Author Topic: SNES Problems on Cacko  (Read 1832 times)

kbranch

• View Profile
    • http://
SNES Problems on Cacko
« on: November 07, 2004, 04:36:43 pm »
I'm having trouble getting snes9x to work on my C700 running Cacko 1.20 or 1.21.  I flashed an old NAND backup of 1.18 that worked perfectly.  I'm using the same version of snes9x and SDL with all of these.

Every time I try to run a ROM it freezes the Zaurus solid.  I've tried making a script that launches from a .desktop file, but I get the same result.  I've also tried flashing the sukoshi kernel on 1.21 since that's what my old 1.18 backup is running, but it doesn't make a difference.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Open source RTS.  It's still in the very early stages, so testers are quite welcome.

kbranch

• View Profile
SNES Problems on Cacko
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 09:31:57 pm »
I just tried the .desktop trick on 1.20.  It worked fine for Earthbound and had 3 smaller screens to the left for Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG.  If I try it from the command line, it still just freezes solid.

So it appears that snes9x gets progressively less functional as the Cacko ROM gets newer.  At least for me, that is.

Edit:  Well, Earthbound was working fine.  When I tried it again after trying the other ROMs, it started doing the small screen thing.  After exiting and trying again, it appears to have frozen solid again.

I've run both NAND and RAM diagnostics through the service menu, but both turned out fine.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edit... again:  Everything (except Mario RPG, but that was expected) just magically started working again.  Didn't do anything but reboot a few times after it froze.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 09:55:04 pm by kbranch »
Open source RTS.  It's still in the very early stages, so testers are quite welcome.

kfetisov

• View Profile
SNES Problems on Cacko
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 05:25:06 am »
I just tried the .desktop trick on 1.20.  It worked fine for Earthbound and had 3 smaller screens to the left for Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG.  If I try it from the command line, it still just freezes solid.

So it appears that snes9x gets progressively less functional as the Cacko ROM gets newer.  At least for me, that is.

Edit:  Well, Earthbound was working fine.  When I tried it again after trying the other ROMs, it started doing the small screen thing.  After exiting and trying again, it appears to have frozen solid again.

I've run both NAND and RAM diagnostics through the service menu, but both turned out fine.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edit... again:  Everything (except Mario RPG, but that was expected) just magically started working again.  Didn't do anything but reboot a few times after it froze.
What version of SDL lib do you use?

I recomend LibSDL from zports site - it is 100% compatible with last cacko rom without freezing and screen distortion. Use Snes9x SDL_2 version from suhami.net.
But this library is pretty slow

If you need to get maximum perfomance try to use piro version of SDL (modified w100). You'll get perfomance boost 20-30%. I get 50-60 fps with sound when processor mode is set to overclocked.

Good luck,

Konstantin.

kbranch

• View Profile
SNES Problems on Cacko
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 08:30:33 pm »
What version of SDL lib do you use?

I recomend LibSDL from zports site - it is 100% compatible with last cacko rom without freezing and screen distortion. Use Snes9x SDL_2 version from suhami.net.
But this library is pretty slow

If you need to get maximum perfomance try to use piro version of SDL (modified w100). You'll get perfomance boost 20-30%. I get 50-60 fps with sound when processor mode is set to overclocked.

Good luck,

Konstantin.
I've tried using the zports version, the CVS version of 1.2.6 and some other version of 1.2.6.  I've also tried the SDL_1 and 2 versions without much change.  I'll try the piro version, though.

I think I've figured out that it's related to the C700's small amount of RAM.  If I take all the apps off fast load and make sure there aren't any other apps running, SNES seems to work fairly reliably.

Am I assuming correctly that if I were to make a swap file it would transfer any other apps to the swap and leave the RAM to snes9x?