Author Topic: Hentges Rom: New Versioning System  (Read 411159 times)

CoreDump

• View Profile
    • http://www.hentges.net
Hentges Rom: New Versioning System
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2006, 08:07:07 pm »
You are hitting a bug which I thought already fixed....   Will have a look.

Actually you have uncovered a problem in OEs meta data in regards to udev making multi-machine updates pretty difficult if not impossible.

I'm working on it.
Webmaster of hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer.

hakujin

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2006, 12:37:44 am »
Ok I got past the medium mount bug by just copying the .opiestorage.cf file off my cf card and copying it to the root of my sd card and then renaming it to .opiestorage.card( I am not sure if renaming the file is necessary as I left a copy of .opiestorage.cf there too)using my card reader and then I rebooted. So I can boot the system now. I have a NAND back that I got off hentges.net when the first poodle 2.6 ROMS became available and I restored the NAND from the service menu (hold D,P and click reset) shoudl I be using this NAND backup with this ROM? And I after I flashed the latest ROM should I have done a format of the user data partition? I tried to do it from the Sharp menu but it just went throught and began to boot. What exactly is NAND(I dont' mean NAND as a word I mean NAND in the context of the Zaurus)? Is it the ROM memory where the root fs is stored on a stock Z? Sorry for all the questions but I haven't been able to find the answers to these on the forums.

Could you post the output of "mount" when that happens? Sounds like the auto-mounter is going nuts.

I can't issue the mount command because I am not at a shell at this point. I will try and clarify. When I reboot first I get the logo and then here is what I see:

Press anykey to launch altboot.........
Booting last selection [3]
Checking filesystem on /dev/mmcblk0p1
/dev/mmcblk0p1 is mounted

WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause SEVERE filesystem damage.

Do you really want to continue? (y/n) no        //(I always hit no)

check aborted
Mounting /media/card...ok

Note: No boot -images found in [/media/card/boot-images]      //There has to be a boot image some where on the card because I boot off it and have a crapload of space in my root when I goto sysinfo

...rootfs configuration...

This setup lets you reconfigure your new rootfs.
Most probably the rootfs is configured with defaults based on aflashinstallation.
If unsure, go with the defaults by pressing <ENTER>

Usually you /home directory is located on another flash partition.
Do you want to move /home inside the loop image? [N/y]     //Here I go with the default of No

Do you want to keep the SD, CF and /home ipkg install targets?[N/y]   //again I choose No /etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 822
: cannot create /media/card/etc/ipkg.conf_: Read-only file system
mv: overwrite '/media/card/etc/ipkg.conf'?    //here I type yes and then it continues booting into Opie. when I reboot I have to go through the whole Spiel again.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 12:38:19 am by hakujin »
Hentges 2.6 ROM with opie on pxa255 poodle
1GB Kingston SD card
4GB Seagate (photo camera) CF hard drive
SanDisk Connect Plus wifi card
USB cradle to laptop to ethernet bridge to Debian firewall/router/webserver
Wife threatening to leave me if I play around anymore with my Z

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2006, 09:34:16 am »
Ok I got past the medium mount bug by just copying the .opiestorage.cf file off my cf card and copying it to the root of my sd card and then renaming it to .opiestorage.card( I am not sure if renaming the file is necessary as I left a copy of .opiestorage.cf

.cf will work just fine on SD as well

there too)using my card reader and then I rebooted. So I can boot the system now. I have a NAND back that I got off hentges.net when the first poodle 2.6 ROMS became available and I restored the NAND from the service menu (hold D,P and click reset) shoudl I be using this NAND backup with this ROM? And I after I flashed the latest ROM should I have done a format of the user data partition? I tried to do it from the Sharp menu but it just went throught and began to boot. What exactly is NAND(I dont' mean NAND as a word I mean NAND in the context of the Zaurus)? Is it the ROM memory where the root fs is stored on a stock Z? Sorry for all the questions but I haven't been able to find the answers to these on the forums.

The onboard flash storage is called NAND flash on all Z's (yep, there's NOR flash as well    just not on a Zaurus AFAIK). A NAND restore restores kernel, root-partition and home-partitions and a few other things.

It will, however not touch the root-partition on SD in any way.

Could you post the output of "mount" when that happens? Sounds like the auto-mounter is going nuts.

I can't issue the mount command because I am not at a shell at this point. I will try and clarify. When I reboot first I get the logo and then here is what I see:

Press anykey to launch altboot.........
Booting last selection [3]
Checking filesystem on /dev/mmcblk0p1
/dev/mmcblk0p1 is mounted

WARNING!!! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause SEVERE filesystem damage.

Do you really want to continue? (y/n) no        //(I always hit no)

check aborted

Hit "yes" here. IIRC fsck remounts / read-only if you abort the check

Mounting /media/card...ok

Note: No boot -images found in [/media/card/boot-images]       //There has to be a boot image some where on the card because I boot off it and have a crapload of space in my root when I goto sysinfo

This is a message from altboot which shoul not show up at this point.

...rootfs configuration...

This setup lets you reconfigure your new rootfs.
Most probably the rootfs is configured with defaults based on aflashinstallation.
If unsure, go with the defaults by pressing <ENTER>

Usually you /home directory is located on another flash partition.
Do you want to move /home inside the loop image? [N/y]      //Here I go with the default of No

Do you want to keep the SD, CF and /home ipkg install targets?[N/y]  //again I choose No /etc/altboot-menu/15-bootSD: 822
: cannot create /media/card/etc/ipkg.conf_: Read-only file system
mv: overwrite '/media/card/etc/ipkg.conf'?    //here I type yes and then it continues booting into Opie. when I reboot I have to go through the whole Spiel again.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Do not try to boot from SD with altboot! These new images have a native root-on-SD so chose [1] for normal boot.

phisch

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2006, 09:46:50 am »
A new update is available (use the dist-upgrade command):

- fixed a bug with dist-upgrade on machines where CardFS is used (Courtesy elhennig@z-portal)
- Many improvements to dist-uprade, including support for a testing feed
- Fixed initial asound.state for Poodle (sound should now work out of the box / after a reboot on upgrades now)
- Added a few more work-arounds for this god damn Opie medium-mount bug

Upgrade worked fine, and now I have sound on my Poodle.  BUT ... every time a sound plays I get about 2 seconds of static afterwards.  I seem to recall seeing this problem on some forum post before but can't recall the solution.   Thanks for the hardwork Coredump!

UPDATE:  Fixed using Greg2's asound.state
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 09:58:02 am by phisch »
SL-5600
Watapon 1.6.1

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2006, 10:44:29 am »

- fixed a bug with dist-upgrade on machines where CardFS is used (Courtesy elhennig@z-portal)
- Many improvements to dist-uprade, including support for a testing feed
- Fixed initial asound.state for Poodle (sound should now work out of the box / after a reboot on upgrades now)
- Added a few more work-arounds for this god damn Opie medium-mount bug

Upgrade worked fine, and now I have sound on my Poodle.  BUT ... every time a sound plays I get about 2 seconds of static afterwards.  I seem to recall seeing this problem on some forum post before but can't recall the solution.   Thanks for the hardwork Coredump!

UPDATE:  Fixed using Greg2's asound.state
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146730\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Ahem, the problem has nothing to do w/ asound.state. The static goes away after a suspend/resume cycle and is back after a reboot.

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2006, 12:08:16 pm »

- fixed a problem with fsck on boot for Poodle (updated udev)
- altboot on Poodle no longer offers the "Boot from SD" option

All Users Please Note:
- Exit GPE or Opie before running dist-upgrade

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2006, 01:22:44 pm »

- Fix a wrong hutils.conf on all machines but collie after an upgrade
  (SL-Cxx00 users should no longer get cardfs prompts etc)

All Users Please Note:

samac

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2006, 01:40:02 pm »
Hi CoreDump

Is there a changelog anywhere?

If it is not too forward, might I suggest that you include a link to dist-upgrade instructions, and changelog in your notification post.

Whilst all experienced zaurus users will be able to figure out how to use dist-upgrade, people new on the scene may have difficulty finding the instructions.

The new update works fine.

Samac  
Zaurus SL5500
Hentges 1.0.x
64mb CF card
256mb SD card
Pocket-top Keyboard
Slackware 11.0 (2.6.17.13)

hakujin

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2006, 01:28:40 am »

All Users Please Note:
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
What happens if you dont exit Opie before running dist upgrade? i forgot to exit but it seemed to run fine. However I am having some strange issues and I am not sure if they are related. I am getting alot of spontaneous reboots. Especially while trying to get my GPS reciever working. Sometimes it just wont boot while the reciever is plugged into to the serial port. Sometimes if I boot it up into Opie and then plug in the GPS reciever it reboots soem times it stays on. If I start gpsd like this "gpsd /dev/ttyS0" gpsd starts fine but a "cat /dev/ttyS0" just spits out garbage and qpegps does not ever pick up a signal. I used this GPS on sharpROM with zroadmap and it worked fine. Also I can't control the volume from xmms-embedded the slider moves but the sound stays at the same level. It does change with alsamixer though. I don't have to do a user memory erase with this latest package right? doesn't the install write over it?
Hentges 2.6 ROM with opie on pxa255 poodle
1GB Kingston SD card
4GB Seagate (photo camera) CF hard drive
SanDisk Connect Plus wifi card
USB cradle to laptop to ethernet bridge to Debian firewall/router/webserver
Wife threatening to leave me if I play around anymore with my Z

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2006, 02:41:15 pm »
Hi CoreDump

Is there a changelog anywhere?

The complete changlog is always is the upgrade notification

If it is not too forward, might I suggest that you include a link to dist-upgrade instructions, and changelog in your notification post.

Whilst all experienced zaurus users will be able to figure out how to use dist-upgrade, people new on the scene may have difficulty finding the instructions.

Good idea! Want to write something up?

The new update works fine.

Samac 
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146849\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks for the feedback!

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2006, 02:47:09 pm »

All Users Please Note:
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=146845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
What happens if you dont exit Opie before running dist upgrade? i forgot to exit but it seemed to run fine.

Poodle usually dies a horrible death while it goes OOM. RAM aside, applications tend to hate it to be replaced / reinstalled while running (resulting in random freezes, crashes etc).

However I am having some strange issues and I am not sure if they are related. I am getting alot of spontaneous reboots.

Sounds like a hardware or driver problem

Especially while trying to get my GPS reciever working. Sometimes it just wont boot while the reciever is plugged into to the serial port. Sometimes if I boot it up into Opie and then plug in the GPS reciever it reboots soem times it stays on. If I start gpsd like this "gpsd /dev/ttyS0" gpsd starts fine but a "cat /dev/ttyS0" just spits out garbage and qpegps does not ever pick up a signal. I used this GPS on sharpROM with zroadmap and it worked fine.

No GPS here to test sorry.

Also I can't control the volume from xmms-embedded the slider moves but the sound stays at the same level.

It is unlikely that any Opie bugs will get fixed anytime soon :-(

It does change with alsamixer though. I don't have to do a user memory erase with this latest package right? doesn't the install write over it?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147027\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Neither the installation nor any upgrades will touch your /home partition (at this time).
In fact, the flash isn't touched at all (besides flashing the new kernel of course)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 02:47:45 pm by CoreDump »

samac

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2006, 03:49:38 pm »

I will look at it tomorrow or Saturday, too much football on the TV tonight.

Samac
Zaurus SL5500
Hentges 1.0.x
64mb CF card
256mb SD card
Pocket-top Keyboard
Slackware 11.0 (2.6.17.13)

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2006, 04:32:29 pm »

I will look at it tomorrow or Saturday, too much football on the TV tonight.

Samac
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147098\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Thanks  

hvontres

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2006, 08:57:06 pm »

All Users Please Note:
Also I can't control the volume from xmms-embedded the slider moves but the sound stays at the same level. It does change with alsamixer though.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147027\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

RP and lrg did create a fix for the volume control. The basic problem was that there was no main volume channel mapped. I did create a hack that works. I am not sure if the changes have been pushed yet or not.
[span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\']Henry von Tresckow[/span]
--------------------------------------
SL-5600, OZ 3.5.4.2 (Hentges), Kernel 2.6.17 :)
1gb Kingston SD (ext2), 5Gb Seagate ST1 (3.03 Fw, fat32)
256 MB Kingston SD (ext2),256MB Viking CF,32MB CF (vfat),
homebuilt GPS unit (Based on RFMD RF 8000)

EzerchE

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2006, 02:31:05 pm »
i want to install this rom to my poodles internal rom, is that possible and how? thanks