Author Topic: Will The Iphone Replace The Zaurus?  (Read 40213 times)

HoloVector

• View Profile
    • http://
Will The Iphone Replace The Zaurus?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 11:52:37 pm »
lets see......4 gigs of space......+music +video=they are on crack!!!!  so they expect me to buy online stuff and keep it in my phone?  haha!

I would be believe 1 terabyte but 4 gigs?  really....they think i'm stupid and totally insulting my intelligence.

It's like my levi's i been owning since I was in high school- They expect me to throw it away after use and buy a new one.  Guess again.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150609\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
No offence but, I'm not quite following you here.  Our 3200s only have 6 gigs of space built-in.  Are you insulted by Sharp, too?      

Yes, you can add more through the SD slot but, by the time the iPhone ships the highest capacity you will be able to buy will be a 2GB SD for your Z thanks to SDHC.  That gives you the exact same capacity as the high end iPhone.  I know some of us have 4GB SD cards but, those are no longer being manufactured since the SDHC cards were released and stocks of them will surely dry up before June.

I'm not counting the CF slot in my 3200 because it spends most of the time with a network card of some sort stuck in it.  And I believe that is how most people around here use their Zs as well.

Based on the pictures I saw the battery on the iPhone looks to be user replaceable unlike the iPods

Other than that to each his own.    

When I first saw the the 5000/5500 I had pretty much the same reaction as I did when I saw the iPhone today.  Which was, "Cool gadget! I can't to see the version they'll release that has all the features I want.  When that happens I will pick one up for sure."  In the Zs case, I needed, clamshell, VGA screen, USB host, multi-gigs of storage, WiFi for less than a grand.  Sharp
got almost all of that right except for the WiFi.  Apple needs to provide me with the same wish list and I'll pick one.  Although, I bet I have to give up on clamshell for the iPhone just like I gave up on WiFi for the Z.  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 12:00:32 am by HoloVector »
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 12:09:53 am »
I'll just say it once.

Let me know when you can just drag a file into that phone without it needing itunes or some other crap software and I would be very happy when that's available.

Other than that, it is total crap.

-----
on diff note....

Just the other day, I helped a buddy kick the ipod and went for the zen from creative(4-6 inch screen, 60gb hardisk).  Sure it needs software but all we do is drag and drop video, music, pictures and it comes with a cf slot for pictures with usable adaptors for etc. media cards- simple.

my cuzin ran into a mini-ipod, ituns crashed like hell on my bro's pc---was total crap.  The solution was to use winamp with plugin to make it run.  It is just awesome without that bloated software.  4 diff pc's running that itunes totally sucks.

I really preffer using terminal or dos to transfer files over to my unit.  Sometimes explorer or filebrowser without some company needing to put stupid software on my pc which causes tons of problems.

my nephews pc-  I showed him a few tricks avoiding itunes totally and now all his friends and himself included use winamp to transfer files into ipod video along with videos done in xillisoft.

So there you have it.  I love the product but the software is total pain in the butt!

phone looks gorgeous.  best phone in the block..i may buy one but i want to look at it first.  Believe me when i tell you ill be using it as a phone only.

can I run e17 on this?  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 12:12:10 am by Cresho »
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 12:17:32 am »
I think comparing the iPhone with the Zaurus is a bit like comparing apples with oranges.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150589\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Well put, and I agree.
Maybe we will find the iPhone to be fairly hackable telephone after it's been released, but the Zaurus is still in the PDA category... and sadly it is a dieing category.
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

BarryW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 01:45:54 am »
I'll just say it once.

Let me know when you can just drag a file into that phone without it needing itunes or some other crap software and I would be very happy when that's available.

Other than that, it is total crap.

-----
on diff note....

Just the other day, I helped a buddy kick the ipod and went for the zen from creative(4-6 inch screen, 60gb hardisk).  Sure it needs software but all we do is drag and drop video, music, pictures and it comes with a cf slot for pictures with usable adaptors for etc. media cards- simple.

my cuzin ran into a mini-ipod, ituns crashed like hell on my bro's pc---was total crap.  The solution was to use winamp with plugin to make it run.  It is just awesome without that bloated software.  4 diff pc's running that itunes totally sucks.

I really preffer using terminal or dos to transfer files over to my unit.  Sometimes explorer or filebrowser without some company needing to put stupid software on my pc which causes tons of problems.

my nephews pc-  I showed him a few tricks avoiding itunes totally and now all his friends and himself included use winamp to transfer files into ipod video along with videos done in xillisoft.

So there you have it.  I love the product but the software is total pain in the butt!

phone looks gorgeous.  best phone in the block..i may buy one but i want to look at it first.  Believe me when i tell you ill be using it as a phone only.

can I run e17 on this? 
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

You can barely run e17 on the Z.  

I drag and drop music on my iPod all the time.  Sure it uses iTunes, but I've never had a problem with it.  My wife and her assistant both use iTunes on their pc's, never have a problem with it.  I figure by the time I can get my hands on an iPhone, most of the bugs will have been worked out.  Though I may never get one if they stick with just cingular.  They aren't up here yet...
What's this button do??

C3100
Distro changes almost weekly...

C3200
Distro also changes almost weekly...  :)

Hardware hacks and stuff.

xjqian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 02:26:35 am »
does anybody have a detailed iphone specs?
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

Jon_J

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 02:30:55 am »
From this thread at 1src:
http://www.1src.com/forums/showpost.php?p=...94&postcount=26

Specs:

Screen size: 3.5 inches
Screen resolution: 320 by 480 at 160 ppi
Input method: Multi-touch
Operating system: OS X
Storage: 4GB or 8GB
GSM: Quad-band (MHz: 850, 900, 1800, 1900)
Wireless data: Wi-Fi (802.11b/g) + EDGE + Bluetooth 2.0
Camera: 2.0 megapixels
Battery

* Up to 5 hours Talk / Video / Browsing
* Up to 16 hours Audio playback

Dimensions: 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm
Weight: 4.8 ounces / 135 grams
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

xjqian

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 02:34:17 am »
Thanks, but those are already up there on Apple's website. I mean the specs of CPU, flash memory, etc that developers are interested.
My Blog | 6000L Tosa + sled | is: Angstrom | was: pdaXrom 1.1.0beta1 | was: stock 1.12 rom + no-ffpe fash kernel + X/Qt Debian |
CF GPS (FGPCFCD01) | USB "Prolific 2303" GPS (USB-UG-200) | Socket CF BT rev. H |  USB "Pegasus II" Ethernet (ADM8511) | PocketTop IR kbd | sip:527630@fwd.pulver.com
Todo: OESF wiki | stable VOIP app | usable GPS app |      Wishlist: VOIP + Bluetooth | GPS + Routing Calc

danboid

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 03:35:06 am »
This iphone, just like the Nokia N800, is another 'almost' but ultimately a failure in my eyes. If the Nokia N800 had been a clamshell with keyboard, internal HDD and proper USB host then that would've been a true successor to the c3x00 Z's. The iphones screen (res wise) and HD aren't big enough to make it a good video playback device and I'll bet it has all sorts of annoying DRM to stop you enjoying music properly on it.

On the other hand, the computing industries refusal to release a better clamshell device than the c3x00 helps protect my investment and bragging rights but it does make you wonder if the PDA market really is dead.

kahm:

I honestly think you should start listing the computers you DON'T own in your sig, it'll be shorter. Do you have an IT block in your house
Zaurus SL-C3000 w/ MD swapped for a Kingston 32GB Ultimate 266X CF running ALARM
Banana Pi running ALARM on a WD Scorpio SATA II HD
System76 Gazelle Pro i7 laptop w/ SAMSUNG 840 EVO SSD running Arch x64

How to install Arch on your C3x00 Zaurus https://github.com/danboid/ZALARM-install

Da_Blitz

• View Profile
    • http://www.pocketnix.org
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 08:37:57 am »
e17 on the iphone, not likly but i have heard roumors of the zune doing those sorts of tricks

i think i am at the point where i feel that the "common man" is holding me back in terms of technolagy. we have all this cool stuff that is too "complicated" for the users or so they say

as an entry level phone this thing is a real killer, no more no less. where this thing dosent compete is in the top end (i feel the same way about blackberries) however that wont stop somepeople from bragging that its a top end phone and the best on the market

to those people i say "is your phone loaded with an ftp server, webserver and a mobile torrent client and can do aoying things with bluetooth to other people " some people need these features some dont (btw the web and ftp servers are for moving files around on wlan, its my version of samba for wince)

on the other hand i am learning from apple, they did make some incredable UI choices and asthetic choices as well (keyboard pops up a notification above the top to show which button you pushed). after seeing this and the fund drive for the open source nvidia cards it really pushes me too finish off what i have been doing (even more so after my Z "incedent")
Personal Blog
Code
Twitter

Gemini Order: #95 (roughly)
Current Device: Samsung Chromebook Gen 3
Current Arm Devices Count: ~30
Looking to acquire: Cavium Thunder X2 Hardware

dhns

• View Profile
    • http://www.goldelico.com
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 08:55:02 am »
For me:

iPhone = iPod within the hood of a nice consumer Phone and creatively designed user interface + internet&mail access.

Zaurus = Minicomputer for your pocket with a multitude of communication options and accessories

-- hns
SL5500G, C860, C3100, WLAN, RTM8000, Powerbook G4, and others...
http://www.handheld-linux.com
http://www.quantum-step.com

adf

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 12:24:22 pm »
personally, I'm more interested in the neo.
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Cresho

• View Profile
    • http://home.earthlink.net/~cresho/
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 12:41:03 pm »
One main issue for use as a personal phone is battery life.  5 hours?  that is terrible.  at least 12 is perfect.  Not alot of phones can do this I agree but I expected more.  I was willing to gor for such a device but not for 5 hours talktime.
Zaurus C-3200 (internal 8gb seagate drive) with buuf icon theme, cacko 1.23 full,  and also Meanie's pdaxqtrom-Debian/Open Office
Zaurus SL-5500 Sharp Rom 3.13 with steel theme
pretec pocket pc wi fi
ambicom bt2000-cf bluetooth-made in taiwan
simpletech 1gb cf
pny 1gb sd
patriot 2gb
ocz or patriot 4gb sd(failed after 2 weeks)only on z
creative csw-5300 speakers in stereo
DigiLife DDV-1000 for video, Audio, Picture recording playable on the zaurus
Mustek DV4500-video recorder, pictures, voice record on sd for z

zaurusthemes.biz | ZaurusVideo | Zaurus Software

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 01:01:24 pm »
No offence but, I'm not quite following you here.  Our 3200s only have 6 gigs of space built-in.  Are you insulted by Sharp, too?      
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150614\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

given there are 20GB microdrives existing, I am surprised apple didn't use one... however I have  never found any way of actually buying one!

the latest JVC everio digi camcorders have 60GB options, if these are microdrives then I would love to have one in the Z!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 02:20:42 pm »
I personally don't like OSX or Apple, so pardon me if I'm being negative.

Capn Fish,

Have you used Apple products before?

What's wrong with OSX?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=150604\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

I find OSX hard to use, but that's probably just me not being used to it. I feel that they took perfectly good Unix and messed it up. The lack of a right mouse button is awkward too. I also don't like the bar at the top of the screen or the one at the bottom. I don't know what either one is called, but one seems to be a quick launch/taskbar and the other seems to be a standard launch bar.

I have used iPods, and I don't really like the scroll wheel. It kind of hurts my thumb after a while. Their desktop all-in-ones, whatever they're called, are pretty slick, but I don't like the white. It stands out too much, and I also like to be able to tinker inside my desktops easily.

Does that clear that up well enough?
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

nilch

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 02:38:32 pm »
The future will tell if the Apple iPhone will be a totally closed device with nobody other than Apple and Apple blessed co-developers will be able to develop apps for it  or others can also write apps for it using a freely (or easily) available SDK - which actually makes it an open device.

I doubt that 2nd option will ever happen.
So in essence you are locked down to what Apple provides and maybe a little hack here and there.
If that is indeed the case, then it really can't compare with the Zaurus. I mean how many Windows Smartphone phones have been loaded with Linux (OE) (widely) so far ?

Do we think we can just put a FTP server or VNC client on it and get going ? No way I think. Apple is going to lock it down well and good to its own walled garden of hardware and software (with MS Windows support of course thrown in). The only difference is that this time its a hardware company dictating what works and what does not instead of the ISP, which screwed us so far with Smartphone features disables and killed.

Hope I am proved wrong though.
But I have to give it to Apple for designing this beauty and I think it will move the ground from underneath many a phone designer and service provider in terms of changing the playing field.
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |