Author Topic: Is The Sl-6000l Worth It?  (Read 6459 times)

cybrjackle

• View Profile
Is The Sl-6000l Worth It?
« on: November 28, 2004, 04:30:25 pm »
I bricked my 5500 a few months ago, and really miss haveing the PDA.

I want another PDA and I'm a Linux only OS kind of guy at home, so the windows devices are out

I have thought about the PalmOne T5, about the same price from Amazon as the 6000 is and is smaller, but I've never used Palm.

I really like haveing Linux on my PDA, but I'm concerned its a little larger than the 5500 which I guess isn't really bad but.....

Are there a lot of apps for it?

Are there any hard cases out there compatibal with it?

If you had $400 to spend on a PDA, would you buy the SL-6000 again?

thx,

cybrjackle

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 04:40:06 pm »
Or would you save another $400 and get the 3000?  I don't know if spending another $400 would be worth it though.  I don't really need 4GB space when I can get enough out of smaller cards.

http://www.dynamism.com/sl-c3000/pricing.shtml

cnorwood19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 04:46:28 pm »
Or would you save another $400 and get the 3000?  I don't know if spending another $400 would be worth it though.  I don't really need 4GB space when I can get enough out of smaller cards.

http://www.dynamism.com/sl-c3000/pricing.shtml
I just went for c750 for $400 or less off ebay... or you could $500 off pricejapan

stupkid

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 05:10:35 pm »
I recommend the c860.  The C3000 is new and there are no alternative ROMs to run on it yet.  The c860 is much faster than the 5500, the c860 price has been going down since the release of the C3000, and development is most active on the C series.  A new version of Cacko will be coming out for the cxx0 series soon as well.  The only down side to the older c series is that their displays are not for outdoor viewing where as the 6000 and C3000 are.

My first PDA was a Palm IIIx.  Man were they sweet.  Palms are a great interface and great software, but totally proprietary.  If you are going to get a Palm plan on buying all the software that you want to use and having to find special hardware for expansion.  I would recommend a Palm to those people that don't care about the money or how cutting edge the technology is and just want the device to work.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 05:13:39 pm by stupkid »

Zaurus SL-C3200 pdaXii13v2 5.5 / Ambicom WC1100C-CF / Socket Bluetooth Rev G

OpenMoko FreeRunner - Running Tweaked OM2008.x Image

cybrjackle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 05:52:04 pm »
If I go with the palm side of things, I'm looking at these too:

http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com/micro...odels/th55.html

http://sonyelectronics.sonystyle.com/micro...odels/ux50.html

They look pretty impressive.

chaosteo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 06:33:22 pm »
Hi

Sony Palm PDA are discontinued. I remmomed you getting Dell X50v if you are considering an alternative of Sharp SL-6000. I was in a dillemma of buying Dell X50v or the Sharp SL-6000. With Dell 25% coupon, you bring it down to  $375 for a PDA with 624 mhz processor, 640*480  screen, wifi and bluetooth.  It is about the same price as the $380 offered by Amazon.com. It is your pick. I just prefer to deal with more programming and more digging for free software over numberous windows crash.

chaosteo

cybrjackle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 11:36:27 pm »
Hi

Sony Palm PDA are discontinued. I remmomed you getting Dell X50v if you are considering an alternative of Sharp SL-6000. I was in a dillemma of buying Dell X50v or the Sharp SL-6000. With Dell 25% coupon, you bring it down to  $375 for a PDA with 624 mhz processor, 640*480  screen, wifi and bluetooth.  It is about the same price as the $380 offered by Amazon.com. It is your pick. I just prefer to deal with more programming and more digging for free software over numberous windows crash.

chaosteo
I was thinking about what you said about Sony discountinuing in the US, but then I thought to my self, so did Sharp for the most part ;-)

/me just says NO to windows devices so Dell is out!

Touch descions, Zaurus is just sexy cause it runs Linux if I get one, think I'll just go with the 6000, but the size does bother me compared to say the Sony TH55.  Sony has the downside of most software will need to be payed for and it doesn't run Linux.

ugh!

How well has the wireless been holding up on the 6000?

Are there any good hard cases for it?

chaosteo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2004, 01:11:27 am »
I will let you know how wifi stacks up when I get it on Wednesday. Well.. Sony is just not my thing.. their "self " memory stick and poor poor poor customer service is just out of questions .. even though it is questionable whether Sharp has one or not.. Let's hope PalmOne will have something good ( T3 is clumbersome with stretch thing, T5 just doens't have wifi and plastic, T C well. my friend has one and he thinks it is good but too me ..it is too flimsy and keypad hard to press... maybe look into Treo 650 ??? even though its key is too cramped to my taste)

Tehas

• View Profile
    • http://users.adelphia.net/~stonerrl/rick/
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2004, 02:28:16 am »
Looks like Linux for the Axim is being worked on.  http://www.clanbv.org/public/axim.html

The problem is that you'd still have to pay the MicroSoft tax to get the box.
+SL-5600 v1.32 ROM (Special pre-emptive kernel with overclock)  +Viking 256CF  +SimpleTech 256CF  +Viking 128SD (as ext2)  +AmbiCom WL1100C +Micro Innovations KB  +Hawking Ethernet CF  
+SL6000L +Lexar 1GB SD (as ext2)  +Windows 98/Me/Nt/XP  +Mandrake 8.1 My Zaurus Page[img]http://users.adelphia.net/~stonerrl/rick/rls_userbar.gif\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]

neuroshock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2004, 04:56:26 am »
To answer your question I definitely would recommend the 6000L.  I own 3, (no I'm not kidding, meant to buy two, one to use and another as a backup but due to a slip of the old fingers I now have 3!)  I have also used a c860 to see how I would like it before I bought my 6000's.  It is not that the c860 was bad, it just didn't compare in all the ways that seemed truly important.
Those things were:
1. built in WiFi (battery life with it on is on par with the best low power wireless WiFi I've used)
2. the fact that the CF slot is available while using wireless. (I know this is an outcrop of #1 but as a benefit it deserves it's own rank.)
3. the screen side by side next to the c860 was brighter and slightly larger and the screen "felt" better using the stylus on the 6k...You'ld just have to use one to understand what I mean!
4. Expansion- You actually HAVE an expansion option with the 6k.  For 170 bucks you can get the expansion sleeve and have yet another cf slot open, a full sized extra battery which is INCREDIBLY beneficial, and another com port.
5. USB HOST! USB HOST! USB HOST!  This is worth buying the 6k just by itself.  You can hook up a full size USB keyboard and just about any USB external HDD of your choosing for unlimited storage! I paid a whopping 16 dollars for a 88 key Adesso keyboard that I use on the go when I need to be able to seriously type for periods of time...it's fullsize but lacks the number pad which makes it small enuf to drop into my backpack etc.

The overall effect of these 5 things is that the 6k passes over that incredible mark that is the holy grail to so many of us and becomes a TRUE Mini-Laptop and while the c860 is a great machine it cannot now and never will reach that status because Sharp chose to limit it in those areas for some ill-advised reason.

As a matter of fact the only two downsides I found at all for the 6k that were even noticeable were that the 6k was larger, even more so with the expansion sled (but it's MUCH more rugged than the c860 as a result) and that pdaXrom is not available yet on the 6k (however you can run the full distribution of debian) and pdaxrom and OZ etc. will inevitably be available soon.

So dollar for dollar, you get MUCH more in the 6k + expansion jacket versus the c860 and that disparity will only grow even larger when the alternate ROM's become available.  Heck even the c3000 doesn't look too great when compared to the 6k.  I have an 1 gb sdcard, a 1gb microdrive, and a 1gb CF card and that gives me 3gb total AND I can still use the wireless simultaneously and even with the cost of the cards figured in the 6k is STILL cheaper! And speaking of storage capacity I can always plug my 2.5" external USB drive up for an additional 40gb when I need some elbow room!

The only final argument that I've heard some ppl raise is that you should be leary of getting a 6k since Sharp is not actively supporting their product in America.  However that whole line of reasoning is mute in the face of the alternative which is buying a c860 that isn't even SOLD in USA and must be returned to Japan to even get it serviced!  Something that folks are forgetting about this also is that Sharp isn't actively supporting the 6k however it IS backing up it's warranty on the item- so if your 6k becomes defective you can get it replaced or fixed right here in the good old US of A.

The c860 is a nice machine and I'd take it over any other PDA/PocketPC in the world right now...EXCEPT the SL-6000L.  I don't blame you for being cautious and asking questions, I was so hard headed I wouldn't buy the 6k until I had compared it myself first.  Just bear this in mind as you reflect, I have noticed that the people that post pro-6000 on this forum tend to have owned or at least used one of the clamshell Zaurii before they bought their 6000, however, those who are pro-c860 are almost invariably individuals who have never owned nor used both.  I'm not blaming them for being ardent about the machine they own, it's human nature to go with what you know, (heck if I'd never used a 6k I'd be convinced that nothing was better myself!)  So keep both eyes and your mind open while reading this and every post.

You won't go greatly wrong with either as a purchase, but as a 6000L owner and someone who has used both I could make no other recommendation than for you to take advantage of the huge sale price Amazon has on the 6000L and it's expansion sleeve.

God Bless and Good Luck to you,

-NeuroShock
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']SL-6000L & C3100.[/span]

jaspercize

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2004, 07:50:34 am »
100% agree. While I have not owned the C860 NeuroShock's info is solid, just as the 6K is. Mine arrived today and the quality is superb.

the_oak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 09:02:31 am »
If you had $400 to spend on a PDA, would you buy the SL-6000 again?

Yes. I also debated with myself, "C-860 or SL-6000". I have not previously owned a C-860, but went with the SL-6000 for much the same list of reasons as neuroshock. I have had mine for a couple months now, and am quite happy with it. To add to neuroshock's list:

SL-6000 has built in speaker and microphone (correct me if I am wrong, but from reviews I have read, C-860 has a speaker, but no microphone)

Shock resistance. You can supposedly drop it from 3 feet or so without damage. (I am not willing to drop mine on purpose to test that out, it is just comforting to know that Sharp claims this.)

The only thing I wish was different on mine is that it has a  2.5" audio jack instead of the more standard 3.5" jack. This requires either listening to mp3's in mono using a telephone type earplug, using a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter, or tracking down a 2.5" stereo headphone set, which I haven't found in any retail store. (JavoEdge makes the JavoeBuds which can be ordered online as someone mentioned in the 6000 hardware forum)
SL-6000L running Sharp 1.12 rom, (SOLD)
Fujitsu U820 with Windows 7
White Intel MacBook

cybrjackle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 11:32:57 am »
NeuroShock,

Thx for the great info, I really did love my 5500 so I think i'm going to take the plung and get the 6k

nilch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 11:49:09 am »
Just a clarification regarding ROM's...

Does the Cacko ROM for the c860/750 have a corresponding version for the 6000 ?
I understand the PDAxROM is not yet available for  the 6000.

Also, have any of your guys with a 6000 plugged in a USB memorty stick into it and does it work fine ?

With the current sale at Amazon, I am tempted to buy a 6000 too (apart from my 750 - which I love, genuinely love) just for the USB host feature and the bigger better screen.
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

dsavard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 11:51:38 am »
I may add I accidentally dropped my Zaurus from the top of my car (~4-4.5 ft) and it survived nicelyb the experience. Only small scratchs under the cancel key and on the screen protector.

I would definetly buy again a Z6K.
JID: AchilleTalon-myjabber.net[/font]
Verbatim SD 64 MB
Lexar 32x 1GB SD
Lexar 4x 1GB CF
Sharp CE-170TS Serial cable