Author Topic: Teardown guide for battery and CoDi replacement.  (Read 10046 times)

sup

• View Profile
Teardown guide for battery and CoDi replacement.
« on: November 14, 2020, 03:54:37 pm »
UPDATE: I went ahead and created a sort of teardown guide in the second post and edited the title of this post accordingly. Original post starts below:

My CoDi failed (the internal crack that many people suffered). Unfortunately, I then managed to crack the glass display. Even though I notified Planet Computers about the CoDi failure about two months before I managed to crack it physically and they initially promised to replace it free of charge, now they want 135 pounds for it - way more than it is worth to me. So I was thinking about removing it altogether, because even cracked, it can still suck quite a lot of power when I forget to turn it off in settings.

Has anyone tried to dismantle the part of Cosmo with CoDi? I found a FCC document covering internals of the Cosmo in this thread: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36134.0 but it is not that informative regarding a procedure to open the device up. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 11:36:40 am by sup »

sup

• View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried removing CoDi? Is there a teardown guide?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 11:29:46 am »
So I tried it and here is a tear-down guide, sort of. Sorry for bad quality of the cameras - not sure how to make pretty pictures with a webcamera, Cosmo is my only other camera and I could not use that for understandable reasons.

There are two things I wanted to accomplish:
1) Check the battery code in order to possibly order a replacement for my weird problem of it showing -1% charge: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36419.0
(byt the way, the code is SXX600, it seems it is possible to order it from Amazon for around 50 euros and it is common with Gemini)

2) Get to the CoDi and cut its ribbon since it was broken and just was draining battery when I forgot to turn it off. I hope this actually works, but at least the gemini stopped nagging me about updating the firewall.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:14:03 am by Varti »

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Teardown guide for battery and CoDi replacement.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 01:03:13 pm »
Wow!

Thanks for sharing the guide!

Although sorry to hear about your troubles with CoDi and Planet......

Was not aware of this potential crack issue.....hopefully, it won't happen on my Cosmo.

Best,

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 03:15:37 am »
I have edited the post so that the images are shown as thumbnails, and set the topic as sticky so that it is easier to find. Thanks for sharing this!

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 04:52:55 pm »
i have the same issue. codi lcd kaput. glass seems fine. if i evert get my hands on a replacement, this will be very handy!

sup

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 05:09:55 pm »
IF the glass is fine, it is a manufacturing mistake and Planet might replace it for you. For me, ti also failed and then I broke the glass. I still think it is a bit non-consumer friendly that they then refused to replace it even though they earlier promised they would

hyrjana

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 07:01:18 am »
My CoDi LCD broke also without any signs of damage on the glass. Planet computers would charge me 125£ + shipping to UK to replace it. If only I could get replacement part somehow, I would definitely do it myself.

sup

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 07:08:31 am »
Interesting. To me they initially promised to replace it for free.

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 12:16:00 pm »
i got the same smoke. they wanted me to send my phone back to them for the repair, rather than send me the parts to fix it myself... i cant afford to not have a phone for even a day, let alone weeks on end as it is shipped back to the UK.

shinkamui

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 01:04:54 pm »
My CoDi LCD broke also without any signs of damage on the glass. Planet computers would charge me 125£ + shipping to UK to replace it. If only I could get replacement part somehow, I would definitely do it myself.

Its happened twice to me.  First time i sent it in to planet, they charged me 150$ + I had to pay for 70$ for shipping, and they sent it back 9 months later.   The oled cracked again with teh glass intact, while it was in the box in storage.  I'm done with Planet.

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2021, 11:31:42 am »
Could somebody confirm that the Gemini and Cosmo battery are indeed the same? And could that kind soul point me to a buying link, preferably Amazon/ebay?

I can't seem to track one down for my worn-out Cosmo.

Thanks,
Jake

EDIT: https://extrabatt.com/products/cs-plx600sl

$56USD/free s/h in the US at least. Will post back if/when arrives
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:21:57 pm by jakfish »

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2021, 01:25:51 pm »
If my Cosmo replacement battery does actually make it to me, I'm remain a bit confused about the initial part of the tear-down.

How does one get access to the screws in pic #1? Does the Cosmo bottom pop off the way the Gemini's top pops off (with the Gemini tool?)?

Thanks,
Jake

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2021, 02:56:23 pm »
Yes.

The bottom of a Cosmo pops off the same way as the top (and bottom) of a Gemini. On my particular Cosmo, I don't even need any particular tool, a few fingernails does the job for me, but it should be safe to use the Gemini tool, or a corner of some old credit card (or similar) that you don't care too much about.

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2021, 03:57:22 pm »
Daniel, many thanks for the quick response.

Jake

IK6yae0s

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 04:58:06 pm »
My Codi is defekt. The glass has a fine break line so I think the display is also destroyed.
Is there a replacement part for the display only? Would be nice to hear something like a p/n.