Author Topic: Hentges Rom: New Versioning System  (Read 414024 times)

CoreDump

• View Profile
    • http://www.hentges.net
Hentges Rom: New Versioning System
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2006, 02:46:13 pm »
i want to install this rom to my poodles internal rom, is that possible and how? thanks
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147181\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

It isn't. Poodle requires an SD card for installation.
Webmaster of hentges.net & Embedded Linux Developer.

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2006, 03:04:35 pm »
RP and lrg did create a fix for the volume control. The basic problem was that there was no main volume channel mapped. I did create a hack that works. I am not sure if the changes have been pushed yet or not.
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

<CoreDump|home> RP: Any updates on [a href=\"http://bugs.openembedded.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1553]http://bugs.openembedded.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1553[/url] ?
<koen> CoreDump|home: iirc that patch is in the latest ASoC
<koen> http://opensource.wolfsonmicro.com/~lg/asoc/

I'll update the asoc patch for 2.6.17 and have a look.

hakujin

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2006, 04:59:28 pm »
Especially while trying to get my GPS reciever working. Sometimes it just wont boot while the reciever is plugged into to the serial port. Sometimes if I boot it up into Opie and then plug in the GPS reciever it reboots soem times it stays on. If I start gpsd like this "gpsd /dev/ttyS0" gpsd starts fine but a "cat /dev/ttyS0" just spits out garbage and qpegps does not ever pick up a signal. I used this GPS on sharpROM with zroadmap and it worked fine.

No GPS here to test sorry.

Also I can't control the volume from xmms-embedded the slider moves but the sound stays at the same level.

It is unlikely that any Opie bugs will get fixed anytime soon :-(

It does change with alsamixer though. I don't have to do a user memory erase with this latest package right? doesn't the install write over it?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147027\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Neither the installation nor any upgrades will touch your /home partition (at this time).
In fact, the flash isn't touched at all (besides flashing the new kernel of course)
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147093\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I know you said that you don't have a GPS to test but I jusst wanted to ask this again as I am not sure if this should work like I think: if I cat /dev/ttyS0 with a GPS reciever hooked up to my serial port I should see the NMEA sentences output to stdout, provided baud rate and all is correct right?

Also, I just installed the new GPE rom (same version) because you said Opie is not being supported , however everytime it goes into suspend I can't wake it up and I have to reset. Is there something I can do about this? Thanks.
Hentges 2.6 ROM with opie on pxa255 poodle
1GB Kingston SD card
4GB Seagate (photo camera) CF hard drive
SanDisk Connect Plus wifi card
USB cradle to laptop to ethernet bridge to Debian firewall/router/webserver
Wife threatening to leave me if I play around anymore with my Z

koen

• View Profile
    • http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2006, 05:06:21 pm »
if I cat /dev/ttyS0 with a GPS reciever hooked up to my serial port I should see the NMEA sentences output to stdout, provided baud rate and all is correct right?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147229\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Only if your GPS is in NMEA mode. If it's suddenly using a binary protocol (garmin, sirf, etc) you needs either gpsd or switch it back to NMEA.
Forums are not bugtrackers!!! Smart questions
Ångström release team
iPAQ h2210, iPAQ h5550, iPAQ hx4700, Zaurus SL-C700, Nokia 770, all running some form of GPE
My blog

EzerchE

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2006, 08:07:23 am »
i need a 2nd sd card then... but for now i need gaim and firefox. can you give the ipk files of this softwares? i didnt install them to opie. its not work...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 08:07:46 am by EzerchE »

koen

• View Profile
    • http://dominion.thruhere.net/koen/cms/
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2006, 08:36:23 am »
i need a 2nd sd card then... but for now i need gaim and firefox. can you give the ipk files of this softwares? i didnt install them to opie. its not work...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147263\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

'ipk update ; ipkg install gaim firefox'
Forums are not bugtrackers!!! Smart questions
Ångström release team
iPAQ h2210, iPAQ h5550, iPAQ hx4700, Zaurus SL-C700, Nokia 770, all running some form of GPE
My blog

samac

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2006, 08:41:31 am »
QUOTE(samac @ Nov 23 2006, 10:49 PM)
If it is not too forward, might I suggest that you include a link to dist-upgrade instructions, and changelog in your notification post.

Whilst all experienced zaurus users will be able to figure out how to use dist-upgrade, people new on the scene may have difficulty finding the instructions.

Good idea! Want to write something up?

I will look at it tomorrow or Saturday, too much football on the TV tonight.

Samac

Thanks smile.gif
CoreDump

Is there a way that I can undo my last dist-upgrade.

I need to get a screen shot of the update stage of the dist-upgrade, the bit after press enter to continue.

Also have you an address that I can email the html file to. You can send it to:

steven dot mcintosh at blueyonder dot co dot uk

Thanks

samac
Zaurus SL5500
Hentges 1.0.x
64mb CF card
256mb SD card
Pocket-top Keyboard
Slackware 11.0 (2.6.17.13)

EzerchE

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2006, 09:00:59 am »
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147263\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147264\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

yes but not work. its askin for protocols i am installing msn protocol but it gives error an closing down. i tried too many times...

STrRedWolf

• View Profile
    • http://stalag99.net
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2006, 02:13:26 pm »
Okay, I'm sold on the Hentges ROM.  However... should I be switching my Collie to GPE?

I'm also considering buying an Akita (C1000) in a week's time.  GPE on that too?

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2006, 06:32:24 pm »

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147264\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

yes but not work. its askin for protocols i am installing msn protocol but it gives error an closing down. i tried too many times...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147267\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

At least gaim should come pre-installed on Hentges, Firefox is included in the spitz images.
Haven't used either in a long time tho.

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2006, 06:33:46 pm »
Okay, I'm sold on the Hentges ROM.  However... should I be switching my Collie to GPE?

I'm also considering buying an Akita (C1000) in a week's time.  GPE on that too?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I'm a fan of Opie on QVGA (ie: 320x240) machines. On VGA (ie: all clamshells) however, I do prefer GPE and its X11 goodness  

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2006, 06:40:18 pm »
CoreDump

Is there a way that I can undo my last dist-upgrade.

I need to get a screen shot of the update stage of the dist-upgrade, the bit after press enter to continue.

Not directly, no. You could try using the testing feed (dist-upgrade --type=testing) but that might b0rk your installation  

Also have you an address that I can email the html file to. You can send it to:

steven dot mcintosh at blueyonder dot co dot uk

Thanks

samac
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147266\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Mail is on its way.

hakujin

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2006, 12:08:44 am »
I have recently installed the Hentges GPE image and I am having some problems with it. I will post them here but is there a bugtracker I should post this to? Is there a page which I can read to see if anyone has had similar problems with this particular ROM and what solutions they might have come up with. I hate to waste your guys time asking repeat questions. I have read this entire topic. I am somewhat new to beta testing (although I do run Debian testing) so I apologize for the lack of knowledge/proper etiquette. The problems are listed below:

1) When I suspend GPE it just stops responding and the backlight never goes off. I have to reset to get it back up.

2) Some keys on my keyboard stop responding. ie caps lock and FN. A reboot will fix this.I can't use num lock at all.

3) Applet launchers on the panel disappear at random. A reboot doesn't fix this, I have to readd them to the panel.

4) If I minimize a window it is gone forever (or until the next reboot) and the associated application cannot be restarted.

5) xmms window does not fit on the screen and xmms will not play mp3s correctly, the sound is garbled.

6) xmms-embedded will not install. ipkg says it can't find the package.
Hentges 2.6 ROM with opie on pxa255 poodle
1GB Kingston SD card
4GB Seagate (photo camera) CF hard drive
SanDisk Connect Plus wifi card
USB cradle to laptop to ethernet bridge to Debian firewall/router/webserver
Wife threatening to leave me if I play around anymore with my Z

hvontres

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2006, 11:01:01 am »
5) xmms window does not fit on the screen and xmms will not play mp3s correctly, the sound is garbled.

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147305\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

xmms-embedded is an opie app... When I tried gpe a while back the lack of a good GUI media player for QVGA was one of the reasons I didn't get very far. I second CoreDump's assesment that for now, Opie is the better choice for collie and poodle.
[span style=\'font-size:10pt;line-height:100%\']Henry von Tresckow[/span]
--------------------------------------
SL-5600, OZ 3.5.4.2 (Hentges), Kernel 2.6.17 :)
1gb Kingston SD (ext2), 5Gb Seagate ST1 (3.03 Fw, fat32)
256 MB Kingston SD (ext2),256MB Viking CF,32MB CF (vfat),
homebuilt GPS unit (Based on RFMD RF 8000)

CoreDump

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2006, 12:08:16 pm »
I have recently installed the Hentges GPE image and I am having some problems with it. I will post them here but is there a bugtracker I should post this to? Is there a page which I can read to see if anyone has had similar problems with this particular ROM and what solutions they might have come up with. I hate to waste your guys time asking repeat questions. I have read this entire topic. I am somewhat new to beta testing (although I do run Debian testing) so I apologize for the lack of knowledge/proper etiquette. The problems are listed below:

1) When I suspend GPE it just stops responding and the backlight never goes off. I have to reset to get it back up.

GPE on Poodle is not very well tested since the machine is basically OOM right when it hits the login manager....Maybe your resume is b0rke due to low RAM? Tried adding some swap?

2) Some keys on my keyboard stop responding. ie caps lock and FN. A reboot will fix this.I can't use num lock at all.

Numlock doesn't work which is a driver problem. The GPE keymapping is far from complete (see lack of testing above) but at least in the VT all keys should work, did you try that?

3) Applet launchers on the panel disappear at random. A reboot doesn't fix this, I have to readd them to the panel.

I duno what could be causing it. Maybe the OOM killer is killing off these apps?

4) If I minimize a window it is gone forever (or until the next reboot) and the associated application cannot be restarted.

Minimized windows can be found the the Active Tasks folder in GPE

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=147305\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]