Author Topic: Debian And Uboot  (Read 72718 times)

danr

• View Profile
    • http://
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #150 on: May 11, 2007, 06:27:17 am »
EDIT:
i got the touchscreen now!  
i got xfbdev and all its libraries from angstrom to get X to start
then i also get the tslib-calibrate, tslib-conf, tslib-test in the angstrom feed
export TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/event1
ts_calibrate
ts_test
wala~ the cursor moves, i'll install iceWM now
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Cool, that's exactly where I got to yesterday as well, by performing the same steps.  I've installed WindowMaker and it works quite well, so long as I use the preference utility to allow the menu to come up on the backdrop on a mouse button 1 event.  Does anyone know how to create the pdaXrom behaviour of simulating mouse button 2 and 3 events by pressing a key when tapping on the screen?

The other thing that I can't get to work is wireless connectivity.  My symbol card is detected correctly, and loads up the firmware I've installed.  It comes up as eth2 but I'm not sure that dhcpd is working correctly, as when I do "ifup eth2" the light on the card flashes rapidly but eventually it says "Failed to bring up eth2", and there's nothing in the route table.  My /etc/network/interfaces contains the line

Code: [Select]
iface eth2 inet dhcp.

Oh yeah, one other thing, does anyone know how to disable mrxvt from going into Greek keyboard mapping mode when pressing Fn?  Very annoying.
SL-C860 running Debian EABI on top of Angstrom 2.6 kernel

pkwong

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2007, 01:15:25 pm »
i think i use the same wifi card, becoz i enabled WEP in my router, so i
iwconfig eth2 essid XXXX key YYYYYY
and then
dhclient
to get the ip

danr

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2007, 05:06:38 pm »
dhclient
to get the ip
Brilliant - that did the trick.  Thanks.

ShiroiKuma

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2007, 06:03:22 pm »
I am wondering what is the benefit of running this armel debian over Angstrom?

This is not a condescending comment, I'm really interested what is the benefit that anyone perceives over just installing Angstrom and running it.

I have armel debian in a chroot too, but so far haven't run a single app there, since I've found no need. The biggest drawback that Angstrom has, i.e. not a working firefox, is not solved by armel, since it doesn't have ff either.

Other than that all the apps that I need to use are in Angstrom feeds already.

I know apt-get works on debian, but so what? Currently ipkg still installs everything on Angstrom, and the level of hacking to get armel working is even higher based on my experience, than in Angstrom. So why?
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']Das ganze tschechische Volk ist eine Simulantenbande.[/font][/span]
Militäroberarzt Bautze

danr

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2007, 05:00:48 am »
I am wondering what is the benefit of running this armel debian over Angstrom?

This is not a condescending comment, I'm really interested what is the benefit that anyone perceives over just installing Angstrom and running it.

I have armel debian in a chroot too, but so far haven't run a single app there, since I've found no need. The biggest drawback that Angstrom has, i.e. not a working firefox, is not solved by armel, since it doesn't have ff either.

Other than that all the apps that I need to use are in Angstrom feeds already.

I know apt-get works on debian, but so what? Currently ipkg still installs everything on Angstrom, and the level of hacking to get armel working is even higher based on my experience, than in Angstrom. So why?
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161105\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Well for me there are a number of advantages over Angstrom:

1) There is a lot of information on the Internet about how to configure Debian to get it working the way you want it to.
2) I find the ncurses-based package installed, aptitude, an intuitive tool to use.
3) The Debian feed contains more packages I'd like to install.
4) I'm not a fan of GPE, as it is more PDA-like than the desktop I'd like to install, e.g. WindowMaker.  I found it easier to configure Debian to install a non-GPE desktop than Angstrom.

It may be possible to configure Angstrom to do much of the above, but I had more confidence in a more mature platform being able to do this.

Having said all that, EABI Debian would not be possible without the hard work of the Angstrom developers, so I am grateful to them for their efforts.

There are also some disadvantages of Debian over Angstrom (or pdaXrom, which I used to use):

1) No light and power settings.
2) apm doesn't work on my SL-C860 (although this appears to be the case for all 2.6 kernels), so I have to use my old SL-5500 to recharge the battery.
3) I don't know how to configure X so that it can detect mouse buttons 2 and 3 by pressing a key with a screen tap, which pdaXrom could do.

There's probably more things that can go in both lists, but I hope this gives you an idea.

Dan

ZDevil

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2007, 05:18:45 am »
Great to see more positive results in the debian adventure!
Now I am more and more convinced that debian and openbsd are the way to go.
When we finally get these running stably enough on Z, i don't really see much point in building a Z-specific platform from the ground up.
IMHO the best way to keep the species alive is to run a standard/mainstream distro. Take a look at Jornada' Debian 720 degree. Also the rebirth of NEC MobilePro 900 is on the horizon.
So can someone give me some good reasons why we shouldn't concentrate our efforts on getting debian and openbsd running?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 05:34:21 am by ZDevil »

Life is too precious for hacking *too much*
Visit my Z screencap gallery[/color]
My EeePC 701 Black = Debian (Lenny) on IceRocks + Transcend SDHC Class6 8GB + 2GB RAM
My Zaurus SL-C3200 = Debian EABI (kernel 2.6.24.3-yonggun) on a swapped internal Sandisk Extreme III CF 16gb
My Debian EABI feed: http://matrixmen.free.fr/zaurus/debian/
My OpenBSD/Zaurus feeds:  Link1, Link2
[/i][/font][/color][/size]

scoutme

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2007, 07:41:14 am »
I absolutely need to installl debian on my 860. Can you write down a few steps?

danr

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #157 on: May 13, 2007, 04:40:19 am »
I absolutely need to installl debian on my 860. Can you write down a few steps?
[div align=\"right\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]

Well I just followed the steps in this thread, and mostly [a href=\"https://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23773&st=34#]here[/url].

I started with an Angstrom image, and then flashed an Angstrom kernel with the boot parameters set to SD card.  You can find this in the unstable branch, such as here.

On a reboot, the kernel will search for a filesystem on the SD card, which will start Debian.

The first issue is that the keymap is wrong for the '/' key, so it's very difficult to do anything.  I reflashed a kernel mounting the flash filesystem, then copied a keymap file over to the SD card, added this line to my /etc/profile on SD card:

loadkeys kemap.map
and flashed back to a "Debian kernel" (i.e. one mounting a filesystem on SD card).

Then start-stop-daemon is a dummy file in /sbin, so I renamed that to start-stop-daemon.fake, and linked it to start-stop-daemon.REAL.  I think this starts sshd properly.

You can mount the Angstrom flash filesystem by creating a directory /mnt/flash and typing

mount /dev/mtdblock2 /mnt/flash -t jffs2
You can even put a similar line in /etc/fstab to auto-mount it.

Getting X to work was more tricky, you have to copy Xfbdev across from Angstrom and rename it as X.  I don't know exactly what steps are required, as I experimented with both Angstrom and Debian xorg packages.  If anyone has more info on this, that would be useful.  But one vital step is to add the following to /etc/profile:

export TSLIB_TSDEVICE="/dev/input/event1"
to get Xfbdev to work correctly.  You may have to copy over the touchscreen calibrate binaries from Angstrom, or it may be possible to just copy over /etc/pointercal.

I'm fairly new to Debian, but found it fairly straightforward to do

apt-get updateto update the list of packages,

apt-get upgradeto update the system to the latest packages, and

aptitudefor an ncurses-version of apt-get, which also has a package search tool.

I've probably missed out some stuff, but you will find all the info in this thread.

HTH,

Dan

scoutme

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2007, 05:20:58 pm »
since I cannot crosscompile, can you post the SD-configured kernel for 860?
thanks

Chero

• View Profile
    • http://users.telenet.be/zaurususer/Chero
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2007, 01:52:31 am »
since I cannot crosscompile, can you post the SD-configured kernel for 860?
thanks
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161226\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
check the second "here" in the post above.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 01:52:45 am by Chero »
HP-95LX -> HP Jornada 680 -> SL-C860 -> SL-C3100 -> Fuji u810 -> SL-C1000 -> HTC uni -> SL-C860 -> SL-C760.
March 12 2009 : Back because the Zaurus is one of a kind.
SL-C760 : pdaXrom
Pandora pre-ordered -> received and tested : great device but not my cup of tea -> sold.

svs57

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2007, 06:36:31 am »
1) No light and power settings.
2) apm doesn't work on my SL-C860 (although this appears to be the case for all 2.6 kernels), so I have to use my old SL-5500 to recharge the battery.
3) I don't know how to configure X so that it can detect mouse buttons 2 and 3 by pressing a key with a screen tap, which pdaXrom could do.

There's probably more things that can go in both lists, but I hope this gives you an idea.

Dan
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161141\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
1) Light
I use xbindkeys to change light.
~/.xbindkeysrc
"/usr/local/bin/br.sh - 5"
c:12 + Mod2
"/usr/local/bin/br.sh + 5"
c:13 + Mod2
/usr/local/bin/br.sh
#!/bin/sh
HOME=/home/svs
act=`cat /sys/class/backlight/corgi-bl/actual_brightness`
max=`cat /sys/class/backlight/corgi-bl/max_brightness`
if [ $1 == "+" ]; then
new=$(($act+$2))
else
new=$(($act-$2))
fi
if [ $new -ge $max ]; then
new=$max
fi
if [ $new -le 1 ]; then
new=1
fi
echo  $new > /sys/class/backlight/corgi-bl/brightness
echo $new >$HOME/.br
fi

2) mouse buttons 2 and 3
I use xmonobut to set 2 & 3 buttons:
xmonobut -m 67 -k 68 &

pkwong

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2007, 07:36:39 am »
any hints to get sound working?
i added snd-soc-spitz to /etc/modules
and installed alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-oss
also used alsa out plugin in xmms
but no luck..

svs57

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2007, 09:07:57 am »
any hints to get sound working?
i added snd-soc-spitz to /etc/modules
and installed alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-oss
also used alsa out plugin in xmms
but no luck..
[div align=\"right\"][a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=161257\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a][/div]
try start alsamixer and do unmute

pkwong

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2007, 10:25:54 am »
i just tried to play a mp3 with mpg123
it works, but not in xmms

if i select "Spitz (hw:0,0)" in audio device, it outputs
alsa_setup(): Failed to open pcm device(hw:0,0) Device or resource busy

are there any special settings in xmms?

EDIT:
sometimes i also get with mpg123
it said "ALSA: underrun, at least 0ms" and the music can't play smoothly
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 12:00:35 pm by pkwong »

scoutme

• View Profile
Debian And Uboot
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2007, 10:01:35 pm »
there must be something wrong in the way I choosed the file to rename and use for the angstrom setup.

Can you tell me exactly what files should I need? At the moment my 860 simply stuck at "Warning: unable to open an initial console", after a quite regular boot process