Author Topic: Deejoy-Dota  (Read 3256 times)

sobukus

• View Profile
Deejoy-Dota
« on: December 12, 2022, 07:43:00 am »
Hi,

I got a fresh Astro, came with an active installation in Chinese. I did a factory reset to ensure a clean state and, apart from feeling resistance to not using a custom rom at all again (running LineageOS on another device), I particularily wonder what the 'Deejoy-Dota' App is supposed to be. It is version 11.0.1 here, got a popup … is usually active and has the permission to be displayed over other apps. It's a kind of system app, but I never heard of it and have trouble finding any information on something of that name (and that's unrelated to DOTA multiplayer games). My OS build is Astro-11.0-Planet-05182022, and will be for some time, I guess, since updates are broken.

So, does Deejoy-Dota ring any bells? Has it a useful purpose? Does it belong onto a vanilla Android install?

TauPan

• View Profile
    • http://
Re: Deejoy-Dota
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 08:50:04 am »
I just got my Astro (german keyboard) and got exactly the same... Pre-Installed in chinese and a deejay-dota notification after I've set the language to german and rebooted.

Also done a factory reset, but after that the "Deejoy-Dota" App is still installed.

It looks like it's related to system updates, but it's annoying that the notification can't be muted or turned off.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 10:42:38 am by Varti »

TauPan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 02:57:22 am »
The permanent notification goes away after a while.

There's a deejoy-dota app accessible from settings -> about phone If you scroll down you can tap on "Deejoy-Dota" (above the build number).

Tapping on it shows "current version: Astro-11.0-Planet-05182022-V01.<20220518_0840> and you have a "test and update" button below it which does some kind of network request proabably.

Might provide screenshot if I find the time but an analysis of the network requests would be more interesting and I won't have time for that.

Lets hope the backdoor isn't as bad as the last time.  :o

(Edit: Zarhan on the chat found a japanese tweet about it: https://twitter.com/kana_fai/status/1539603725287051265 but it's only a user wondering (according to automatic translation).)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:59:31 am by TauPan »

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2022, 10:32:22 am »
I got my Astro today and checked this as first thing.

My Astro didn't have the Chinese settings preinstalled. When I powered it on for first time, it asked for my language and keyboard layout.
Also, there is no Deejoy-Dota running as a service (developer settings => running services).

Maybe you should reach out to Planet...?

wovoja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 03:32:37 pm »
My (German) Astro from August has its deejoy-dota App mostly but non consistend. I informed the Planet support on the 10. of August, but...

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2022, 04:28:09 am »
I got my Astro today and checked this as first thing.

My Astro didn't have the Chinese settings preinstalled. When I powered it on for first time, it asked for my language and keyboard layout.
Also, there is no Deejoy-Dota running as a service (developer settings => running services).

Maybe you should reach out to Planet...?

Please check this when wifi is connected.
Thank you.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 06:40:36 am »

Nope. The services running are:

- Settings
- Bluetooth
- App Bar
- Google
- Missed notifications reminder (I installed that one)
- Planet Keyboard
- Quickstep
- Android Services Library.

Nothing else.

If I disconnect/reconnect wifi "Android system updates" runs for a second or two. No deejoy-dota.

cam1965

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2022, 09:26:28 am »

Nope. The services running are:

- Settings
- Bluetooth
- App Bar
- Google
- Missed notifications reminder (I installed that one)
- Planet Keyboard
- Quickstep
- Android Services Library.

Nothing else.

If I disconnect/reconnect wifi "Android system updates" runs for a second or two. No deejoy-dota.

Thank you for the information.

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 08:17:59 pm »
Deejoy - Dota is one of the running services in my phone ... still wondering ...