Author Topic: Full Debian On The Sl-c3000  (Read 27925 times)

Newbix

• View Profile
Full Debian On The Sl-c3000
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2004, 04:30:41 pm »
/dev/hda3 Start=1 End=1 Blocks=0 id=0 System=Empty
I think this is an artifact from fdisk.

Recreate a /dev/hdc3 partition with fdisk (you shouldn't have removed it), and format it to fat with
Code: [Select]
mkfs.msdos /dev/hdc3(You might want to add some options, though)

wormwood

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2004, 05:35:49 pm »
Thanks for the fast reply Newbix!
The problem is that I can't create a parition3 . When I try to delete the "aritifact" is says, "Warning: parition 3 has empty type."

When I try to change the type is says, "Partition 3 does not exist yet!"

When I try to create a new parition with 'n' it automatically goes to parition4

I hope I'm not in anykind of trouble  

I tried the mkfs.msdos command just incase but got, mkfs.msdos: Attempting to create a too large file system.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 05:38:59 pm by wormwood »
OpenBSD
SL-C3000
Symbol Wifi CF

pelon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2004, 01:43:17 am »
Warning!!!

After a couple of glorious days with debian on my C3k, I got an hdd1 error on bootup. I was forced to reset via the service menu. This reinitialized the filesysem on hdd3 to vfat once again. The edited version of rc.rofilesys then continued to try to mount it ext3, and I thence received hdd3 errors. Through my ignorance I spent days tracking down this error. ...and completely erasing the drive.

I will soon post my journey back to sanity in the post "brick comes alive"
pelon
hp200LX->hp200LXoverclocked->SL5500->C3000->

prahs

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2004, 04:56:48 am »
I've got a Mercury Wireless CF card that works fine on QT. Do you know if this will work on debian. I've tried searching the web but no joy.

If it does then wa-hey i'll follow your great guide to install Debian.

Thanks...

wormwood

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2004, 12:54:02 pm »
I fixed my previous problem by redoing the entire partition table. I just wrote down the amount of sectors in each parition and then deleted all of the paritions, saved changes and recreated the paritions as they were and everything went well afterwards. I'll try to come back later and elaborate more but that was the gist of it.
OpenBSD
SL-C3000
Symbol Wifi CF

Newbix

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2004, 04:37:55 pm »
I've got a Mercury Wireless CF card that works fine on QT. Do you know if this will work on debian.
It should work fine, since I didn't change the kernel.

However, you won't be able to go to the configuration menus , so if there is some setup to do you'll have to do it by hand (but I don't know how exactly; I've never used any wireless card).

ivo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2005, 12:43:46 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for this great howto - debian runs smoothly now. I have some remaining issues though:

- the on/off button does not work. Pressing it does not suspend the device, but rrunning zsuspend does (and after that, the on/off switch *does* unsuspend!)

- has anyone looked into screenflipping? I'm going to have a look at how pdaxrom does this and see if this can be reused.

Lastly, does anyone have any mplayer tips/tricks for this setup? (I must admit that I haven't even istalled mplayer yet - can I expect problems with the vnc setup? Will mplayer bypass vnc and use the framebuffer directly?)

Cheers

Neverwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2005, 02:13:04 pm »
What is the benefit of Debian on the C3000?  Sorry, I'm not a Linux user, and I don't have the C3000 'yet'...

ivo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2005, 06:44:26 pm »
What is the benefit of Debian on the C3000?  Sorry, I'm not a Linux user, and I don't have the C3000 'yet'...
Most of the other roms don't work (yet) on the c3000, and the standard qtopia rom is a bit too limited for me. I run debian everywhere and it's great to be able to simply apt-get install software (though the ipkg system offered by most other systems is a very good alternative)

ThC

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2005, 07:04:46 pm »
the benefit of the debian environment on the c3000 is to have a full X11 environment including lots of packages (softwares), dev tools and an onboard compiler (as you can apt-get install gcc-3.4 ) so it's for the moment, the closest thing to pdaXrom for the c3000 (although it doesn't have any software-fpu enabled kernel nor any optimised X11 server yet)
SL-C3000 - pdaXrom 1.1.0Beta1
SL-C860 - pdaXrom 1.1.0 RC8 (charging circuitry dead :( )
CF RamStar 512 Mb / Hitachi 4Gb microdrive (thanks to creative's muvo² :p)
SD Sandisk 1Gb / Viking 256 Mb
Linksys WCF13 CF wifi card

Anyone willing to donate for my work, please consider donate to pdaXrom and/or OE/OZ projects instead, I wouldn't have been able to do anything without them ...

Neverwinter

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2005, 12:49:21 am »
Cool.  Does anyone know how the development of other ROMs are going?  The ones for the C3000?

ThC

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2005, 01:18:16 pm »
IMHO we will have to wait for sharp to release an update to the c3000 ROM so developers will be able to hack the updating process as it's slightly different from other models (OS is now installed in the microdrive instead of internal flash memory) ... then we should be able to see some openembedded ROMS or cacko's one ... for a pdaXrom we will have to wait for some driver to be achieved for the new graphic chip but I think it could run in framebuffer too in a first time ^^ Oh and of course we will mainly have to wait for one of the developers of one of these roms to buy himself a c3000

Anyone willing to donate for my work, please consider donate to pdaXrom and/or OE/OZ projects instead, I wouldn't have been able to do anything without them ...

Milan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2005, 03:43:51 pm »
IMHO we will have to wait for sharp to release an update to the c3000 ROM so developers will be able to hack the updating process as it's slightly different from other models (OS is now installed in the microdrive instead of internal flash memory) ... then we should be able to see some openembedded ROMS or cacko's one ... for a pdaXrom we will have to wait for some driver to be achieved for the new graphic chip but I think it could run in framebuffer too in a first time ^^ Oh and of course we will mainly have to wait for one of the developers of one of these roms to buy himself a c3000
In fact it it's not so difficult to get pdaxrom running on c3000. I have it on my c3000 after a great time of hacking/tweaking. You have to get C3000's hard drive initialized. It's not like a PC PCI HD, it's connected as a PCMCIA device so you have to get up and running the whole PCMCIA susbsystem prior the booting from the HD. The rest is pretty straightforward, I would say even easier than with cx00 series, because you can forget about different flash rom sizes etc. The only problems I found so far are:

1. screen calibration doesn't work. The pdaxrom calibration utility doesn't work with c3000 frame buffer driver anymore...

2. pdaxrom uses some kind of proprietary SD card manager kernel module. I can't compile this module for c3000 kernel because I have no source and there is a different kernel version (2.4.20 instead of 2.4.18).

So this is the report. based on my experience with pdaxrom team schedule, you can expect to have a pdaxrom distribution running sometimes in Q3/2005 :-)))

Milan

ThC

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2005, 05:24:25 pm »
I wasn't talking about one running pdaXrom on his 3000 but everyone being able to install it simply and without bricking his Z    I mean would you be able to make an image with an updater.sh script out of your setup ? if the answer is yes maybe you should apply to pdaXrom dev team  ...
btw the calibration problem was such a thing I was expecting with the new graphic controler but for your SD card manager problem you should try using one of the tweaked 2.4.20 kernels lying around (I've posted a link to them somwhere in this forum ) which include soft float drivers and so may work with pdaXrom (and have SD drivers ) ...

Oh and could you please give some more details on how you did manage to use pdaXrom on your c3000 ?  
« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 05:27:01 pm by ThC »

Cyril92

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2005, 03:58:51 am »
@Milan : what you say is very interesting : I also thought that it should be easier to port roms on c3000 because of the new system on CF.

BTW, do you have some screenshots ?
SL-C760 (Cacko ROM), 256Mb CF,512Mb SD
Pentopia stylus 3in1,CF wifi , CE-RH1
looking for : SL5500
Previous : C3000,C860 & 6000L.