Author Topic: v22 is coming this week  (Read 13912 times)

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2020, 07:35:10 pm »
Quote from: Vistaus
Still no update as of yet

@Planet  Computers : Quo usque tandem abutere patientia nostra ?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 07:36:43 pm by cam1965 »

cam1965

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2020, 09:17:37 am »
Quote from: cam1965

Another week .... another month ... maybe another year ....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:05:29 pm by cam1965 »

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2020, 01:33:07 pm »

Another week .... another month ... maybe another year ....

There's still one more day in this week.....

You never know....

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Zarhan

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2020, 01:40:10 pm »
Even if the new FW would be coming today, I wouldn't dare to install it for another week. I'll wait for others to beta test it first.

The brown paperbag release that was V20 had the problems become apparent on forums & elsewhere only after more than 5 days or so. I waited 3 days before installing that upgrade, but that was clearly too short of a wait.

PNuT

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2020, 02:00:35 pm »
I would install it straight away, it seems less and less stable every day anyway so I don't see I have anything to lose!

The bit it seems to struggle with most is phone calls and I guess the problem for me is it is a phone!!

Vistaus

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2020, 03:44:44 pm »
Quote from: PNuT
I would install it straight away, it seems less and less stable every day anyway so I don't see I have anything to lose!

Same here: V20 is getting less and less stable, so I don't mind installing V22 straight away. They tested it for a while now, so I'm confident that even in a worst scenario, it's not any worse than V20.

jakfish

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2020, 03:47:00 pm »
I concur--other than the phone exploding against my face, V22 can't make it worse.

Jake

cam1965

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2020, 07:29:29 am »
Quote from: jakfish
I concur--other than the phone exploding against my face, V22 can't make it worse.

Jake

Just received an email  from indiegogo , but no reference to firmware update . So another week ....

Cosmo Communicator Campaign - Week 81

Dear Cosmo backers!

Cosmo 2nd Production and Shipping

This is a short update to say that the second batch of Cosmo Communicators from the 2nd production run has reached our Hong Kong warehouse this morning.

We will start shipping the remaining Cosmo perks to non-European destinations directly from Hong Kong on Monday and we will also be sending and importing the European consignment to our UK warehouse.

More from us next week...

Best regards,

Team Cosmo

cam1965

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2020, 07:44:35 am »
Quote from: jakfish

Jake

Just received an email  from indiegogo , but no reference to firmware update . So another week ....

Cosmo Communicator Campaign - Week 81

Dear Cosmo backers!

Cosmo 2nd Production and Shipping

This is a short update to say that the second batch of Cosmo Communicators from the 2nd production run has reached our Hong Kong warehouse this morning.

We will start shipping the remaining Cosmo perks to non-European destinations directly from Hong Kong on Monday and we will also be sending and importing the European consignment to our UK warehouse.

More from us next week...

Best regards,

Team Cosmo

Good News : I think next week the v22 will be available.

From comments on Indiegogo :

Evandro Cordeiro asked :
Update #61 No v22 firmware update?

Answer from PC

Planet Computers 5 minutes ago
PROJECT OWNER
@Evandro We are still checking one issue. More on V22 next week, hopefully release next week.

Zarhan

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2020, 08:25:06 am »
I again posted my request for more info on whether they have actually managed to get their act together on the release process. Taking time on V22 is one thing, but I'd really hope that they will start building images with upstream security patches included whenever Google does it.

Probably not going to get a response.

cam1965

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2020, 05:27:59 pm »
Quote from: Zarhan
Even if the new FW would be coming today, I wouldn't dare to install it for another week. I'll wait for others to beta test it first.

The brown paperbag release that was V20 had the problems become apparent on forums & elsewhere only after more than 5 days or so. I waited 3 days before installing that upgrade, but that was clearly too short of a wait.

I think I will install it only because I want  linux to recognize the sim card .

vldmr

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2020, 09:08:25 am »
Well, this thread was started more than month ago, as well as initial announcement by the company that prompted it.

This is really embarrassing for the company, and probably indicative of some serious internal problems: no sane company would knowingly risk getting into such an embarrassing situation by making announcement they could not fulfill for more than a month.  

I bet they are really deprived of software development resources. If such problem just developed during this period (maybe, key personnel left - either for good, or internally to another project), then I would be very skeptical and cautious with respect to the quality of this release, whenever it will finally materialize
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 09:25:41 am by vldmr »

Vistaus

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2020, 01:18:21 pm »
Quote from: vldmr
I bet they are really deprived of software development resources. If such problem just developed during this period (maybe, key personnel left - either for good, or internally to another project), then I would be very skeptical and cautious with respect to the quality of this release, whenever it will finally materialize

Eh, AFAIK, they only had a few people working on the software to begin with. So that team was never big.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2020, 01:30:57 pm »
I'd be very surprised if it's more than 2, maybe 3 people on software....

And from what I can tell, I think the whole company is probably less than 10 people....

Think Planet is literally 'operating on a shoestring' (ie, under-capitalized...) and trying to 'bootstrap' themselves into a larger company.

Having run my own business in the past, this a very difficult road to take, if you want to be able to scale up to have more production and sales volume and efficiencies therein, and be able to afford adequate support resources, etc. Think Planet is in a very difficult position and unless they have a 'big hit' in the marketplace, they will find themselves unable to get out of this position, unless a bigger company buys them out.

Wish Planet all the best though....

Meanwhile, let's hope we see a good v22 released soon!

Just my 2 cents....

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Zarhan

• View Profile
v22 is coming this week
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2020, 01:39:13 pm »
The problem I mostly have with them is the complete lack of transparency.

I shouldn't have to go through sites like this https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10468629 to get info on their operations and size.

I wouldn't mind if they would *tell* us, even with something short. Just a post from one of the devs on twitter (or forum here) would be nice. "Worked on kernel bug, crashes when sending SMS and using O2 network" or something similar at the end of the day would at least give the impression that they are doing something.

As such, I'm actually not *that* worried about Astroslide, because it has no CoDi and that many "special" bits - it should be much more feasible to run something like Replicant on it if Planet's own software fails to work properly.