Author Topic: Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200  (Read 9423 times)

ArchiMark

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1812
    • View Profile
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:32:32 am »
OK, guys, go easy on ol' ArchiMark as I just got my new 3200 yesterday after selling my previous one a year ago....so no Z use for a long time....

Anyway, remembered that I had bought an iRiver PMP USB Host Adapter Cable before and would like to try using it with my Linksys USB200M v2.1 'ethernet stick' and also a USB thumbdrive and maybe a USB WiFi stick...

The thought is if I can do that, then I free up my CF card slot for additional storage and don't need to swap with ethernet or wifi cards, etc....

As I just got Z yesterday, still have Sharp ROM on it, but figure that will change soon....pdaXii probably or Debian????

Anyway, what should I do to get this working???

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Jon_J

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1853
    • View Profile
    • http://
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 01:38:58 am »
Quote from: ArchiMark
OK, guys, go easy on ol' ArchiMark as I just got my new 3200 yesterday after selling my previous one a year ago....so no Z use for a long time....

Anyway, remembered that I had bought an iRiver PMP USB Host Adapter Cable before and would like to try using it with my Linksys USB200M v2.1 'ethernet stick' and also a USB thumbdrive and maybe a USB WiFi stick...

The thought is if I can do that, then I free up my CF card slot for additional storage and don't need to swap with ethernet or wifi cards, etc....

As I just got Z yesterday, still have Sharp ROM on it, but figure that will change soon....pdaXii probably or Debian????

Anyway, what should I do to get this working???

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Mark
The USB thumb drive should work as a mass storage device. I have one that accepts SD cards, and it mounts automatically in Cacko and pdaxii13.
I don't know about USB wifi, which ones work/dont work. But I've read many times that USB wifi on a Zaurus needs a powered hub because of the low voltage at the USB port. I guess the radio needs more power than other USB peripherals.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but the ethernet dongle needs a "driver" (or is "module" the correct term?) from a 2.6 kernel.
I have the same one. Linksys USB200M ver 2.1
Look at this post in pdaxrom forum.
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?s=&...st&p=174469

I have the Belkin - F5D5050 USB 1.1 10/100 Ethernet Adapter that works out of the box in pdaxii13.
it's in the second pic.
I got it from Radioshack.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:58:13 am by Jon_J »
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

ArchiMark

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1812
    • View Profile
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:41:51 am »
Quote from: Jon_J
The USB thumb drive should work as a mass storage device. I have one that accepts SD cards, and it mounts automatically in Cacko and pdaxii13.
I don't know about USB wifi, which ones work/dont work. But I've read many times that USB wifi on a Zaurus needs a powered hub because of the low voltage at the USB port. I guess the radio needs more power than other USB peripherals.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, but the ethernet dongle needs a "driver" (or is "module" the correct term?) from a 2.6 kernel.
I have the same one. Linksys USB200M ver 2.1
Look at this post in pdaxrom forum.
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?s=&...st&p=174469

I have the Belkin - F5D5050 USB 1.1 10/100 Ethernet Adapter that works out of the box in pdaxii13.
it's in the second pic.
I got it from Radioshack.


Thanks for the info and pics, Jon_J !

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Capn_Fish

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2342
    • View Profile
    • http://
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:27:22 pm »
I have 2 generic USB to ethernet adapters that use the DM9601 driver, neither of which works (dhcpcd times out).
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

pelrun

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 366
    • View Profile
    • http://
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 07:52:51 pm »
I find with my dm9601 under 2.6 that whenever I plug it in I need to do a "ifconfig eth0 down; ifconfig eth0 up" before it will bring the link up properly...
SL-C3100 with usb power mod running debian eabi
pdaXii13 still on the NAND for dualbooting
16GB SDHC! (a new one, after I sat on the old one and it went kaput)
D-Link 660 wifi, Socket Bluetooth rev H
External 9800mAh LiIon battery and slimline dvd drive
Homebrew microphone and remote

speculatrix

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3703
    • View Profile
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:21:43 pm »
I think the chipsets to look for are the zydas and ralink ones. The key is to find those which use the least power!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

ArchiMark

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1812
    • View Profile
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »
UPDATE

Today I got one of the Belkin - F5D5050 USB 1.1 10/100 Ethernet Adapter like Jon_J has in post above....

However, so far no go....

Adapter doesn't light up at all....seems like I have a insufficient power issue...

Heres' what I see in 'dmesg' regarding usb:

Code: [Select]
usb usb1:  root hub lost power or was reset
restarting tasks....done.
usb 1-2:  new full speed USB device using pxa27x-ohci and address 2
usb 1-2: rejected 1 configuration due to insufficient available bus power
usb 1-2: no configuration chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-2: usb disconnected, address 2
usb 1-2:  new full speed USB device using pxa27x-ohci and address 3
usb 1-2: rejected 1 configuration due to insufficient available bus power
usb 1-2: no configuration chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-2: usb disconnected, address 2


I know that Jon_J got it working in pdaXii13....

However, I'm running Debian EABI right now on my 3200....

Anyway to deal with this issue and get this working???

Thanks!
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Jon_J

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1853
    • View Profile
    • http://
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 12:10:22 am »
I don't know if this will help.
I know somewhere on these forums, probably in more than one place, there is mention of the 2.6 kernel setups playing a stricter role of monitoring USB power at the USB port. This was mentioned quite some time ago in Open Zaurus, and some people were having trouble with USB dongles that just worked in the older 2.4 kernel.
I just hooked up my Belkin - F5D5050 USB 1.1 10/100 Ethernet Adapter to my router and my C3200.
In pdaxii13, I need to open the "Lan and WiFi" app and make the connection.
I'm online with it now.
Below is dmesg output from the first usb entry.
Note: Look at the last 3 or 4 lines. This is where my dongle actually shows as being used.
Code: [Select]
usbh: monitor_int_hndlr:
usbh: monitor_bh:
usbh: udc_connected: ACTIVE_LOW: 1<7>usbh: monitor_connected: 1
usbh: monitor_load: 4
usbh: monitor_hotplug: agent: usbh interface: monitor action: load
usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-ohci.c: USB OHCI at membase 0xfe000000, IRQ 3
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
usb.c: kmalloc IF c203cec0, numif 1
usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
usb.c: USB device number 1 default language ID 0x0
Product: USB OHCI Root Hub
SerialNumber: fe000000
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
hub.c: standalone hub
hub.c: ganged power switching
hub.c: individual port over-current protection
hub.c: Port indicators are not supported
hub.c: power on to power good time: 8ms
hub.c: hub controller current requirement: 0mA
hub.c: port removable status: RR
hub.c: local power source is good
hub.c: no over-current condition exists
hub.c: enabling power on all ports
usb.c: hub driver claimed interface c203cec0
usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 1
hub.c: port 1, portstatus 100, change 0, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: port 2, portstatus 101, change 1, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: port 2 connection change
hub.c: port 2, portstatus 101, change 1, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: port 2, portstatus 101, change 0, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: port 2, portstatus 101, change 0, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: port 2, portstatus 101, change 0, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: port 2, portstatus 101, change 0, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: port 2, portstatus 103, change 10, 12 Mb/s
hub.c: new USB device -2, assigned address 2
usb.c: kmalloc IF c203c860, numif 1
usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb.c: USB device number 2 default language ID 0x409
Manufacturer: ADMtek
Product: USB To LAN Converter
SerialNumber: 0001
usb.c: unhandled interfaces on device
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x50d/0x121) is not claimed by any active driver.
  Length              = 18
  DescriptorType      = 01
  USB version         = 1.10
  Vendor:Product      = 050d:0121
  MaxPacketSize0      = 8
  NumConfigurations   = 1
  Device version      = 1.01
  Device Class:SubClass:Protocol = 00:00:00
    Per-interface classes
Configuration:
  bLength             =    9
  bDescriptorType     =   02
  wTotalLength        = 0027
  bNumInterfaces      =   01
  bConfigurationValue =   01
  iConfiguration      =   00
  bmAttributes        =   a0
  MaxPower            =  160mA

  Interface: 0
  Alternate Setting:  0
    bLength             =    9
    bDescriptorType     =   04
    bInterfaceNumber    =   00
    bAlternateSetting   =   00
    bNumEndpoints       =   03
    bInterface Class:SubClass:Protocol =   00:00:00
    iInterface          =   00
    Endpoint:
      bLength             =    7
      bDescriptorType     =   05
      bEndpointAddress    =   81 (in)
      bmAttributes        =   02 (Bulk)
      wMaxPacketSize      = 0040
      bInterval           =   00
    Endpoint:
      bLength             =    7
      bDescriptorType     =   05
      bEndpointAddress    =   02 (out)
      bmAttributes        =   02 (Bulk)
      wMaxPacketSize      = 0040
      bInterval           =   00
    Endpoint:
      bLength             =    7
      bDescriptorType     =   05
      bEndpointAddress    =   83 (in)
      bmAttributes        =   03 (Interrupt)
      wMaxPacketSize      = 0008
      bInterval           =   80
usb.c: kusbd: /sbin/hotplug add 2
pegasus.c: v0.4.32 (2003/06/06):Pegasus/Pegasus II USB Ethernet driver
usb.c: registered new driver pegasus
pegasus.c: eth0: Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet
pegasus.c: setup Pegasus II specific registers
usb.c: pegasus driver claimed interface c203c860
root-:)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 12:51:28 am by Jon_J »
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

BarryW

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 690
    • View Profile
    • http://
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 11:07:52 am »
I have a linksys usb100m wired network adapter that works with pdax.  No extra hubs either.
What's this button do??

C3100
Distro changes almost weekly...

C3200
Distro also changes almost weekly...  :)

Hardware hacks and stuff.

ArchiMark

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1812
    • View Profile
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:42:03 am »
Quote from: Jon_J
I don't know if this will help.
I know somewhere on these forums, probably in more than one place, there is mention of the 2.6 kernel setups playing a stricter role of monitoring USB power at the USB port. This was mentioned quite some time ago in Open Zaurus, and some people were having trouble with USB dongles that just worked in the older 2.4 kernel.
I just hooked up my Belkin - F5D5050 USB 1.1 10/100 Ethernet Adapter to my router and my C3200.
In pdaxii13, I need to open the "Lan and WiFi" app and make the connection.
I'm online with it now.
Below is dmesg output from the first usb entry.
Note: Look at the last 3 or 4 lines. This is where my dongle actually shows as being used.

[snip]

Thanks for the input, Jon_J!

Just to clarify are you using any kind of AC powered USB hub with this or is your Belkin adapter connected to your ethernet cable on the one end and on the other end it's connected to a USB cable that's connected directly to your Z?

Thanks,

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

ArchiMark

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1812
    • View Profile
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 11:44:50 am »
Quote from: BarryW
I have a linksys usb100m wired network adapter that works with pdax.  No extra hubs either.

Thanks, BarryW, I have a Linksys USB200M ver 2.1 like Jon_J, but thought that it wouldn't work according to his earlier post... but since I'm running Debian EABI, I will have to try it....
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Jon_J

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1853
    • View Profile
    • http://
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 01:08:48 pm »
ArchiMark, regarding your question as how I hooked up my Belkin adapter.
I am NOT using any additional power, (such as through a powered hub).
It is hooked directly to my C3200 using just the host cable, and the other end is hooked to a cat5 cable to my router.

The Linksys USB200M ver 2.1 does have 2.6 kernel drivers. I may have them somewhere., but I'm not sure if they are the right ones.

I haven't ever used a 2.6 kernel distro on either of my Zauri, so that is why I lack knowledge of kernel 2.6 stuff.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 01:10:13 pm by Jon_J »
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers

ArchiMark

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1812
    • View Profile
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 01:57:39 pm »
Quote from: Jon_J
ArchiMark, regarding your question as how I hooked up my Belkin adapter.
I am NOT using any additional power, (such as through a powered hub).
It is hooked directly to my C3200 using just the host cable, and the other end is hooked to a cat5 cable to my router.

The Linksys USB200M ver 2.1 does have 2.6 kernel drivers. I may have them somewhere., but I'm not sure if they are the right ones.

I haven't ever used a 2.6 kernel distro on either of my Zauri, so that is why I lack knowledge of kernel 2.6 stuff.


Thanks, Jon_J.....

 
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

ArchiMark

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1812
    • View Profile
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 04:59:23 pm »
[size=] I've Got USB Ethernet!!![/size]

Decided to give my Linksys USB Ethernet stick one more try, but using it plugged into my HP mini-USB hub that I have an AC adaptor for it.

Well, as soon as I powered up hub, the 10/100 light on Linksys started blinking and saw in console on Z that it was recognized and working!

Did 'dhclient eth4' and voila! Connected to net.....

Just tested it out using 'apt-get' and it works!!!

So, at least for those using Debian EABI, the Linksys USB Ethernet will work, no additional driver or module needed....

 
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Jon_J

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1853
    • View Profile
    • http://
Usb Ethernet/wifi/thumbdrives With C3200
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 05:21:25 pm »
I'm glad you got it working ArchiMark!

I just tried my powered USB hub, but it's a no go in 2.4.20 kernel.
I didn't drop to the console, but the LAN GUI shows only "lo" and I usually get eth0 when there is a connection.
I'm not worried about it though, there's plenty of other options available.
Here's a screenshot, it shows USB 2.0 Network Adapter ver.2
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:47:21 pm by Jon_J »
C3100 Multiboot-->Angstrom 2007.12-r18 | Cacko 1.23 | ArchLinuxARM
C3200 pdaxii13v2-5.5-alpha4 Akita on NAND

Ambicom WL1100C-CF Wifi - Ambicom CF modem - Ambicom CF GPS - Belkin-F5D5050 USB LAN
Socket CF Bluetooth rev K - Iogear 4 port USB micro hub - pocket CF card reader
Targus mini USB optical mouse - 2 Targus SD card readers