Author Topic: Several issues - workaround or upgrade?  (Read 2210 times)

lnagy

• View Profile
Several issues - workaround or upgrade?
« on: October 31, 2022, 06:31:23 am »
I have several issues with the Astro Slide.
- The well known issue with the finger print sensor. After reset the fingerprints, it works for few times, then just the error "Too many attempts, fingerprint sensor deactivated"
- Camera issue. The photo quality is not bad, but very bad and very blur. I wanted to photo some pages with printed texts, the texts almost not even possible to read on the photo. I tried also OpenCamera, but I couldn't find any option to could improve it. My older Unihertz Jelly2 make much better quality photos, however by Unihertzt I didn't have too high expectations.
I guess, these are not a hardware issues, much more related to the drivers.
Do you have any tips or workarounds to these cases?
Thank you!

Zarhan

• View Profile
Re: Several issues - workaround or upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 03:10:53 am »
Hi, I spotted this link on IGG

https://www.randomksandom.com/astro/

Has workarounds for several issues including the fingerprint scanner.

I don't have my Astro yet, so don't know if any of these actually work.

Dom (shymega)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2022, 05:32:39 pm »
Could you report these issues here: https://github.com/shymega/planet-devices/issues ?

Thank you.

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2022, 01:50:42 am »
I noticed that the camera takes fairly poor photos with HDR on. If you turn it off, the photos are actually pretty good. The look quite nice on my 42 inch 4K monitor, so should be more than adequate for most uses :) The camera app is somewhat featureless, however the settings (icon in the top left) allows you to get to the real settings (settings cog icon at the bottom). You can change a few things, including resolution. The 12mp photo uses 4 pixel binning for a better shot, and the 48mp is pretty much just the sensor. I tried OpenCamera, and it has far more bells and whistles, however I thought the photos weren't as good as the stock camera app. More playing required I think.

It is much better than I was led to believe by most accounts. I've only had the astro a few days, so I still haven't finished playing with all the bits :) I really like the "open" mode - it is significantly better than the cosmo for stability. It feels like a little laptop.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2022, 04:03:24 am »
I also noticed that OpenCamera takes much better photos - but then again, it defaulted to full 48 MP. I think the basic camera app just takes 9 MP pictures by default?

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2022, 04:44:29 am »
Major problem is video. Please see:

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=36839.0

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2022, 12:35:23 am »
I also noticed that OpenCamera takes much better photos - but then again, it defaulted to full 48 MP. I think the basic camera app just takes 9 MP pictures by default?

If you go to the settings, and set 48MP in the default camera, then the photos are quite good. The other resolution I use is 12MP, which makes use of the quad bayer filter to pixel bin, and get a really nice shot. The main thing is to remove HDR as it just adds (lots of) noise and makes the photo look quite bad. In good light, the photo quality is actually quite impressive - in bad light it becomes very noisy very quickly. I use OpenCamera a lot, but in this case for some reason the photos didn't come out as well as I thought they should have. The photos might not be S22 good, but in good light they look pretty crisp on a 4K, 42 inch monitor. I couldn't find a raw mode with the default camera app, but OC could do it. Using snapseed on the raw image can make it look really good.

In my opinion though, the default camera app takes better "happy snap" photos than OC.

lnagy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 02:51:54 am »
I played around again and I tried to take a snapshot about a A5 size page with normal size text. I switched off HDR, I  tried OC and the original Camera App, I couldn't manage a snapshot, that the text was readable on the picture. Sometimes  the autofocus make a click and focusing, but the result still not good. Even I tried with the front camera the same, the results is very good and the text is readable well. I guess, there is some issue with the back camera or its sensor.