Author Topic: Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image  (Read 74939 times)

Cwiiis

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« on: April 05, 2005, 10:15:15 pm »
OZ 3.5.3 release has happened, please skip to the bottom of this post (note: post, not thread) to see updates and information related to the official GPE image.

As I only have a collie, I can't say how the gpe-image will be on other PDAs, but the issues I was concerned with for OZ/GPE 3.5.3 have mostly been resolved now, so I have provided a preview image, along with Minimo, <link removed due to release>. Note that although I have provided a few kernel memory configurations, I have only tested with 64-0. Minimo requires a fair amount of memory, and may not perform well with other configurations - If you have success, or indeed failure, please report here!

Slightly updated software may be included in the final release image, but on the whole, this is how it will be. If you notice any show-stopping bugs, please say, and I'll try to fix them ASAP. As the release is planned for tomorrow, likelihood is this image represents the final image almost exactly, so I hope you like it!

I may add to the software located at the link above if the release doesn't happen on time. Packages from the 3.5.2 and 3.5.1 feeds should work ok with this image, but I can't guarantee that.

Known bugs:
- Key shortcuts can't be configured
- Auto-sleep doesn't work
- Alarms don't work during suspend
- 'Control Panel' shortcut doesn't work
- Light control in the 'Screen Setup' application is very erratic
- Enabling visual effects will cause input to stop working - Things will be fine once X has been killed/restarted remotely, or the PDA is restarted
- The MBOpus theme doesn't contain all necessary theme elements to handle docked apps
- Hold for right-click seems not to work over some elements anymore
- GPE's package manager is still mostly unusable for collie (it lacks the ability to install to a non-root location)

Notable fixes/changes since 3.5.1/3.5.2:
- ipkg-link now reads /etc/ipkg.conf
- Resuming from suspend works
- Updated software (Minimo!)
- Changed package destinations (/mnt/cf -> /media/cf/packages, etc.)

Please use this topic for any conversation on problems and solutions related to GPE - I'll do my best to help out.

Updates - 12th April '05

New applications/upgrades in my ipk directory:
-gpe-filemanager (along with gnome-vfs plugins)
-enhanced gxine (along with all necessary libxine plugins, and extra oss audio output plugin)
-updated matchbox (small fixes over the subversion snapshot featured in this image)
-updated gtk (fixes odd behaviour of GtkTreeView widgets)

NB: OZ release happening very soon now (perhaps tomorrow?), so most of this will be included with the OZ release. In the case it gets delayed however, here it is for early-adopters

Updates - 13th April '05

-OZ 3.5.3 released, pre-release removed
-gxine, updated matchbox and necessary dependencies upload to official upgrades feed

Note! If you want to play oggs with gxine, you will have to force the downgrade of libvorbisidec to the version contained in the upgrades feed. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future, and will certainly be fixed in future releases.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 12:02:32 pm by Cwiiis »

CoreDump

• View Profile
    • http://www.hentges.net
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 12:01:25 pm »
GPE has come a long way since the 3.5.1 days. It looks damn nice.
Thanks Cwiiis  
Webmaster of hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer.

jfv

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 07:20:14 pm »
Hi,
I tried this on a 5000D. You didn't provide a kernel so I used one (24-8) that I had previously downloaded. It gave some warning during boot but booted fine. Some things have improved. Most importantly for me, Tcl/Tk now works fine. Sokoban is cool  . Some things I had the same problems as I reported on my experiments with 3.5.1 and 3.5.2. Does Rosetta work for anybody? It segfaults from the command line.

Felipe
SL 5000 D  and C860 Sharp ROM
Too many accessories...

miskinis

• View Profile
    • http://
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 11:44:32 pm »
Hi,

I've only had a couple hours on it so far, but it is much better
than any previous GPE version I have tried.  I've noticed an
issue, where the calender app is launched when using the
control key on the popop-keyboard.

I will be trying more on it during the week, and look foward to
figuring out how to invoke and try minimo.

I also was able to create an X Window from my main linux box
to the Z (SL-5500) , over a WEP-enabled wireless connection,
so I'm really interested in this relase now

Great work so far,

John
_John Miskinis_

woloi

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 04:01:05 pm »
WEP ENCRYPTED WIRELESS WORKS!

Sorry, I've been extremely pissed off that it wasn't working for the past few releases, and I haven't had anytime to try and do anything about it, but right now, my Sl-5500 is finally connected to my college WLAN.

Now to just figure out how to use GPE, because I've usually used OPIE before... :-p

One thing I've noticed, the LAN app needs horizontal sliders, it only has vertical ones, makes it hard to read the entire screen.

jfv

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 07:22:35 pm »
How did you guys get wireless working? I went to network setup, checked wifi, configured it with my wep key and tried both "open" and "restricted" (I actually would like to know what these mean, in all other ROMs and computers it's either WEP or no WEP.) anyway, it desn't work for me. My card is a D-Link 650 W and works fine with other ROMs. I looked under PC/CF cards and it had ZCOMAX Airrunner/XI-300,  no driver loaded on socket 0 and nothing on socket 1. Does it mean that this ROM doesn't have a driver for this card? Ha, found a list of drivers. Now which one is the right one? If somebody can answer, it will save me a lot of trial and error.

[Edit] The driver is orinoco (?). Anyhow, then the card shows as eth0 and I had to go back to network setup, enter the wep key and choose open (?), then I prayed to the voodoo gods of GPE (most important part) and I was online! [/Edit]

On an unrelated note, does rosetta work for anybody? I've asked many times but never got an answer.

Thanks

Felipe
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 07:46:09 pm by jfv »
Too many accessories...

Cwiiis

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 08:05:17 pm »
jfv - Glad to hear of your success with your wifi card, perhaps you could file a bug about it, along with your solution?

As for rosetta, it works perfectly for me.

I've updated the ipk directory on my web-space with some new software - OZ release should happen tomorrow, but I may offer a slightly more up-to-date image, as some software updates didn't quite make release time (this software will however be in the upgrades feed)

Anyway, check first post for details!

[img]http://handhelds.org/scap/port.21837.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /] [img]http://handhelds.org/scap/port.21993.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 08:11:33 pm by Cwiiis »

miskinis

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 08:17:15 pm »
Hi,

I used a Socket wifi card with my SL-5000 when I got the WEP connection
working.  Today, at work, I briefly used my Linksys wifi card to get a
connection (WEP not in use there).  I was actually surprised to see a connection
was established, as I did not change any info in any of the setup tabs, and
it was still set to use WEP, and with my key from home.

I do not remember the details of what I did to setup the eth0 device in
"network setup", but as I remember, I did nothing special, just filled out
the "dialogs", provided my WEP key, etc.

If I remember correctly I saw "managed" today, in the wifi popup, if that
helps.  I can look in detail later, to see what I have specified in all of the
tabs, if you are stuck.  I get the impression you are experiencing issues
due to the wifi card you are using...

John
_John Miskinis_

jfv

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 09:08:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies. The wifi issue is not really a bug, just lack of documentation. The card is not automatically recognized so I had to select a driver. How to do those things is not immediately clear but I figured them out with some poking around.

Rosetta worked once I added some swap. I guess it's not compiled to run in the constrained environment of a 5000D. Now the trainer hung when I tried to save the new stroke database. Actually, every time I restart, I get some error message about an inaccessible database.

Felipe
Too many accessories...

miskinis

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 12:18:12 pm »
I've installed minimo, and it shows up in "ipkg list".

How do I invoke it?  (I can't find it ! )

Many thanks,

John
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 12:18:36 pm by miskinis »
_John Miskinis_

Cwiiis

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 12:48:24 pm »
Make sure you've linked it to root (ipkg-link mount /media/sd/packages, for example), then log out and log in and the shortcut should appear in the 'Others' category

miskinis

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 02:56:27 pm »
Make sure you've linked it to root (ipkg-link mount /media/sd/packages, for example), then log out and log in and the shortcut should appear in the 'Others' category
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74791\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I need to hunt for, and read up on this "ipkg link" command.  I do not see
it listed in the "help" that is produced by invoking "ipkg" with no arguments.

I'm also new to the 64-0 kernel usage, so in the past I have just installed
packages using "ipkg install foo.ipk".  I guess I will have to wait until I get
out of work today to research this stuff.

I have konqueror displayed remotely on the Z in the meantime

John
_John Miskinis_

ironstorm

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 03:51:16 pm »
I need to hunt for, and read up on this "ipkg link" command. 

ipkg-link is a different command then ipkg - note the dash

woloi

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 07:13:10 pm »
I might be stupid, but how do I get a package list on my Zaurus so it knows how to install a program?  Or am I going about that wrong (I haven't used these new builds much, just the old ones from like, a year back).

jfv

• View Profile
Oz 3.5.3 Gpe-image
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 08:28:05 pm »
Well, it was hanging often but it would come back after flipping the battery switch and rebooting, but now when rebooting it goes to the splash screen and then keeps showing an error message: "unable to open database /root/.gpe/categories" and the message keeps flashing on and off on the screen. I guess is back to the Sharp ROM again...

Felipe
Too many accessories...