Author Topic: What to choose: tckVideo or Mr. Z Video Player?  (Read 2840 times)

Anonymous

What to choose: tckVideo or Mr. Z Video Player?
« on: February 11, 2004, 03:33:36 pm »
I\'ve read that the commercial Divx players tckVideo and Dr. Z Video Player are better than open source alternatives.  I am ready to purchase one of them but I need info on which one is better for my 5600 Zaurus.

It seems tckVideo supports more video formats but it seems it has not been updated since 2002 (I am not sure about this though).  It does not specifically say that it supports 5600.

Dr. Z Video Player has a 5600 version (or rather XScale).

Anyone who can recommend one over the other?

Thanks

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 03:42:17 pm »
Oops. It\'s tkcVideo

bluedevils

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 03:49:05 pm »
I have tkcvideo and it has been updated at least late last year.  I have no complaints with tkcVideo.  I would also look into mplayer (free) it has given me great performance but may not be quite as polished.
I'm now an iphone user and use my zaurii as serial terminals, perl and shell scripting and when I need 640x480 screens

sl-c3100/pda cacko 1.23 | sl-6000l/needs battery | sl-c760/server pdaxrom rc12 | Former sl-5500/tkcrom owner (sister's birthday gift)

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 11:26:28 am »
Well, I went ahead and bought tkcVideo.  As suggested I made a Divx video file with resolution 240X160 (or something like that) and mp3 mono sound 22K.   It plays nice on my desktop.  When I play it on my Zaurus the sound does not sync with video.  The sound is way behind.  I did install the new kernel with turned off errata.  

Does every one else with 5600 have the same sync problem?  The video is more or less smooth but I can\'t use it without the sound.

I also tried playing my regular Divx clips with my 512MB CF card.  The playback is choppy but it seems that there is no sync problem.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 12:58:00 am »
I also have tkcvideo.

I played around with vidomi for HOURS one day to come up with settings to keep the audio/video in sync.  I finally did, and guess what?  I forgot to save my settings

I now just encode to mpeg format.  the file size is 2x bigger but I never have any problems with audio/video sync.

abcdef

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 02:03:21 am »
I should have seen this topic earlier. I have 5600 and tried tkcvideo, too. It was horrible
in audio/video sync. I encoded movie at about 150 bit rate with 240X160 but playback was
not very good. I moved to Dr. Z video player and it is really impressive. Even at higher bit
rate with 320X240, there\'s no sync issue at all even though there was frame drop a little
on my SD card.
BTW, playback from CF card was choppy? I have a plan to buy a CF card with the hope that
playback would be much better. Well... probably I should buy high speed CF card then...

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 09:54:23 am »
I also tried playing my regular Divx clips with my 512MB CF card.  The playback is choppy but it seems that there is no sync problem.

When I said regular, I meant 640x480 resolution with full sound.  Otherwise, my CF card seems to be much faster than SD.
SL-C3100 (from PriceJapan.com): modified Sharp Rom (couldn't make Japanese input work in Cacko Rom)

ex-SL-C3000; ex-SL-5600; ex-Simpad

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 04:45:01 am »
you guys ought to check out my updated website..........  i can play videos with no sync problems at all............ follow the new tutorial  i had to change everything when divx and tkcvideo updated it but it took me a year to post it up...im currently working on a linux version with audio and video sync with free tools but at the moment, i am a harddrive away of finishing my linux box.  i used my last disk to keep my terabyte disk space on my main video pc.

feel free to view website at www.zaurusvideo.zaurii.net and i hope to purchase a clamshell 860 or a sl6000 and ill optimize those as well.

check out my nemo demo also....it plays smooth and you can fastforward or rewind as well without loosing sync.

that\'s my job at least to try and make everyone happy with zauruses and home made or dvd movies.

Cresho

www.zaurusvideo.zaurii.net

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 04:47:42 am »

kurochka

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 10:46:52 am »
As you\'ve seen earlier I\'ve bought the latest version of tkcVideo and it had huge video/sound sync problem.  I borrowed a previous version of tkcVideo (I think 1.5) and it runs perfectly.  No sync problem.  What gives?
SL-C3100 (from PriceJapan.com): modified Sharp Rom (couldn't make Japanese input work in Cacko Rom)

ex-SL-C3000; ex-SL-5600; ex-Simpad

vanstrien

• View Profile
    • http://www.vanstrien.net
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 02:33:37 pm »
I\'m surprised you are having syncing problems.  I have had tkcvideo for a few years and watch a lot of videos on my Z.  Mind you, I do not try to fast forward or rewind, which always interrupts the sync, but if I play a video start to end it is usually perfect.

My best advice is to try something like Dr. Divx to creat the video and use the Handheld settings at 320x240 or 640x480.  

I used to create videos using VirtualDub, but Dr. Divx seems to be easier to use.
C860 Cacko ROM | 5500 tkcROM
256MB SD | 128MB SD
512MB CF | 256MB CF
D-Link DWL 660 WiFi| Linksys WCF12 WiFi
Socket Bluetooth | Socket Ethernet