Author Topic: Psx Running On The Zaurus  (Read 55765 times)

TJBK_TJB

• View Profile
Psx Running On The Zaurus
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2006, 06:22:47 pm »
Is this a joke?
There is not way Zaurus can handle psx. lol
This has got to be a joke!
It's impossible!
It bearly runs FireFox!
Tell me this is a joke!

Update- Heck, Visual Boy Advance is bearly playable! ---Gameboy emulator!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I agree it sounds too good to be true, but from what I have read the PSX cpu is very easy to emulate in comparison to other cpus, so I presume this gives it a boost over harder systems to emulate. Firefox runs slowly because it has not been designed for portable devices, and firefox is a whole different kind of app.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I've used it before, and I was amazed. It worked at about half speed on FF7. Maybe it was better... perhaps 75%.

Dima202

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006, 07:14:42 pm »
Is this a joke?
There is not way Zaurus can handle psx. lol
This has got to be a joke!
It's impossible!
It bearly runs FireFox!
Tell me this is a joke!

Update- Heck, Visual Boy Advance is bearly playable! ---Gameboy emulator!
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I agree it sounds too good to be true, but from what I have read the PSX cpu is very easy to emulate in comparison to other cpus, so I presume this gives it a boost over harder systems to emulate. Firefox runs slowly because it has not been designed for portable devices, and firefox is a whole different kind of app.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I've used it before, and I was amazed. It worked at about half speed on FF7. Maybe it was better... perhaps 75%.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127340\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Awesome, where can I d/l it? Link is broken
btw, what Zaurus did you use? I have c-860 which actually should outperform the c3xxx since it has an Imegeon 100 gpu. The c3xxx just use the processors gpu.
-Update: Does this run from SD, or should I purchase a CF card? I took out sd card --from my camera and put it into the Zaurus. So it's not formated under ext2/ext3 ----also is sd fast enough for game to load?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 10:01:09 pm by Dima202 »

Dima202

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2006, 05:57:55 am »
Well I installed the beta 0.06 I gotta tell ya, I am very impressed! This thing is AWESOME!Althought I only got to the Sony Computer screen.... Tried Road Rash and Crash Bandicoot ("Maybe incompatible  ) (i have c860 beta1)
I am can;t wait until it's developed by these awesome people and the games are playable!!! ))
btw, anyone would like to comment about c860 and ati gpu?

anunakin

• View Profile
    • http://vivaphp.net
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2006, 06:45:06 am »
The actual link, not broken, is for version 035
http://www.friggingames.com/zpsx035.zip
[img]http://www.vivaphp.net/imagens/rev2.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Anunakin (Marcus Fazzi)

Nokia N900 32GB + microSD 2GB
Nokia N810 w/ microSD 8GB
Nokia 5310 XpressMusic w/ microSD 1GB
HP48GX->Psion Sienna->Palm m130->Tungsten T->Zaurus SL-5500->C3000->C3100 ALL SOLD

My FEED(On Line AGAIN!!!)

bmxer55

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2006, 07:20:43 pm »
Is there any way to get this working on an SL-5500 with pdaxrom? I've tried but the console says "Illegal Operation". So I can't get it to work.

anunakin

• View Profile
    • http://vivaphp.net
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 08:03:44 pm »
Is there any way to get this working on an SL-5500 with pdaxrom? I've tried but the console says "Illegal Operation". So I can't get it to work.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127496\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

This requeries, for now, at least a SL-5600 ...
[img]http://www.vivaphp.net/imagens/rev2.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Anunakin (Marcus Fazzi)

Nokia N900 32GB + microSD 2GB
Nokia N810 w/ microSD 8GB
Nokia 5310 XpressMusic w/ microSD 1GB
HP48GX->Psion Sienna->Palm m130->Tungsten T->Zaurus SL-5500->C3000->C3100 ALL SOLD

My FEED(On Line AGAIN!!!)

Dima202

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 10:01:52 pm »
I finally got it to work!!! Can't believe it heh, I was just putting wrong formatted bins heh. Well Road Rad Jailbreak is stuck as intro. Tekken 2 is almost playable when overclocked. Undeclocked, runs at about %50 original.
Can't wait for more update !!

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
    • http://www.pocketnix.org
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2006, 08:43:21 am »
I have c-860 which actually should outperform the c3xxx since it has an Imegeon 100 gpu

the wmmx makes the pxa270's quite powerfull, from what i have seen it tends to be faster that the imigeon at video decoding and simmilar tasks (looking at betaplayer benchmarks and using devices which have had those chips in them)

only problem is the wmmx is very power hungry ;(
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

Gemini Order: #95 (roughly)
Current Device: Samsung Chromebook Gen 3
Current Arm Devices Count: ~30
Looking to acquire: Cavium Thunder X2 Hardware

stuffman

• View Profile
    • http://www.dylanpowell.net/zaurus
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2006, 07:04:15 pm »
*patiently awaiting the upcoming release*

Just started FF8 and it would be great to see some of these speedups. I just hope nothing breaks compatibility with my C860!
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']SL-C860 Running pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1.
5GB Seagate ST-1 Microdrive from Rio Carbon, Asst. Other CF Cards.
512MB Sandisk SD.
AmbiCom WL1100C-CF WiFi Card.
Some GPS Card I Can't Remember...
Palm Tungsten Retractable Stylus (If You're Not Using These, You're Missing Out!).
[/font][/span]

zodttd

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2006, 03:45:20 pm »
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of a release. There's been a lot more additions to our psx4all codebase that ZPSX is based on.

I wrote a threaded interpreter, which is a slightly faster version of the old CPU interpreter. Lot's of large speedups in the GPU have been made. But the biggest addition of all is the option for underclocking the PSX. By underclocking, the GP2X handheld (at 266MHz) reaches speeds of over 30+ FPS in-game on titles support this method. I'll get it ported to the Z asap.

Once again, sorry for the delay. The GPU was holding the release back, then I waited for Beta 4, and now the GPU needs a slight update again.
http://www.zodttd.com for all your psx4all needs (as in downloads and support). :)

CLICK HERE TO DONATE ANY AMOUNT VIA PAYPAL

Thanks for the support! I can hardly wait to get back into Zaurus development again. :)

flexibyte

• View Profile
    • http://www.flexibyte.com
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2006, 03:57:57 pm »
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of a release. There's been a lot more additions to our psx4all codebase that ZPSX is based on.

I wrote a threaded interpreter, which is a slightly faster version of the old CPU interpreter. Lot's of large speedups in the GPU have been made. But the biggest addition of all is the option for underclocking the PSX. By underclocking, the GP2X handheld (at 266MHz) reaches speeds of over 30+ FPS in-game on titles support this method. I'll get it ported to the Z asap.

Once again, sorry for the delay. The GPU was holding the release back, then I waited for Beta 4, and now the GPU needs a slight update again.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=129509\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

By underclocking the PSX? I can't picture how that would help, but at least it makes a difference . Is the dynamic recompiler still being worked on? Also - from your experience so far, will the emulator run games faster/better on the Zaurus than the GP2X?
New UK/Europe Zaurus Seller - Website coming soon.

zodttd

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2006, 12:57:56 am »
Ok, a quick release (think "teaser") for psx4zaurus.
psx4zaurus is the new name for ZPSX.

Anyways, it's a teaser since it doesn't take into account all the features of the Zaurus, and has the same graphical bugs as the GP2X Beta 1.8.

So get psx4zaurus Beta 1.8 at:
http://www.friggingames.com/psx4zaurus.zip

If you like this release and want to see more updates, please consider donating.

PLEASE READ THE INCLUDED INSTRUCTIONS AS STATED HERE:
psx4zaurus beta 1.8 (formerly known as ZPSX)
by ZodTTD
based on psx4all core by Unai, ZodTTD, Chui, and Tinnus.

A PSX EMULATOR ON THE ZAURUS! YAY!

This beta is a quick port to the Zaurus (within an hour time) from the GP2X version of psx4all.
It has all the same functionality as it's GP2X relative, but does not include hardware scaling.

psx4zaurus is currently compiled for use with pdaXrom. It is recommended for performance reasons, that pdaXrom beta3 be used using the SDL_1.2.9_armv5tel.ipk provided in it's feed.

How to install:
1. Copy the extracted psx4zaurus folder to your storage media for the Zaurus.
2. Copy scph1001.bin (PSX BIOS) to the psx4zaurus directory that contains the psx4all binary.
3. Overclocking is recommended for performance reasons. To do so, boot to the command prompt in pdaXrom. Enter the command startx. Use the CPU Config tool in System to overclock as desired. Exit X Windows.
4. At the command prompt, outside of X Windows if you prefer fullscreen, run the psx4all binary.
5. You are now running psx4zaurus. Continue reading...
6. posx4zaurus currently supports RAW format BIN files (use Binchunker to convert an ISO to BIN) and .Z compressed BIN files made with PocketISO 2.0.

How to play:
1. After running psx4all you will see a menu system. The menu does the following:
- Sound toggle. This is currently disabled. Sound is working but since this was a GP2X port, it was not enabled in the build. Wait for the next beta coming soon.
- Interlace. Interlacing draws every other line on the screen. It will speed things up considerably.
* NOTE * Interlacing option is binded to the R key currently (not the L key as stated).
- Progressive interlacing. Progressive interlacing will progressively draw in the lines missing from the interlaced option. This currently makes things look a little weird.
* NOTE * Progressive interlacing option is binded to the Q key currently (not the A key as stated).
- Choose a game by pressing the X button. Hold down Q and press X to load an existing save for that game.
* NOTE * Only save slot 1 (Q key) is reported to work. This will be fixed. Also sorry about progressive being binded to the wrong key, as it interferes with loading save states. This will be fixed.
- When in-game you can save a state by pressing and holding down Q and pressing Z.
- Exit the menu by pressing the S key.

When in-game you may use the following key combinations:
- Controls are:
KEY         ACTION
Q         L1 TRIGGER
W         R1 TRIGGER
E         L2 TRIGGER
R         R2 TRIGGER
X,Z,A,S      Mapped to the PSX hard buttons starting with the X button going clockwise.
Thumbpad      Analog control stick
START         OK
SELECT      SPACE
- To enter the in-game menu where you can switch games, do save states, and all the rest of the options:
Hold down TAB then press SPACE
- To "underclock" the internal PSX CORE CLOCK SPEED, which can signficantly improve performance in many games:
Hold down TAB and press either E (lower for more performance) or R (raise for less performance but more stability)
* NOTE * Underclocking may slow down some intensive games. If this is the case, just raise the clock speed all the way up. The "Sweet spot" for underclocking is supposedly 4868800 (4MHz)

If you would like the PSX to run on another distro, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Try to get it working first though, since you never know if it will work until you try.

Enjoy,
ZodTTD
http://www.zodttd.com for all your psx4all needs (as in downloads and support). :)

Thanks for the support! I can hardly wait to get back into Zaurus development again. :)

stuffman

• View Profile
    • http://www.dylanpowell.net/zaurus
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2006, 03:07:49 am »
Wowie! Seems like a great "teaser" release to me! The speedups seem pretty massive in some parts, but there is massive amounts of glitches and corruption in FF8. It seems like some sprites are being read from the wrong memory location or something. Still, it's a huge leap forward and will only get better from here. Keep up the great work!
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']SL-C860 Running pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1.
5GB Seagate ST-1 Microdrive from Rio Carbon, Asst. Other CF Cards.
512MB Sandisk SD.
AmbiCom WL1100C-CF WiFi Card.
Some GPS Card I Can't Remember...
Palm Tungsten Retractable Stylus (If You're Not Using These, You're Missing Out!).
[/font][/span]

Civil

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2006, 07:43:29 am »
zodttd
Great!
GTA runs almost fine (ah... 320x240 without zoom is small...), but with some screencorruptions sometimes.

P.S. on screen - GTA1. CPU: Standart, 416MHz, pdaXrom 1.1.0 Beta 4.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Zaurus C-3100 ( Gentoo 2007.0 eabi, kernel 2.6.21.6)
http://www.zavrik.info - Russian Zaurus Site.

zodttd

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2006, 01:57:08 pm »
Hi Civil!

Keep in mind that Beta4, while it does support overlays, does not seem to use SRAM for it's surfaces (think of BVDD). So things go slow, especially with X11's SDL driver.

So for best performance use the following if possible:
- pdaXrom Beta3 (2.4 kernel) which has BVDD by default
- SDL_1.2.9_armv5tel.ipk from the beta3 feeds which uses BVDD

For best quality of graphics use the following if possible:
- Exit X11 after overclocking and run from command prompt. When running outside of X11 it will run fullscreen.
- Run psx4zaurus with interlace set to 0. This will slow things down but give a nice picture.

Hope this helps make playing the games better.
Remember you need sstates directory in place to use save states.