Author Topic: 1.1.0r121 Is Out!  (Read 53453 times)

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2006, 05:15:36 pm »
Well he didnt create uboot... he decided to implement u-boot into his rom... U-boot fits in the same boat as Lilo... Syslinux... and Grub... just a variation of these..

And U-Boot *WILL* work with booting from alternate mediums... but it is just that no one that I know of... has configured uboot to boot from an external/internal cf... or SD... on a Z

Late
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146026\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

you are right. he didnt create it but made it work on the Z.
if only i had the skills to build uboot for the c3000....
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

adf

• View Profile
    • http://
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2006, 05:23:09 pm »
though back to some earlier questions....
It seems like it would make a lot more sense to  boot in maybe a distributed sort of way.  Maybe use the internal flash as a / partition and put /user and /home and /var on other media?  I admit some addiotnal mapping and driver info might have to be at the / but it seems like a kinda obvious solution.....
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

cycle_55

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2006, 07:21:29 pm »
Because it is the fastest means when it comes to speed...

SD and CF are slower...

Late
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

My next question then has to be why make us go to uboot if that is the case. Especially since most of us only boot up once and then just suspend. I'm obviously missing something here. I'm sure that most of us understand that we are not using a Zaurus because of it's lightening speed. I'm just curious and wouldn't mind seeing something on booting from other than the built in flash. Thanks.

cycle_55
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

if i remember correctly there was a post that sashz mentions that he broke his bootlloader and the only way to boot for him was to create an alternate bootloader, hence he created uboot and made all of you use it too
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146024\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It isn't that I have a big problem with how things are working at the present time, it just seems that the internal flash is small and at the present time I am having difficulty putting applications elsewhere. The 3100 has a harddrive which in reality I have never really used for anything except some limited storage. I have in the past loaded some applications to the harddrive but am having difficulty with r121. Thanks for the responses to my questions.

cycle_55
C3100,  1.1.0beta3, Rox, Ambicom WL100C-CF wireless , Buffalo ethernet

adf

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2006, 07:39:11 pm »

SD and CF are slower...

Late
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146005\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

My next question then has to be why make us go to uboot if that is the case. Especially since most of us only boot up once and then just suspend. I'm obviously missing something here. I'm sure that most of us understand that we are not using a Zaurus because of it's lightening speed. I'm just curious and wouldn't mind seeing something on booting from other than the built in flash. Thanks.

cycle_55
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

if i remember correctly there was a post that sashz mentions that he broke his bootlloader and the only way to boot for him was to create an alternate bootloader, hence he created uboot and made all of you use it too
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146024\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It isn't that I have a big problem with how things are working at the present time, it just seems that the internal flash is small and at the present time I am having difficulty putting applications elsewhere. The 3100 has a harddrive which in reality I have never really used for anything except some limited storage. I have in the past loaded some applications to the harddrive but am having difficulty with r121. Thanks for the responses to my questions.

cycle_55
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146037\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
If you are in the mood to see how running off the HD goes, give OZ a spin.  
My impression from my last run on OZ this summer was that for possibly psychological reasons i felt a need to do something with the internal flash, but that running the system off the internal hd worked pretty well. It was certainly quicker than I had expected it to be.

Anyway, as I said, it may be a personal neurosis, but I'd really like to see a sane partition scheme that uses the flah and the hd or the flash and *some* medium in combination (without ipkg-link weirdness) that made use of the speed of the internal flash, but didn't write to it much, and made use of the size and writeability of the hd (or size and comparative disposability of a flash card).
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

cycle_55

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2006, 08:39:09 pm »

SD and CF are slower...

Late

cycle_55

cycle_55
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146037\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
My impression from my last run on OZ this summer was that for possibly psychological reasons i felt a need to do something with the internal flash, but that running the system off the internal hd worked pretty well. It was certainly quicker than I had expected it to be.

Anyway, as I said, it may be a personal neurosis, but I'd really like to see a sane partition scheme that uses the flah and the hd or the flash and *some* medium in combination (without ipkg-link weirdness) that made use of the speed of the internal flash, but didn't write to it much, and made use of the size and writeability of the hd (or size and comparative disposability of a flash card).
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

you have said this alot better than I could have and I agree with you totally. My problem most of the time is that my knowledge of linux is just barely adequate to do what I need to do. I'll have a look at OZ and will let you know. Thanks.

cycle_55

cycle_55

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2006, 12:14:56 am »

SD and CF are slower...

Late

cycle_55

cycle_55

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146039\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Well isn't this interesting....installed OZ gpe and everything I plug into my Z now works without any fiddling and I'm booting off the microdrive. Still some minor difficulties with partitions 2 and 3 but so far so good. I hadn't tried any other rom except pdaxrom to this point. Thanks.

cycle_55

adf

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2006, 01:31:22 am »
welcome.

Any ideas on meaningful partition schemes??

harvell

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2006, 02:58:54 pm »
Does anybody try 4Gb SD with 1.1.0r121?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Just installed r121.  I noticed the automounter didn't connect to the 4Gb SD card however when I looked at

#dmesg

it noticed the mmcblk0

so I mounted it to /mnt/card and was successful.  

I did jump the gun though  .... As soon as I loaded the ROM I installed the SD > 1G IPK from cresho.  Needless to say it works great.  
C1000 w/...  Cacko Lite (When I use the Z alot for business)... pdaXrom (when I see something cool and want to try it.  Best way for me to learn shell commands)
Eee PC for Mrs. Harvell  
4G SD

Meanie

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2006, 03:10:15 pm »
Does anybody try 4Gb SD with 1.1.0r121?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144381\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Just installed r121.  I noticed the automounter didn't connect to the 4Gb SD card however when I looked at

#dmesg

it noticed the mmcblk0

so I mounted it to /mnt/card and was successful.  

I did jump the gun though  .... As soon as I loaded the ROM I installed the SD > 1G IPK from cresho.  Needless to say it works great.  
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146368\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

it had nothing to do with THAT driver since it is a kernel model fo 2.4.20
r121 uses 2.6.x kernel which has build in support for large sd cards.
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2006, 03:16:14 pm »
Just tried the zgcc.img from the r121 feed and got this upon mounting:
Code: [Select]
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0, missing codepage, or too many mounted file systems
Pass -t cramfs to mount doesn't help.
The older file in the Beta4 feed is working.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=144029\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

it seems to be a squashfs

I have a script doing :
Code: [Select]
losetup /dev/loop0 /home/root/zgcc-3.4.6.img
mount /dev/loop0 /opt/native/arm/3.4.6-xscale-softvfp -t squashfs

and I could compile the latest xarchiver natively.

Chero.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 03:16:40 pm by Chero »
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2006, 03:17:42 pm »
Any news or tests with bluetooth ?

Chero.
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

adf

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2006, 10:05:33 pm »
decided to try r121
 instructions are fine, etc.

1st problem:
accidentally tapped the screen during calibration--no recalibrate giu app?

how do I recalibrate (actually I am going to reflash, but this sort of thing maybe should be easy?)

xjqian

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2006, 10:37:22 pm »
quick question (may have been answered many time before, anyway...): what's preventing Tosa rom to advance beyond beta1?
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

Meanie

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2006, 10:39:52 pm »
decided to try r121

1st problem:

how do I recalibrate (actually I am going to reflash, but this sort of thing maybe should be easy?)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

there is a file called pointercal under /etc
remove it and next time you boot up, it will make you to recalibrate

adf

• View Profile
1.1.0r121 Is Out!
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2006, 10:52:37 pm »
decided to try r121

1st problem:

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

there is a file called pointercal under /etc
remove it and next time you boot up, it will make you to recalibrate
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146512\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
thanks... I was pretty sure there was something along those lines...but reflashing seemed quicker than poking around.

a side note....  you (I think) mentioned that we have uboot largely because sashz nuked his bootloader?  I seemed to have done something along those lines playing with swapd (latest) that I compiled on Beta3. It caused some weird hangups and then just shut me out of the Z...lost diagnostics after trying Zaurus test--no power light, just a blinking hd light if I tried D&M.  Uboot suddenly made life a whole lot easier