directory I think we need to access files within...
  • Add in to /etc/pulse/default.pa.gemian 
        load-module module-bluetooth-discover
        load-module module-bluetooth-policy
  • Add in to /etc/dbus-1/system.d/ofono.conf
       <policy user="pulse">
        <allow send_destination="org.ofono"/>
      </policy>

Managed to get consistent connections with a Pixel4 and a BT Headset (not saying they operate right - just that connections persist ok on reboots etc)

If this works for you - please post here.... also if you find any additonal items that help fix further.   

Hi.
Thank you again.
I did the test following your instructions and the behaviour is the same as yours. Consistent connections in my old macbook air with dual boot  ( Mac and Linux Debian 10 ). In debian 10 in my macbook same behaviour.

I can send files from cosmo to my Debian 10 ( in my macbook air ). Only sending. When I try to send a file from Macbook ( Debian ) to cosmo I receive an error message : Unable to find a service record .

Running Mac os big sur, nothing works. No consistent connections. I can,t  send and receive files also. Sometimes after reboots on both macbook and cosmo, I get some connections. When setiing up the bluetooh first in Macbook I  can set the audio output  to the cosmo, so the audio from macbook is playing in cosmo.

The same behaviour above occurs when I plug a dongle bluetooth usb to cosmo ( I compiled a new kernel to enable this ).
It works only for sending files ( Macbook running debian ).

I also did a test connecting a bluetooth sound box and it works. I did a test using VLC and adjusting the audio (inside from VLC) to my GGMM_E5 audio box. Also works with firefox . I adjust the default audio to  GGMM E5 (  in volume control ).

I did a test with mac os big sur and cosmo running android and everything works ( sending and receiving files ).

So. That is it.

I think the problem may be a configuration since the bluetooth works on android and with a dongle usb bluetooth the behaviour is the same as the internal bluetooth adapter.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 08:14:57 pm by cam1965 »

SL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2021, 12:07:44 pm »
Your fixes make bluetooth more stable; I am able to connect to my windoze PC (on the PC it shows up as audio device) and my MX Keys keyboard (3 separate connection devices selectable). It recognizes the keyboard whenever I switch the keyboard device selector set for the cosmo. Good job :).

Edit: Also got my MX Master 3 mouse working on it (fyi of harware that seems to work).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 04:44:10 pm by SL »