Author Topic: Pdaxii13 On Nand  (Read 102699 times)

Ragnorok

• View Profile
    • http://
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #285 on: May 24, 2007, 04:47:35 pm »
- I noticed this too, Raul, but since I switched to xfce4 I don't really care.  (grin)  That took a bit of tweaking to get to run, but now that it is, I must say I don't know why pdaXii13 doesn't ship with this as the default window manager.  It's nothing short of stunning.

- I do see, however, that KOPI never does trigger alarms unless it's loaded.  Is there something I can do to xfce4 to make it work without having to keep KOPI loaded all the time?  I thought there was something of that sort, but I haven't been able to locate it.

- Also, the neato-handy key mappings that Meanie did for openbox aren't in xfce4, and I haven't been able to determine where that's done.  Hints?  (childish grin)  In particular I like the "super" key, I haven't been able to find the grave symbol anywhere, and the "Fn-number" doesn't appear to perform a "function" key.

- Then I have all the bars set to autohide, but my pointer won't go to the very edge of the screen ... it's a few pixels shy.  I don't think that's an alignment issue because I can hit all the teeny tiny widgets on the screen just fine, and by tapping where one would expect to tap.  Is there any way to, say, map a key to unhide the taskbar, as if I tapped on it's couple of pixels while hidden?

- Lastly, I see pdaXii13 has QT configuration, implying that it will run QT applications.  How would one do that?  I have a handful of QT apps that I would really like to run on this if I could, and that would really be the cat's meow...

- Oh.  Since I started using xfce4, time is never lost.  Bonus!!

- Dang.  Always one more thing!!  There's a CF/SD manager that works with openbox, but I have to drop to the command line to manage them when xfce4.  Am I missing something with that?
| I shed a tear for the passing of Hiroshi; he served me well
| Zaurus zealot since Nov 2002, PDA user since Oct 1991
| Replaced Z with UMID BZ February 2010

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #286 on: May 24, 2007, 05:48:26 pm »
Isn't there a mount manager for XFCE? I thought I used one when I used it.
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

T3_slider

• View Profile
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #287 on: May 24, 2007, 06:10:49 pm »
Menu for choosing window manager is not working corectly. The only manager that works is openbox. After choosing IceWM i see a line: window manager changed to IceWM and it's still loading openbox. I installed the latest version with IceWm as "default".
I have no idea how to get this working since I don't use pdaXii13, but Meanie has mentioned manually using xselect to choose which window manager to boot. I have a beta3 setup and therefore don't have xselect by default, but you could try playing with that (or alternatively create a startice executable by copying startx and changing every mention of xinitrc to a .xinitrc.ice or something residing in your home [or any other] directory).

I must say I don't know why pdaXii13 doesn't ship with this as the default window manager. It's nothing short of stunning.
I love XFCE also, but it is pretty heavy and therefore slows things down a little. A lot of people want speed and therefore Meanie chose to include IceWM. That would be my guess.

- Also, the neato-handy key mappings that Meanie did for openbox aren't in xfce4, and I haven't been able to determine where that's done. Hints? (childish grin) In particular I like the "super" key, I haven't been able to find the grave symbol anywhere, and the "Fn-number" doesn't appear to perform a "function" key.
All of this nifty keymapping should be in /etc/X11/kb/akita.xmodmap or a similar .xmodmap file (or at least it is in my beta3 setup). To determine which file Meanie used look in the xinitrc file for either Matchbox or IceWM and see which file is loaded for the keymap settings (maybe ~/.xinitrc for Matchbox?). You should copy the whole xmodmap section and put it in your .xinitrc.xfce or whatever you use.

I have attached my .xinitrc for xfce4 in case you want to use it -- it is named xinitrc.xfce, so unless you have a file with that name you shouldn't need to back anything up. You will of course need to update your startxfce4 file to point to ~/xinitrc.xfce

Then I have all the bars set to autohide, but my pointer won't go to the very edge of the screen ... it's a few pixels shy. I don't think that's an alignment issue because I can hit all the teeny tiny widgets on the screen just fine, and by tapping where one would expect to tap. Is there any way to, say, map a key to unhide the taskbar, as if I tapped on it's couple of pixels while hidden?
Try dragging the pointer down at different parts of the screen (ie all along the bottom of the screen). I found I could only get the pointer low enough at one point on the screen (right in the middle for some reason), probably because of a calibration thing. I don't know of any commands to show the panel (I can get the menu to come up  with a keypress, but it does not unhide the panel).

Dang. Always one more thing!! There's a CF/SD manager that works with openbox, but I have to drop to the command line to manage them when xfce4. Am I missing something with that?
There is an SD/CF manager for XFCE in the form of a plugin somewhere (probably in one of Chero's feeds that aren't really feeds...?), but it doesn't work well for me. I find it easier to just use the command line (I always have a terminal open anyway).
Conics SL-C3200 running pdaXrom beta3 and XFCE with a Planex WiFi CF card.

Slackware rules!

Ragnorok

• View Profile
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2007, 08:55:23 pm »
Meanie has mentioned manually using xselect
- I looked at this script and manually duplicated what it does.  Nothing works except mbsession, though it doesn't seem to be picky about what window manager I load.  Since I seem to be forced to use matchbox the window manager also doesn't affect the UI.  (wry grin)
- Could you include your other manager launch files?  I'd like to do it manually by invoking a script, like I do for xfce4, but how to do that isn't immediately apparent from the scripts I've seen.  (shrug)

- I did discover that while xfce4 is super spiffy, it takes nearly 50% longer to launch applications with it than it does with matchbox, though mb takes nearly 10% more memory with nothing else running.  xfce4 also seems to take less memory to actually run applications as well, for some reason.  None-the-less I'm interested in trying all four session managers that are currently on the device to see which I prefer overall.

All of this nifty keymapping should be in /etc/X11/kb/akita.xmodmap
- I based my xinitrc.xfce on Meanie's xinitrc, so it reads the pdaXii13 preferences and does all the stuff he would do for a matchbox load.  I've done startxfce4 > xlog.txt and seen that it does in fact load the correct keymap file at some point, but it still doesn't seem to have a lot of the mapping contained there.  Any ideas?

- I haven't figured out how to log all messages from X to some file, either.  It won't redirect, but apparently there's an environment variable that tells it where to do that.  I haven't tried that to see, but it may shed light on what's happening with xfce4 if I can log its output.  It seems it's pretty chatty in background.

Try dragging the pointer down at different parts of the screen
- Bingo!  It's near the lower left corner about half an inch in for me.  Thanks for the suggestion!

There is an SD/CF manager for XFCE
- So far I've only found a mount manager, and it's pretty darned basic.  Just as easy to hit the command line like you do, rather than use that thing.  (shrug)  That's the least of my problems at this stage.

- I used xfce4 for nearly two weeks without a single problem with time, even though my xinitrc does the same time things that Meanie does for matchbox, since it's nearly the same script.  I went back to matchbox and less than a day later the time was off by 10 hrs and the day was off by nearly two weeks!  I've no clue what's up with that, but somehow it appears that matchbox is the culprit.  Weirdness!

- I really have to figure out if this thing runs Qt apps, and how to do it.  I have yet to find a todo manager with the functionality of StageOne, and I'm missing that pretty sorely at this point.  I also really want my Sokoban!!  (whimper)
| I shed a tear for the passing of Hiroshi; he served me well
| Zaurus zealot since Nov 2002, PDA user since Oct 1991
| Replaced Z with UMID BZ February 2010

T3_slider

• View Profile
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #289 on: June 02, 2007, 07:00:23 pm »
I don't have pdaXii13, so I don't personally have Meanie's keymap, but I did a little customization to get it to work very similarly (ie with the super key and the F1-F10 keys etc.). The only problem is that I can either get F1 and nothing else to work or F2-F10 and not F1 to work. Since F1 is normally just a help file, I chose to get everything but F1 to work with XFCE. I've attached my TWO keymap files (akita.xmodmap.new, which I have akita.xmodmap symlinked to, and userdefined.xmodmap, which I needed to get the F2-F10 keys working. I couldn't get them working with only akita.xmodmap for some reason -- it appears the keymapping in pdaXrom is a little screwy. If I only used akita.xmodmap, I could either get F1-F10 upon every press of just the number key or no F1-F10 at all -- ie I could only use F1-F10 if I never wanted to type any numbers. Maybe I'm incompetent, who knows.). Feel free to create a blend of Meanie's keymap files and these, or alternatively you could name these akita.xmodmap.xfce and userdefined.xmodmap.xfce and only load them in xinitrc.xfce (this may be your best option). You can just change every instance of akita.xmodmap and userdefined.xmodmap in my xinitrc.xfce file from my previous post to xmodmap.xfce and userdefined.xmodmap.xfce.

I've noticed that XFCE interprets Alt+4 as Alt+F4 (and likewise for all other Function keys), meaning I don't have to press Alt+Fn+4 (this may be a disadvantage if you actually need to type Alt+a number, but I don't think I've ever needed to do that).

With XFCE, the brightness/zoom key functionality must be added in manually. To do that, open the menu (ie right-click on the desktop or click the "Start"-like button), go to Settings, and select Window Manager Settings. Click on the Keyboard tab. Move the window up a little by holding Alt and dragging up (to allow you to see the bottom). You want to add some Command shortcuts. Double-click on an available menu item (or click it once and press enter). A dialog box will pop up. For decreasing the zoom, type in the command "xrandr -s 0". Then press OK. Another box will pop up. Press the Super key plus 1.

Repeat for zooming in, decreasing the brightness and increasing the brightness (All commands are outlined below):
Zoom in: "xrandr -s 0" -- Super + 1
Zoom out: "xrandr -s 1" -- Super + 2
Decrease brightness: "/sbin/setfl -" -- Super + 3
Increase brightness: "/sbin/setfl +" -- Super + 4

Could you include your other manager launch files? I'd like to do it manually by invoking a script, like I do for xfce4, but how to do that isn't immediately apparent from the scripts I've seen. (shrug)
Sure, I've attached my starticewm and xinit.ice scripts (starticewm is in /usr/local/bin and xinit.ice is in my home directory). I would recommend playing around with it though -- I only use IceWM occasionally and so it is not perfect. In fact, the brightness/zoom keys don't even work. Meanie has done some great customizations (or so I've heard), and so his .xinitrc for IceWM might be a better solution (provided you can find it). You can still use the starticewm script I have attached for Meanie's .xinitrc file, you would just have to change "xinit.icewm" to the name of Meanie's .xinitrc file (or rename Meanie's file to ~/xinit.icewm).

NOTE: rename all files to get rid of the .txt extension. Also, I renamed my userdefined.xmodmap file to userdefined.xmodmap.new to prevent any original userdefined.xmodmap file from being overwritten.
Conics SL-C3200 running pdaXrom beta3 and XFCE with a Planex WiFi CF card.

Slackware rules!

Meanie

• View Profile
    • http://www.users.on.net/~hluc/myZaurus/
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #290 on: June 03, 2007, 12:34:51 am »
latest 5.4.5 build has been uploaded. again, you can simply just reflash from scratch or use the  flash utility to upgrade...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)
http://members.iinet.net.au/~wyso/myZaurus - zBook3K

adf

• View Profile
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #291 on: June 03, 2007, 12:50:34 am »
latest 5.4.5 build has been uploaded. again, you can simply just reflash from scratch or use the  flash utility to upgrade...
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162458\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Impressive rate of progress.  I can barely keep up with the updates
..and i was just messing with usbdongle network stuff.... terrific timing.

Edit: the update worked very well. Probably most of you already knew that.  I'm suspicious of updates, and am always thrilled when one works right. Bravo!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 03:15:46 am by adf »
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

zedkatuf2

• View Profile
    • http://www.projectgalileo.org.uk
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #292 on: June 03, 2007, 06:42:20 pm »
latest 5.4.5 build has been uploaded. again, you can simply just reflash from scratch or use the  flash utility to upgrade...
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Do I use:

[a href=\"http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13/tmp/hdimage-custom.tgz]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13...mage-custom.tgz[/url]

OR

http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13...ii13-custom.tgz

..for the custom file for 5.4.5?
Zaurus SLC3200 (Terrier) [SOLD]
Hardware extras: 2Gb Viking SD card 4Gb Transcode MMC card 2Gb Kingston 50x CF card Symbol Socket Spectrum & Ambicom 1100C  WLAN cards Shirtpocket Bluetooth CF  & Sitecom USB cards Running Pdaxii13 using Meanie's Atika ROM & full-hd apps.

Meanie

• View Profile
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #293 on: June 03, 2007, 10:29:32 pm »
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Do I use:

[a href=\"http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13/tmp/hdimage-custom.tgz]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13...mage-custom.tgz[/url]

OR

http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/feed/pdaXii13...ii13-custom.tgz

..for the custom file for 5.4.5?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162510\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

hdimage-custom.tgz = user submitted custom hdimage
pdaXii13-custom.tgz = customisation files for pdaXii13 which can be used to upgrade

besides, there is no hdimage-custom.tgz since nobody submitted any custom image yet...
SL-C3000 - pdaXii13 build5.4.9 (based on pdaXrom beta3) / SL-C3100 - Sharp ROM 1.02 JP (heavily customised)
Netgear MA701 CF, SanDisk ConnectPlus CF, Socket Bluetooth CF, 4GB Kingston CF,  4GB pqi SD, 4GB ChoiceOnly SD, 2GB SanDisk SD USB Plus, 1GB SanDisk USB Plus, 1GB Transcend SD, 2GB SanDisk MicroSD with SD adaptor, Piel Frama Leather Case, GoldX 5-in-1 USB cable, USB hub, USB mouse, USB keyboard, USB ethernet, USB HDD, many other USB accessories...
(Zaurus SL-C3000 owner since March 14. 2005, Zaurus SL-C3100 owner since September 21. 2005)

zedkatuf2

• View Profile
    • http://www.projectgalileo.org.uk
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #294 on: June 04, 2007, 02:32:07 pm »
hdimage-custom.tgz = user submitted custom hdimage
pdaXii13-custom.tgz = customisation files for pdaXii13 which can be used to upgrade
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162519\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
[/quote]

ok, thanks - upgrade works a treat!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 02:32:59 pm by zedkatuf2 »
Zaurus SLC3200 (Terrier) [SOLD]
Hardware extras: 2Gb Viking SD card 4Gb Transcode MMC card 2Gb Kingston 50x CF card Symbol Socket Spectrum & Ambicom 1100C  WLAN cards Shirtpocket Bluetooth CF  & Sitecom USB cards Running Pdaxii13 using Meanie's Atika ROM & full-hd apps.

HoloVector

• View Profile
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #295 on: June 04, 2007, 04:07:36 pm »
Has anyone else seen these issues after running the pdaXii13-custom.tgz upgrade?

After I run the upgrade and choose icewm as my window manager; I find that both the matchbox cards and volume applets do not load.  

The glipper applet loads fine.  Also, the tasks applets briefly shows until I tap on it then it disappears.  

To get the cards and volume applets to load I have edit the .xinitrc in my home directory and add the following lines after the mb-applet-tasks & >/dev/null line in the icewm section

Code: [Select]
mb-applet-cards & >/dev/null
mb-applet-volume & >/dev/null

I have had this happen after my pdaXii13-custom.tgz upgrade to both 5.44 and 5.45.  My 3200 baseline before the first upgrade was 5.4 (the initial icewm release).

Any help or suggestions are welcomed.  Thanks.
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

adf

• View Profile
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #296 on: June 04, 2007, 05:12:59 pm »
nothing like that. My display width for new windows is narrowed after screen roatation in icewm. it comes back if I restart X

I did the 5.4.4 to 5.4.5 upgrade ....worked well, only thing I had to change was taht it put my icewm panel back at the bottom of the screen and turned off autohide (overwrote the config, i suppose). took a few seconds t change back.  try running the update again?  check the files you are using? stuff along those lines sounds like the best bet
**3100 Zubuntu Jaunty,(working on Cacko dualboot), 16G A-Data internal CF, 4G SD, Ambicom WL-1100C Cf, linksys usb ethernet,  BelkinF8T020 BT card, Belkin F8U1500-E Ir kbd, mini targus usb mouse, rechargeble AC/DC powered USB hub, psp cables and battery extenders.

**6000l  Tetsuized Sharprom, installed on internal flash only 1G sd, 2G cf

Meanie

• View Profile
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #297 on: June 04, 2007, 09:05:38 pm »
Has anyone else seen these issues after running the pdaXii13-custom.tgz upgrade?

After I run the upgrade and choose icewm as my window manager; I find that both the matchbox cards and volume applets do not load. 

The glipper applet loads fine.  Also, the tasks applets briefly shows until I tap on it then it disappears. 

To get the cards and volume applets to load I have edit the .xinitrc in my home directory and add the following lines after the mb-applet-tasks & >/dev/null line in the icewm section

I have had this happen after my pdaXii13-custom.tgz upgrade to both 5.44 and 5.45.  My 3200 baseline before the first upgrade was 5.4 (the initial icewm release).

Any help or suggestions are welcomed.  Thanks.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162545\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

you need to add the applets (one applet per line) into a file called icedock which should be located in either /etc/icewm or ~/.icewm

HoloVector

• View Profile
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #298 on: June 05, 2007, 02:53:13 pm »
Has anyone else seen these issues....

I have had this happen after my pdaXii13-custom.tgz upgrade to both 5.44 and 5.45.  My 3200 baseline before the first upgrade was 5.4 (the initial icewm release).

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162545\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

you need to add the applets (one applet per line) into a file called icedock which should be located in either /etc/icewm or ~/.icewm
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162566\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Thanks Meanie.  That must have been my problem since I didn't have file called icedock in either of those locations.  I used a the toolbar definition file as a template and saved it as icedock and added tasks, cards and volume to it.  I then removed them .xinitrc, restarted X and it worked like a charm.  All three of them load up in the dock and they stay loaded.  

EDIT:  I spoke too soon tasks is still unloading after I use it.  The rest is all good, though.  Cards and Volume are the ones I use the most anyway.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 02:58:03 pm by HoloVector »
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

Meanie

• View Profile
Pdaxii13 On Nand
« Reply #299 on: June 05, 2007, 08:24:24 pm »
Has anyone else seen these issues....

[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162566\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
Thanks Meanie.  That must have been my problem since I didn't have file called icedock in either of those locations.  I used a the toolbar definition file as a template and saved it as icedock and added tasks, cards and volume to it.  I then removed them .xinitrc, restarted X and it worked like a charm.  All three of them load up in the dock and they stay loaded.  

EDIT:  I spoke too soon tasks is still unloading after I use it.  The rest is all good, though.  Cards and Volume are the ones I use the most anyway.
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=162630\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

tasks kills itself automatically  that's by design since icewm already has its own task manager and virtual desktop support which is much more advanced. task applet is just used to run autoexec to load things automatically when icewm starts and then task applet is killed.
the task applet is used to keep things consistent across window managers, otherwise, icewem has a better mechanism which is to use the startup and shutdown scripts under /etc/icewm so you can even do things automatically before X shuts down...