Author Topic: USB Mouse?  (Read 44049 times)

saakmotu

• View Profile
    • http://www.bpang.com
USB Mouse?
« on: November 18, 2004, 02:10:07 pm »
I picked up one of the iRiver usb host adapters discussed here
https://www.oesf.org/forums/inde...topic=7922&st=0

It works great, so far.
I've been able to hook up an apple usb keyboard with no issue (except I had to reboot with it plugged in, else the keys weren't mapped properly). Some screwy action from the function keys, but I think it's just a matter of figuring them out.

Now, what we really need is mouse support. I haven't seen anything that accomodates this yet.
Any ideas?
An apple USB mouse is recognized, but there's no pointer (not that I really expected one).

It would really bridge the gap between Z and a laptop.

It looks like it might be possible with X/Qt, or perhaps OZ GPE(?).
https://www.oesf.org/forums/inde...?showtopic=6306

I'm using Sharp ROM (stock)
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Linksys wcf12 CF WiFi - Dlink CF Wifi - Xircom CompactCard Ethernet 10
Sharp CF Camera
SerialI/O usb cable - iRiver PMP USB Host Adapter Cable

cwaig

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 02:23:22 pm »
What you need is Yakty's InputHelper applet - this provides a mouse cursor that can be controlled via QCOP messages, then you'll need to code up a small program to route mouse movement and button events to the QCOP channel.

Or you can wait 'til Christmas, when I get the SL6000 my wife's bought for me and I'll code it up myself
SL5500+Origo WIFI+Pocketop Keyboard+BlueMonkey Bluetooth+IBM Microdrive+SL6000+iRiver USB host+PackardBell USB RF mini-mouse+Cheapo Kingmax USB laptop Keyboard+Dynamode USB Ethernet Adaptor
Wrote a couple of things....
IRK, SubApplet, QMode2, NetActive, SimpleEdit, zPocketScript.

data

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 10:09:20 pm »
Can joystick work w/  USB host?

neuroshock

• View Profile
    • http://
USB Mouse?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 01:48:32 am »
cwaig,
I am programming illiterate.  Please let me know when you get that coded and set up.  I would be happy to pay you a little bit for your programming time...using a mouse has long been something I yearned to do, and I was SO hoping it would work with my 6k out of the can.
send me a yell when you get it ready.
dan@danzweb.com
NeuroShock
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']SL-6000L & C3100.[/span]

saakmotu

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 02:20:18 pm »
Or you can wait 'til Christmas, when I get the SL6000 my wife's bought for me and I'll code it up myself
man, that's harsh if she's already bought it and it's just sitting in a box in the closet/under the tree and you can't play with it yet.

but, then, it's a very nice gift to receive...

can't wait for you to get it and code it up!!!
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Sharp CF Camera

cwaig

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 03:48:04 pm »
man, that's harsh if she's already bought it and it's just sitting in a box in the closet/under the tree and you can't play with it yet.

but, then, it's a very nice gift to receive...

can't wait for you to get it and code it up!!!
She has indeed already bought it (she tell's me the screen is very pretty compared to my old Sl5500). And yes, it's hidden somewhere in the house 'til Dec 25th
SL5500+Origo WIFI+Pocketop Keyboard+BlueMonkey Bluetooth+IBM Microdrive+SL6000+iRiver USB host+PackardBell USB RF mini-mouse+Cheapo Kingmax USB laptop Keyboard+Dynamode USB Ethernet Adaptor

saakmotu

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 04:18:28 pm »
What you need is Yakty's InputHelper applet - this provides a mouse cursor that can be controlled via QCOP messages, then you'll need to code up a small program to route mouse movement and button events to the QCOP channel.

Well,, still waiting for Christmas..

In the meantime I figured I would install the InputHelper applet (which I got from here http://yakty.s31.xrea.com/cgi-bin/wiki/lin...utHelperApplet)

but I am not seeing a pointer... do I have to have a mouse connected?

Cwaig, I'm sure it might be hard for you to provide an answer on that without your 6k in hand.. but perhaps there are some steps I need so take that I haven't yet.
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Sharp CF Camera

saakmotu

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 10:20:18 am »
Alright, Cwaig...

Santa has come and gone.. hopefully he left you a 6000.

Hope you like it. Can't wait til you get a chance to figure out  how to route mouse events to QCOP.

Let me know if you need any help, like with testing it (my Z programmingi skills would likely not be up to snuff).
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Sharp CF Camera

cwaig

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2004, 07:29:01 pm »
Alright, Cwaig...

Santa has come and gone.. hopefully he left you a 6000.

Hope you like it. Can't wait til you get a chance to figure out  how to route mouse events to QCOP.
Santa did indeed deliver....I'm writing this from it now

The only thing santa hasn't provided is an iRiver usb host adaptor ('coz I live in the UK and iRiver won't ship to here from the US, and don't sell them as a seperate at all over here).

So...no joy 'til I track down an equivalent adaptor

the_oak

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 08:40:13 am »
Hey Cwaig,
  I have no programming skills, but would like to donate a little iriver usb adapter like the one hubcapboy recommended in the pinned usb adapter thread. I have ordered it and a couple extras from iriver just now. PM me your address and I will forward one to you as my contribution to z software growth. Thanks for your work on the irk driver too.
SL-6000L running Sharp 1.12 rom, (SOLD)
Fujitsu U820 with Windows 7
White Intel MacBook

saakmotu

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 11:13:48 pm »
While waiting patiently for cwaig to receive the_oak's generous offer of the iRiver USB Host Adapter I tried plugging in my USB mouse and rebooting, just to see what would happen. I have already installed Yakty's InputHelper.
On boot up, got a message that modprobe could not find the module "mousedev"

I am not really sure what to do from here.. I mean, if I knew where I could get the mousedev module for the Zaurus (stock Sharp ROM) kernel, I would try loading it.

Otherwise, hopefully this helps keep things moving on this topic and gives cwaig something to ponder while waiting for shipment.
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Sharp CF Camera

cosmos7

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 02:39:09 pm »
You'll notice that if you boot the Z with a USB keyboard plugged in, it'll complain about the lack of keyboarddev, yet the keyboard will function after boot.  I suspect mousedev will not help you.

cwaig

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2005, 12:57:28 pm »
Well, I got my SL6000 for Christmas, and Hubcapboy has kindly given me an iRiver adaptor while he was over here in the UK.

So, I've taken a look at the USB mouse issue - it'll work, guaranteed

Plugged in my USB mouse, then look at the system info - there it is, listed nicely.
Now, to see if it's actually working I did:
Code: [Select]
cat /dev/input/mice
This spits out garbage when you move the mouse - just what we want to see

A simple applet to deal with this will be a doddle. For simplicity, what I'll probably do is poach the cursor code from InputHelper and combine it with something that watches "/dev/input/mice" for input in the same way IRK watches /dev/ttySx. Should be able to do it in an evening (maybe tonight if the wife doesn't mind me throwing a late one).

I'm not sure what the various protocols USB mice spew - the first version will probably only support the protocol from the mouse I use (but more can be added later, and the nice thing about USB is that it's possible to auto detect what mouse it is, so there's no need for any sort of configuration).

nilch

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2005, 02:06:28 pm »
Cwaig - you are the king of making all sorts of input devices work on the Z.

You are really up there...
Now to just wait for your doodle to come up with the perfect laptop replacement hardware wise.
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

soundwave106

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2005, 07:32:04 pm »
Most PC USB mice that I know of use the PS/2 protocol (or at least are backward compatible with it), so if you at least support that one I think a lot of people will be in good shape.