Author Topic: which sharp rom  (Read 4121 times)

davidsan

• View Profile
which sharp rom
« on: February 11, 2004, 12:27:46 am »
Hi new to this and wondering which sharp rom was the one to use for my c860.have flashed cacko but looking for something easier.
Thanks davidsan

leemind

• View Profile
    • http://
which sharp rom
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 07:54:02 am »
davidsan,  I had the same thoughts.  Not sure what you mean by easier though... which Cacko did you flash?.  There are 2 Cacko roms. An X11 based one and a Qtopia based one.  The latter is just like the sharp Rom that came with your 860 but with bugs removed and lovely looking fonts, and to me it seems faster.  I\'m not sure what could be easier than that.  Handcom apps work beautifully and look great too.

The X11 rom, is a completely different kettle of fish.  I was stunned to see X11 running on a little handheld looking just like a proprt computer... Stunning, but I wouldn\'t call it \"easy\".  I liked it, but have gone for the Cacko Qt version instead. Still, an amazing achievement given they are living off donations and doing it in their spare time (correct me if I am wrong)

Then, there is the Kompany Rom, and Open Zaurus.  OZ is becoming Open Embedded (am I right?) so was kinda waiting for that to pan out, and no idea about the Kompany Rom.  I would love to hear other people opinions on the latter 2.

zbones

• View Profile
which sharp rom
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 02:15:01 pm »
There\'s not much to choose between cacko qt and tkc at the moment, I tried both and kept the cacko qt rom.

Peter.
Zaurus cl760, cacko QT rom. Zaurus sl5500 with TKCrom 1.0.
512mb Kingston cf card, 256mb Sandisk sd card, Lexar 256mb sd card.
Bluemonkey bluetooth card <-> Sony Ericsson k700i for gprs.
Buffalo WLI-CF-S11G wifi card. Haicom 303 mmf gps cf/seral card.

fu-ga-zi

• View Profile
which sharp rom
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 04:24:27 am »
I\'m currently doing some testing on my C760 and need to reflash quite often

I currently toggle between TheKompanyROM (TKR) and Cacko QT ROMs, both have their Pro\'s and Con\'s (This is truly not objective):
TKR:
+ The TKR is quite slim and IMHO has the best looking icons and themes
+ On TKR you can omit the Sharp apps you don\'t need, as they have been taken out and can be installed as package
- The keyhelper app. does not work (at least I didn\'t manage)
- The graphical installer does also not work, apps need to be installed via console and ipkg commands

Cacko:
+ Has some nice additions like Kino2 on board, which is a nice video player
+ Comes with different keyboard layouts that can even be toggled
- There seems to be no documentation about how to adapt the keyboard layouts to your needs in case you don\'t like the given sets
- Opera (my favourite browser) comes with icons you can see, whereas all other opera installations use the icons for the 5x00 series, which appear very small on our VGA screens

Cacko X11
Has all Pro\'s and con\'s of an X system: It is very powerful and adaptable to your needs (The only ROM on which I managed to get the keyboard layout I wanted) but not always very intuitive, so definitely not for the PDA/PIM user
+ comes with a tuning app: You can make your Z faster OR even slower to extend runtime with one battery, eg. if you only want to read something
+ Many different flavours of Window Managers (which might also be a Minus, which one is the best to choose?)
+ Can act as basis for Gentoo linux on your Sharp (experimental)
+ Hancom Office can easily be replaced with Abiword and gnumeric (even though they are much bigger), and even GIMP runs
+ X11 apps you want to run on your Z that nobody has compiled yet for Arm architecture could more or less easily be done by yourself provided the sources are available
- IMHO the Cacko X11 is still in Alpha mode, eg. setting date to the current date crashes the system, so I had always dates like beginning of January 2004

My personal favourite would be the Cacko X11 ROM if the date/time bug would be fixed. For the time being I stay with one of the two first mentioned, not having decided finally which one I like more.

Foxdie

• View Profile
    • http://trackmygps.co.uk
which sharp rom
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 07:34:28 am »
I\'ve tried the Default Qtopia ROM, Cacko X11 ROM and Cacko Qtopia ROM.

If I didn\'t need to sync with Outlook I would stick with the X11 ROM but for now I\'m using the Cacko Qtopia ROM, it suits my needs perfectly and I get more internal storage space - 90~ MB for App\'s, MP3\'s, Po.. er educational material
Jason "Foxdie" Gaunt
HTC Universal G4 with 2GB SD card running Debian Titchy Linux
[img]http://trackmygps.co.uk/signatures/foxdie.gif\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Click image to view my GPS tracker
Follow me on Twitter: @jasongaunt

fu-ga-zi

• View Profile
which sharp rom
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 09:15:50 am »
Foxdie,

you can have the same with the TKROM, the footprint is even a bit smaller, it leaves 2.something MB in the 25 MB root partition, while cacko requires 27 MB.

regards

Peter

bluedevils

• View Profile
which sharp rom
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 11:28:12 am »
I don\'t have this problem at all

- The graphical installer does also not work, apps need to be installed via console and ipkg commands.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

zbones

• View Profile
which sharp rom
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 03:10:19 pm »
The graphical installer only works on tkcrom if you have an sd card inserted.

fu-ga-zi, surely this

- Opera (my favourite browser) comes with icons you can see, whereas all other opera installations use the icons for the 5x00 series, which appear very small on our VGA screens  

Is a plus not a minus :wink:

bluedevils

• View Profile
which sharp rom
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 03:26:11 pm »
Wouldn\'t this also be part of the cacko qt as well?

The graphical installer only works on tkcrom if you have an sd card inserted.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

zbones

• View Profile
which sharp rom
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 04:13:23 pm »
Wouldn\'t this also be part of the cacko qt as well?

I\'ve just tried it my my c760, and no, the installer works fine without an sd card  

So I guess sash must have fixed it  

Not that I remove my sd card much, but nice to know.

Peter