Author Topic: Watapon ROM  (Read 124221 times)

Chaos

• View Profile
    • http://zaurus.duelmonsters.ca
Watapon ROM
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2005, 08:26:37 pm »
Hi guys,
I have been using watapon 1.6 (with updates).  I am not really a KOPI user/fan and want to "cleanly" remove it from Watapon.  Any suggestion which files to remove. 

I have the original Sharp PIM ipk, and like to use it for it's simplicity.  Can ftp or email it to anyone needs it.

thanx a million.
Zaf
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

In simple terms... No, there's no way to remove it*. It was one of the things majorly requested back under 1.4.x/earlier... So it's in 1.6. I had to choose who to please, so I chose the one that'd please me the most.

* You'd have to dig into the read-only part of the FS to truely remove it. Just removing the icons, and deleting the symlinks for the alarm apple in /home/QtPalmtop/plugins/applets/ is the best way to remove all appearance of it...
Sorry. I just don't have the time...

Lexx

• View Profile
    • http://
Watapon ROM
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2005, 08:45:35 pm »
Hi guys,
I have been using watapon 1.6 (with updates).  I am not really a KOPI user/fan and want to "cleanly" remove it from Watapon.  Any suggestion which files to remove. 

I have the original Sharp PIM ipk, and like to use it for it's simplicity.  Can ftp or email it to anyone needs it.

thanx a million.
Zaf
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77585\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

In simple terms... No, there's no way to remove it*. It was one of the things majorly requested back under 1.4.x/earlier... So it's in 1.6. I had to choose who to please, so I chose the one that'd please me the most.

* You'd have to dig into the read-only part of the FS to truely remove it. Just removing the icons, and deleting the symlinks for the alarm apple in /home/QtPalmtop/plugins/applets/ is the best way to remove all appearance of it...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77590\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

You think maybe it would be possible remove all PIMS to an IPKG and let the user then choose which PIM they'd like? You can then use the extra room to add say.... Bluetooth.    Just my two cents. I'm back to 1.4 after failing miserably to get 1.6 to sync.
--Lexx
.::PDA I currently use::. Zaurus 5600 PXA250 running OPIE/OZ 3.5.4
.::PDA's I've owned (Grouped & in order)::. Palm Pro w/2Mb&IR upgrade, Palm III, Palm IIIxe, Handspring Visor Prism, Sony NR70V, (Sony Clie NX70V/H & Amigo PPC), (Palm Pro, Palm IIIX, Palm IIIxe), Zaurus 5600
.::Accesories::. Ambicom WL1100c, Ambicom BT2000, Kingston 256MB SD card, Sandisk 1GB SD card, AG06 Camera.
A big thank you to all developers involved in any Zaurus project.

radonsg

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #242 on: May 05, 2005, 10:43:29 am »
ppl, is there any ebook reader to recomend? Thanks.
Zaurus SL-5600 PXA250
Watapon ROM 1.6.1
128 MB TwinMos CF
512 MB Kingston SD
D-link DFC-660W

In need to change a stylus cos the default one too short for my taste

TJRCHKA

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #243 on: May 05, 2005, 01:12:01 pm »
Hey everyone, I've been thinking I love my Zaurus 5600 with the Watapon ROM (Made it more useful-thanks again Chaos for all your help [wifi problems especially] ).

Its more of a hobby tool for me, but I don't have any time for it.
I would like to unload my Zaurus 5600 with the pxa 250 processor.

[Moderated. Please, post this info in "For Sale/Wanted" forum]

TJ

Again thanks Chaos for the tech support and your hard work on the Watapon ROM.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 07:47:13 am by maslovsky »

maaltan

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #244 on: May 08, 2005, 10:44:39 pm »
I got problem using the wifi connection. Using a d-link DCF-660W with a linksys wireless router. I can't connect when I choose to off my ssid broadcast and idea why?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=48179\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Sorry if this has already been answered, but i have 3-4 pages to go and don't want to forget about it.

I found that using non letters in the ssid keeps it from connecting.  well using a ' does it.  Im guessing at other characters.  make your ssid short and simple and keep adding things to it until it stops working.

my ssid was something like "bob'splace".  When i changed it to "bobsplace" it worked great..  

again sorry if this is a dupe. I just didn't want to forget to post the info.

Also, while im at it, are you still taking requests for ipkg feeds?  If so, can you get rdesktop to work with your distro?  I think it would be very handy for general running around the building type network troubleshooting, which is what im building my zaurus to be.

-edit-

shew make that about 13 pages to go.. brain fried now.  But, I didn't see a iron clad resolution to your problem so check your ssid.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 11:09:40 pm by maaltan »

dreadlocks

• View Profile
    • http://zaurus.nayr.net
Watapon ROM
« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2005, 03:14:19 pm »
the ' is going to throw it off, any characters that are used by the shell for various reasons are going to need to need a \ infront of..

if your ssid is "bob'splace" then try entering this "bob\'splace"

if you go to console you will note if you type:
Code: [Select]
$ echo bob'spl'ace
bobsplace

it dosent echo the '

however if you type:
$ echo bob\'spl\'ace
bob'spl'ace
it does echo the '

just added a qtrdesktop repack to my feed, havent tested it out.. let me know if it needs any libraries..

-dreadlocks
RETIRED - Zaurus SL-5600 (and a dead 5000D)
Wapaton 1.6.1 - Personal Watapon Feed
SMC 2642W & Linksys WCF12, Targus Universal IR Keyboard
Sandisk 512mb SD, Lexar 64mb SD, Sharp Camera
Extreme Limit Metal & Leather Suit

maaltan

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2005, 09:19:48 pm »
the ' is going to throw it off, any characters that are used by the shell for various reasons are going to need to need a \ infront of..

Doh.  Forgot everthing goes through the shell in *nix... well i guess it does in windows also but its alot less obvious.  that will work except its not letting me type the \ in the ssid window.  Ehh no biggy.  It didn't work in the plain sharp rom either.

Thanks for the qtrdestop. Works great.  Although, I cannot tell you if it needs libraries since I have been trying to manually install some librarys to get some other progs to work (Zethereal and opie reader specifically... without success unfortunately)

opie reader will run but it has no icons or menu pics.  There is an issue with the libpng.

libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.0.9
libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.2.5
libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library
QPixmap::convertFromImage: Cannot convert a null image reader

over and over about 50 times.  I was getting a zlib error but i manually installed the libs and its not complaining anymore.

zethereal blows up good though.  the ipk and the gz files appear to be corrupt on the main site.  I cant seem to get all the libraries.

zethereal: error while loading shared libraries: libglib-1.2.so.0: cannot load shared object file: No such file or directory
On a side note.  how do you repackage ipk files?  i have just been opening them up in winrar and extracting files.

Thanks again for the rdesktop. i finally got the "Holy S***" i was digging for from the sysadmin today .

dreadlocks

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2005, 02:35:34 am »
see http://www.nayr.net/zaurus/bin/ for the scripts I use.

ya I had problems with zethereal as well, and I think chaos tried to get it working as well and had the same issue..

it is definatly on my to-do list, semester is almost over (last final on monday) then I should be able to find the time to get the following packages for watapon: zethereal, hostap, wellenreiter

you need a version of opie-reader compiled aginst libpng 1.2.5, I dont have time right now but once I get my development environment working I should be able to compile it for watapon.

-dreadlocks

stars

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2005, 03:16:13 am »
see http://www.nayr.net/zaurus/bin/ for the scripts I use.

ya I had problems with zethereal as well, and I think chaos tried to get it working as well and had the same issue..

it is definatly on my to-do list, semester is almost over (last final on monday) then I should be able to find the time to get the following packages for watapon: zethereal, hostap, wellenreiter

you need a version of opie-reader compiled aginst libpng 1.2.5, I dont have time right now but once I get my development environment working I should be able to compile it for watapon.

-dreadlocks
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I think the read permission is not set for the files in the url.

atlatl

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #249 on: May 12, 2005, 12:43:37 am »
Is anyone syncing to anything with Watapon ROM installed? Please relate your experiences, if so.

What I want to do is sync to iCal and Addressbook, mostly, bi-directionaly. With the old PIMs I could sync with Outlook, then sync my Palm with Outlook, then sync my Palm with the Mac. It was round about, but it worked great.

Now, I can't seem to find any way to sync KA/pi or KO/pi with even a Windows PC at all. I guess I'm just missing something?

Please help! Thanks!
==================

Watapon 1.6
256 MB CF | Linksys WCF12

Chaos

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2005, 12:08:15 am »
Is anyone syncing to anything with Watapon ROM installed? Please relate your experiences, if so.

What I want to do is sync to iCal and Addressbook, mostly, bi-directionaly. With the old PIMs I could sync with Outlook, then sync my Palm with Outlook, then sync my Palm with the Mac. It was round about, but it worked great.

Now, I can't seem to find any way to sync KA/pi or KO/pi with even a Windows PC at all. I guess I'm just missing something?

Please help! Thanks!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79369\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I'm working on getting a way of syncing KO/pi and KA/pi with OS X.  It might not be perfect, but it should at least provide a basic structure to syncing it all. Although it may take some time...

And 1.6.2 is taking much more time than intended...

KDEPIM/Pi keeps getting bigger and bigger...  I need to remove something from 1.6.2 to even fit Kopi/Kapi/Ompi... Might remove Zeditor to an IPK...

Or just make the PIM user-installable (Sharp or KDEPIM) and use the 3 or so freed up megs for some real useful stuff.

Chaos

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2005, 03:36:10 pm »
Next stable release may be 1.8 with the optional PIM. I'll see how large a change it is, overall.

So, start suggesting 3-4 megs worth of software to fit into where the PIM was.

Preferably stuff almost everyone uses/should use.

Addition: Apparently I have 4115104 bytes of space in the raw initrd.bin...

And the initrd's size is 18953568...

The raw (uncompressed) root is... 36802560

So there's a fair bit of space for things in there.  Maybe 6 uncompressed megs?

Current list of things being considered for inclusion in the next release (with optional PIMs):
openssh-client
nano + ncurses5
bzip2
rotation
opie-sh
brightnessapplet
qpdf2

(Oh yes, by the way dreadlocks, the jeode in your feed - is it a newer version or something? Because if it is, that'll replace the older one.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 05:14:46 pm by Chaos »

Lexx

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2005, 08:54:39 pm »
My humble opinion,

- nano + ncurses5 - Should make a nice suppliment to VI. Might VI be replaced with VIM?
- bzip2 - I'm for this either included or as an IPKG. I always install it, but that's just me.
- rotation - Very much for this. Will all the needed fonts be installed as well?
- opie-sh - No coments, used it a few times, and removed it.
- brightnessapplet - Much for it.
- qpdf2 - Much for it.

- How about Bluez? I guess the lack of a fully functional GUI config tool makes this harder to justify.
- All the libopie stuff. Not sure if that's in to some extent, but I'm certain I  had to install some additional opie libs to get Wellenreiter (SP?) to launch. It didn't work, but it launched after the extra lib install.
- Voice Recorder to IPK. I use it, but am willing to have it moved to an IPK in favor of another app.
- Opie-Today - Good app which I never got to work properly from the feed, probably my fault. ;-)
--Lexx
.::PDA I currently use::. Zaurus 5600 PXA250 running OPIE/OZ 3.5.4
.::PDA's I've owned (Grouped & in order)::. Palm Pro w/2Mb&IR upgrade, Palm III, Palm IIIxe, Handspring Visor Prism, Sony NR70V, (Sony Clie NX70V/H & Amigo PPC), (Palm Pro, Palm IIIX, Palm IIIxe), Zaurus 5600
.::Accesories::. Ambicom WL1100c, Ambicom BT2000, Kingston 256MB SD card, Sandisk 1GB SD card, AG06 Camera.
A big thank you to all developers involved in any Zaurus project.

dreadlocks

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #253 on: May 25, 2005, 05:20:26 pm »
I got that version of jeode off the ZUG site, its distributed by Sharp for the 3.10 ROM and works flawlessly on watapon.

I think we should only add apps that enhance the basic features for everyone, stuff like nano, bzip2, opiesh, jeode should be kept on a feed (they are on mine btw) and installed by those who specifically use them..

programs that would better watapon being installed by default are:
brightness applet
rotation
qpdf2
maby kino2 and mplayer, proably not

im trying to get my feed moved to the watapon project elsix, if I can get it before the release I think it would be good to have it as a default feed in watapon

Chaos

• View Profile
Watapon ROM
« Reply #254 on: May 25, 2005, 09:35:18 pm »
dreadlocks - I'm perfectly happy having your feed as the main one. In fact, if you want to do that exclusively, excepting maybe a few things like the user-choosable PIM, I'd be happy.

And on another note, having feeds pre-added doesn't seem to work.. :< It at least has some issues. But I'll definitely link heavily to that feed on this next release.

CURRENT LIST OF TO-ADD STUFF (? = unsure/maybe):
qpdf2
nano + ncurses5
brightness applet
rotation
bzip2
opie-sh
kismet? (many people use it - heavily worth it if one has a wireless network card - which many, many people seem to)
Wellenreiter? (if not kismet, then this? Never used it myself, but if anyone can provide some evidence that it's better than kismet...)
NeIC? (IRC - might be worth it, if enough people who use Watapon use IRC...)

And on the voice recorder to IPK... 1) It's not that large. 2) Only if I run out of room.  Remember, trying to FILL space, not SAVE it currently.

(Maybe I should look into Qtopia 2.1? In fact, if everyone's ok being at 1.6.1 for a bit, I think I shall. Maybe build a ROM more or less ground-up, instead of a modification off of Sharp 1.32. )
« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 09:49:17 pm by Chaos »