Author Topic: Battery life for turned-off Cosmo  (Read 4106 times)

sven1999

• View Profile
Battery life for turned-off Cosmo
« on: August 14, 2021, 10:57:05 am »
Battery life for a turned-off Cosmo seems to be around 2 days. For users that use their device not as a daily driver or phone, this is really disappointing.

Has anybody reached higher values?

Is a physical kill-switch for the battery the only option to solve this? Is there a recipe for it?

Cosmo Communicator (UbuntuTouch), OnePlus 3T (UbuntuTouch OTA 18)

gabs5807

• View Profile
Re: Battery life for turned-off Cosmo
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 04:03:09 pm »
Same here, regardless which OS do the poweroff :o ...
Amongst many other Computers and Phones i'm using a Gemini PDA WIFI+G4 and a Cosmo Communicator both with German keyboard, all with SailfishOS and Debian ;-)

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 04:24:10 pm »
Have you set the cover display to off when powering down? If not, then I assume that will eat up the battery pretty quickly, even if the "phone" is turned off...

As Cosmo is my "daily driver" I have never really turned it off for any serious amount of time, but the Gemini (now not in use) seems to last at least a few months when turned off, and you SHOULD be able to get similar time for the Cosmo...

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 11:26:43 am »
This is an interesting thread. I thought my Cosmo battery was worn-out (ordered a new one but it never showed up), but I'm not getting the drain cited here.

I run Linux-only and I've disabled CODI and I get 10 days or so of down-time before the battery drains out.

Other than a disabled CODI, my internal wifi/bt doesn't work, so that may have something to do with it, too.

Jake

gabs5807

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 11:52:57 am »
@gymbo and @jakfish this is a good hint. CODI seems to be off, but may only the screen is of and the processor is running (i did not disable CODI).
There should be a process (at least on gemian) which disable CODI on power off and enable it on startup ::).
Amongst many other Computers and Phones i'm using a Gemini PDA WIFI+G4 and a Cosmo Communicator both with German keyboard, all with SailfishOS and Debian ;-)

bolderz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 03:45:28 pm »
I charged my Cosmo overnight running rooted Android to 100% and then turned it off this morning around 09:00.  I have just turned it on again at 20:30 and it still came up at 100% charged.  So it looks as though there is negligible discharge of the battery when it is turned off. As far as I know I haven't done anything special to make sure that the device is fully turned off. 

sven1999

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 04:51:42 pm »
So, the OS seems to matter a lot. My original report was for UBports.

The solution that worked for UBports on my Cosmo (I don't need Codi at all):
Code: [Select]
sudo mount -o remount,rw /
sudo mv -v /usr/share/upstart/sessions/codi.conf{,.disabled}
sudo mount -o remount,ro /
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 09:26:45 am by sven1999 »
Cosmo Communicator (UbuntuTouch), OnePlus 3T (UbuntuTouch OTA 18)

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2021, 06:41:18 am »
So, the OS seems to matter a lot. My original report was for UBports.

As a lot of things still seem to be dependent on Android, I would still  recommend going in to Android, and set the Codi to turn of when powering down: It might have an impact on Linux as well...

MonkeyControl

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2021, 04:31:55 pm »
On UT, 10hrs shows no loss of battery. 
On unrooted Android, CoDi set to Power Save ON & switch off on power down:  10hrs shows no loss of battery. 
On unrooted Android, CoDi set to Power Save OFF & NOT switch off on power down:  10hrs shows no loss of battery. 
All on clean freshly flashed installs, so if my battery gauges are to be believed, I wonder if drain is some added apps or processes not letting the CoDi processor go to sleep on power off, amongst other things. 
As a lot of things still seem to be dependent on Android, I would still  recommend going in to Android, and set the Codi to turn of when powering down: It might have an impact on Linux as well...
I think this is a good idea, CoDi has had a mind of it's own since day 1. 

I'm not using my 2 Cosmos at the moment due to mechanical damage to one and network issues to the other, but other than that they both work perfectly, so if you have any ideas that any of you can't reasonably test yourselves as daily drivers I can be the guinea pig. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 03:04:32 am by MonkeyControl »

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2021, 12:05:54 am »
This is an interesting thread. I thought my Cosmo battery was worn-out (ordered a new one but it never showed up), but I'm not getting the drain cited here.

I run Linux-only and I've disabled CODI and I get 10 days or so of down-time before the battery drains out.

Other than a disabled CODI, my internal wifi/bt doesn't work, so that may have something to do with it, too.

Jake

Have similar experience....use mixture of linux and android, CODI always off, BT off, get around 10 days....before need to charge again....

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/