Author Topic: Planet's service times  (Read 5650 times)

Zarhan

• View Profile
Planet's service times
« on: January 16, 2023, 03:26:44 am »
Hi,

now that I've gotten my Astro shakedown cruise completed, I've been thinking about installing Linux for the Cosmo. However, my Cosmo has very bad battery and I'd like to get it replaced. Apparently Planet still has a few SXX600's around. I also have a broken CoDI - maybe get that fixed as well.

Does anyone have any experiences in how long does Planet take to complete service if I ship this over to them?

The cost is probably a quite high so if it's going to be a hassle to do business I think I'll just forget about it...

Zarhan

• View Profile
Re: Planet's service times
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 12:30:43 pm »
To let others know, I contacted Planet.

1) The cost to replace a battery is 125 GBP + shipping (to both directions), and they promised service time of four days. They claim it's "forbidden" to send batteries (I'm not sure what to think of that).
2) Cost to replace CoDI is also 125 GBP, or just 95 GBP for the part
3) Time is 4 business days for battery, 3 business days for CoDI.
4) "Batteries are new and covered for a minimum of 6 Months"

I seriously have to consider whether to spend near 300 EUR to get Cosmo fixed and with a battery in better condition. I mean, I think I would enjoy it as a Linux-based micro-laptop, but the price point is just a tad too expensive, especially considering I paid about 500 EUR for the whole thing 3 years ago...

Doghouse Riley

• View Profile
Re: Planet's service times
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 06:11:11 pm »
I've read someplace (maybe on this forum) that there was a problem in the manufacture of replacement batteries.  The manufacturer of the replacement battery, Cameron Sino, has wiped the existence of the CS-PLX600SL from their website.  I am wondering if that is why Planet Computers is so strict on these batteries as the original supply they have is slowly drying up.  I have two Cosmos and one of them, the battery is "puffy" and the other's longevity is getting very short.  There are folks that want new batteries for their Geminis too.

I've seen the pin out for the connector on the battery and I'll one day find a source for the connector and rig up a different battery with that connector.  I guess I could even sacrifice the "puffy" battery and use that connector.  Yes, I may end up with a smaller storage sized battery, but at least I will have something that will work.

I have purchased many batteries for phones and tablets in the past, so their excuse of shipping them is "forbidden" is very shaky at best.  Because of this, I won't buy an Astro Slide.  Besides the great keyboard, I bought this phone because I could change the battery when necessary.  So much for that...