Author Topic: Archlinuxarm On C3x00  (Read 92588 times)

teh.sean

• View Profile
    • http://
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #315 on: November 01, 2015, 08:33:02 pm »
Quote from: TheWalt
Started working on this today and of course show stopper before I even got started.

For some reason recovery flash can't see my SD card, but it mounts in BSD just fine on the Z (and also on the linux machine I copied files from), so I can't get kexecboot going *sigh*

Been long enough I don't remember but was there some size limit with the Z?  It's only 2gb sandisk ... its a micro in a SD adapter, maybe that is the problem?

I had the same issue with mine. I used a 1gb standard SD and a 2gb micro SD card. Neither worked. Had to flash recovery from CF instead. OBSD and ALARM have no problem with the card. *shrug*

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #316 on: November 01, 2015, 09:01:18 pm »
Quote from: danboid
If you'd followed my install guide step-by-step then you would've already copied the rootfs tarball (in its unextracted form) onto your SD card but I presume thats not the case here.

Think I must have deleted the file at some point as the 2GB card was almost full..... will make a new backup SD card on a larger capacity card.....

Think it would be good if you mention in your instructions page that card should be larger than 2GB to allow for keeping various package files on it.

The bit of terminal output you pasted showed you trying to download the tarball but where to, direct to the SD card? It says it cannot write to the current device so either:

* You didn't run the command as root
* There isn't enough space on your SD card or
* Your SD card is write protected

One of those was most likely tripping you up.

Yep, you're right, not enough room on the SD card as noted above.....had to delete a bunch of other package files to free up space to be able to put the rootfs file back on the card....

I wonder if daal will return now the rugby is over (and they won, again, of course)?

OK, that explains it......

EDIT

If you do end up doing a re-install / upgrade Mark it would be useful for us if you tried out systemd 226-3. You may be better off with that than running 226-2 and you may not need the IgnorePkg?

OK, will do......

Reinstalling Arch now......

Quote from: teh.sean
Hey gang. I gave this a go today.

I ran into some issues with the KEXECBOOT updater not working on my Zaurus. I wound up having to do a complete NAND restore to factory settings to be able to install KEXECBOOT. The SD / CF updater would always fail.

After doing that, I was able to at least install KEXECBOOT and boot into ALARM on my CF card.

I then attempted to replace the internal 4GB microdrive with a 64GB microSD card housed in a Type 2 CF to MicroSD card adapter. I had planned on setting up the internal drive from the CF install of ALARM but to my surprise ALARM would not boot properly after putting in the new internal drive. I suspect that KEXECBOOT (or the NAND app) writes some data to the partitions on the Microdrive normally.

So I took out the internal CF / MicroSD card and partitioned it so that the two Sharp original partitions and files (.SYS directory) were on the new card.

I had planned on reinstalling from scratch (reinstall KEXECBOOT, etc) but even after the new partitioning of the SD / CF adapter, the KEXECBOOT install script tells me the microdrive is not found. Suxxor.

I'll continue with it some time next week. I don't know much about Arch Linux (avid OpenBSD user) so I'll have to learn the ecosystem. It's different enough for me to not know how to do a majority of the stuff I'd like to.

Glad you finally gave it a go, but sorry to hear of your issues.....

Regarding your 64GB card issue......wondering if either

a.  Issue with system recognizing such a large card

or

b. Issue with system dealing with an adapter with card in it?

Arch is definitely different than using OBSD.....but with your background in it plus the info and resources here and on Arch Wiki pages, I'm sure you'll make the transition pretty quickly......

Keep us posted.....
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #317 on: November 02, 2015, 12:41:57 am »
Got Arch reinstalled on Zaurus 32GB CF card internal drive....

Did pacman -Syu and it installed systemd-3.2 and it works OK....

Have reinstalled most of the programs I needed....

So, for the moment all is good....

Still would like to get X working though....

Started a separate thread for it, but no one has posted.....

I know some of you are not that interested in having it.....

But for a few apps it would be good to have the option....
MacBookPro

danboid

• View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #318 on: November 02, 2015, 06:12:53 am »
Good to hear you've decided to give ALARM a go teh.sean!

As Mark has already said, we don't know if the Z can handle cards larger than 32GB and it doesn't help that you're using an adapter. I've not had good experiences with SD card adapters so that doesn't bode well for CF to SD adapters in my eyes.

I'd rather leave my install guide recommending at least a 1GB card. Note that I say at least, not "it must be a 1GB card card". This lowers the barriers to entry a little bit and I didn't intend for people to use the install card for anything other than preparing the internal drive, extracting the rootfs and for performing recovery operations.

I will cetainly contribute to the X thread when I have something useful to add but thats a bit of an afterthought to me. I mainly just want to get wifi working so I can use SSH in more locations and situations and I want to get directfb working so that MAME runs better and we can run Quake.

Don't worry - daal is still alive but he's too busy to dedicate any time to the Z right now. I've just been talking to him in #ALARMZ. He has given me some tips on using directfb on the Z and says he will return to the forum next week with any luck.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 06:15:06 am by danboid »
Zaurus SL-C3000 w/ MD swapped for a Kingston 32GB Ultimate 266X CF running ALARM
Banana Pi running ALARM on a WD Scorpio SATA II HD
System76 Gazelle Pro i7 laptop w/ SAMSUNG 840 EVO SSD running Arch x64

How to install Arch on your C3x00 Zaurus https://github.com/danboid/ZALARM-install

danboid

• View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #319 on: November 02, 2015, 09:21:59 am »
I'm surprised its took me so long to check but it seems acpi is broken or the required kernel module isn't being loaded or isn't included as a kernel module so I don't know of any way to check the battery status. `acpi -b` and `acpi -i` both say:

Code: [Select]
No support for device type: power_supply
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:23:17 am by danboid »
Zaurus SL-C3000 w/ MD swapped for a Kingston 32GB Ultimate 266X CF running ALARM

How to install Arch on your C3x00 Zaurus https://github.com/danboid/ZALARM-install

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #320 on: November 02, 2015, 09:28:29 am »
Good to hear you've decided to give ALARM a go teh.sean!

As Mark has already said, we don't know if the Z can handle cards larger than 32GB and it doesn't help that you're using an adapter. I've not had good experiences with SD card adapters so that doesn't bode well for CF to SD adapters in my eyes.

I'd rather leave my install guide recommending at least a 1GB card. Note that I say at least, not "it must be a 1GB card card". This lowers the barriers to entry a little bit and I didn't intend for people to use the install card for anything other than preparing the internal drive, extracting the rootfs and for performing recovery operations.

I will cetainly contribute to the X thread when I have something useful to add but thats a bit of an afterthought to me. I mainly just want to get wifi working so I can use SSH in more locations and situations and I want to get directfb working so that MAME runs better and we can run Quake.

Don't worry - daal is still alive but he's too busy to dedicate any time to the Z right now. I've just been talking to him in #ALARMZ. He has given me some tips on using directfb on the Z and says he will return to the forum next week with any luck.

Understand about 1GB card as a minimum size......just think it good to point out that having a 4GB card or larger, will allow one ot have an Arch install on it plus a rootfs and a few other files that someone may want to have to save time if those files are needed. My 2GB card is virtually full with the rootfs and a few other files....plus a few apps installed...

Glad to hear that you would be willing to assist with X at some point....

[EDIT] The key thing I think is to first get X to rotate the display (tried with xrandr command but no change when I did it.....). At least then you can start to use it....then build from there....does that make sense?

And good that daal is still alive and hopefully well......and providing input...

I'm surprised its took me so long to check but it seems acpi is broken or the required kernel module isn't being loaded or isn't included as a kernel module so I don't know of any way to check the battery status. `acpi -b` and `acpi -i` both say:

Will be great if this gets working sometime.....
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:22:09 am by ArchiMark »
MacBookPro

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #321 on: November 04, 2015, 03:06:53 am »

Hi,

charging is broken on the Z. I guess  acpi is part of that issue. The current kernel does not offer a ACPI as an option for the PXA27x platform
Your Z still charges, but slow. I have not found a solution to this yet.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 03:49:17 am by daalnroti »
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #322 on: November 04, 2015, 03:29:12 am »
Hi all,

just to let you know. The systemd issue is resolved. ALARM repositories changed the systemd version already (downgrade)

It is safe to do a "pacman -Syu" at the moment.

Good Luck

Cheers!
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

danboid

• View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #323 on: November 04, 2015, 07:38:04 am »
daal:

In that case I think you should update the OP and maybe the github notes for the kernel to note that we have no way to check the battery status.

It is a shame about the current kernels lack of ACPI for PXA270 but that seems to be about the only thing thats not working under ALARMZ. In every other way its light years ahead of every other distro and OS I've tried for the C3000.

Did you see my post about the C1000? I presume your kernel should work for C1000 users too right?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:40:32 am by danboid »

danboid

• View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #324 on: November 07, 2015, 10:24:39 pm »
WIFI UPDATE

Back in post #179 on p12 of this thread, daal suggested it might be worth me trying to get a PLANEX GW-CF54G wifi if I wanted 802.11g as they are supposed to work with the Z. I looked into those cards and it turns out they use the same Libertas chipset as used in my SparkLAN WCFM-100.

A bit of searching uncovered this page:

http://nokamoto.blogspot.co.uk/2008/01/zau...x-gw-cf54g.html

Which claims my wifi chipset should work under "Debian" (which version they didn't say) with the Yonggun kernel with the firmware they provide a link to. I tried their supposedly working firmware with 4.2.3 under Arch first but it worked even less than the previous firmware I've been trying so I've just spent most of the day installing Debian Wheezy which was the last Debian release to use  sysv by default. I expect it could be tricky to use Jessie or later without a recent kernel as it uses systemd by default and I'm trying to use a 2.6 kernel here, which I can't use with the sysd-based Arch, of course. I installed Wheezy by following the OmegaMoon guide:

http://www.omegamoon.com/blog/static.php?page=ZaurusDebian

and I've been trying to get it to boot using the Yonggun kernel and modules from here:

http://yonggun.tistory.com/68

but all I'm getting when I try to boot is:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(3,2)
I have tried setting root=/dev/hda2 and root=/dev/sda2 in boot.cfg only to get the same error. I believe it was still /dev/hda2 under 2.6.

You're dual-booting your Z with Debian aren't you daal? Which version of Debian? What kernel are you using and what APPEND= paramaters do you use in your Debian boot.cfg? Are you using an ext3 or ext4 Debian root?

The company I bought my wifi card off have offered to refund me if I return it soon but if I can get it working under an older kernel  (under a different distro) and prove its not a hardware fault then I'll hold onto it and boot into Debian when I want to use SSH.

All the guides I've found for installing Debian on the Z and the Yonggun kernel seem to presume you're using the SHARP bootloader. Maybe that's why I'm having no luck or maybe I should've installed to ext3 instead of ext4?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 10:40:00 pm by danboid »

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #325 on: November 08, 2015, 01:31:01 am »
WIFI UPDATE

Back in post #179 on p12 of this thread, daal suggested it might be worth me trying to get a PLANEX GW-CF54G wifi if I wanted 802.11g as they are supposed to work with the Z. I looked into those cards and it turns out they use the same Libertas chipset as used in my SparkLAN WCFM-100.

A bit of searching uncovered this page:

http://nokamoto.blogspot.co.uk/2008/01/zau...x-gw-cf54g.html

Which claims my wifi chipset should work under "Debian" (which version they didn't say) with the Yonggun kernel with the firmware they provide a link to. I tried their supposedly working firmware with 4.2.3 under Arch first but it worked even less than the previous firmware I've been trying so I've just spent most of the day installing Debian Wheezy which was the last Debian release to use  sysv by default. I expect it could be tricky to use Jessie or later without a recent kernel as it uses systemd by default and I'm trying to use a 2.6 kernel here, which I can't use with the sysd-based Arch, of course. I installed Wheezy by following the OmegaMoon guide:

http://www.omegamoon.com/blog/static.php?page=ZaurusDebian

and I've been trying to get it to boot using the Yonggun kernel and modules from here:

http://yonggun.tistory.com/68

but all I'm getting when I try to boot is:

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unkown-block(3,2)
I have tried setting root=/dev/hda2 and root=/dev/sda2 in boot.cfg only to get the same error. I believe it was still /dev/hda2 under 2.6.

You're dual-booting your Z with Debian aren't you daal? Which version of Debian? What kernel are you using and what APPEND= paramaters do you use in your Debian boot.cfg? Are you using an ext3 or ext4 Debian root?

The company I bought my wifi card off have offered to refund me if I return it soon but if I can get it working under an older kernel  (under a different distro) and prove its not a hardware fault then I'll hold onto it and boot into Debian when I want to use SSH.

All the guides I've found for installing Debian on the Z and the Yonggun kernel seem to presume you're using the SHARP bootloader. Maybe that's why I'm having no luck or maybe I should've installed to ext3 instead of ext4?

I use a custom build 2.6.36-rc3 kernel under Debian.  This kernel has not build in the prism or libertas drivers unfortunately and I am not sure I still have the source for this one.

The younggun kernel should work with Debian, at least it did when I moved to Debian ages ago.

It is /dev/hdaX with the 2.6 kernels and you will need ext3 very likely. No special APPEND parameters.

LABEL=Debian
KERNEL=/boot/zImage-2.6.36-rc3
APPEND=console=ttyS0,115200n8 root=/dev/hda1 rootfstype=ext3 console=tty1 noinitrd  fbcon=rotate:1  debug dyntick=enable

If your WiFi card works with a 2.6 kernel, it does not mean it will work under 4.2 etc.

The current linux kernel on github shows these firmware files matched to certain models of the libertas chipset.
If your issues are firmware related you may find some clue what files you need to match your model.

static const struct lbs_fw_table fw_table[] = {
    { MODEL_8305, "libertas/cf8305.bin", NULL },
    { MODEL_8305, "libertas_cs_helper.fw", NULL },
    { MODEL_8381, "libertas/cf8381_helper.bin", "libertas/cf8381.bin" },
    { MODEL_8381, "libertas_cs_helper.fw", "libertas_cs.fw" },
    { MODEL_8385, "libertas/cf8385_helper.bin", "libertas/cf8385.bin" },
    { MODEL_8385, "libertas_cs_helper.fw", "libertas_cs.fw" },
    { 0, NULL, NULL }
};
MODULE_FIRMWARE("libertas/cf8305.bin");
MODULE_FIRMWARE("libertas/cf8381_helper.bin");
MODULE_FIRMWARE("libertas/cf8381.bin");
MODULE_FIRMWARE("libertas/cf8385_helper.bin");
MODULE_FIRMWARE("libertas/cf8385.bin");
MODULE_FIRMWARE("libertas_cs_helper.fw");
MODULE_FIRMWARE("libertas_cs.fw");

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:36:31 am by daalnroti »

danboid

• View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #326 on: November 08, 2015, 05:38:00 am »
Thanks daal!

Sounds like I will have to re-install to ext3 then as I just tried mounting the drive as ext3 instead but now it says it can't mount due to "unsupported optional features".

The libertas firmware is named differently (and has a slightly different filesize) under 2.6 vs 4.x.

There are a couple of things wrong or missing from OmegaMoon's guide which I'll ask him to correct once I've got Debian booting but before I return to Debian I want to try out daal's hacked SDL!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:15:23 am by danboid »

danboid

• View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #327 on: November 08, 2015, 07:27:13 am »
Why did you decide to build your own 2.6 kernel? I might be interested in trying to re-build it for the same reasons but wth Libertas support and, if you didn't enable it already, ext4 support which was marked stable in 2.6.28.

Which release of Debian are you running? Also, if you could answer my Qs from a few posts back (#324) daal that'd be great!

Cheers!

EDIT

I just noticed you've updated the OP re ACPI - good stuff!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:30:22 am by danboid »

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #328 on: November 08, 2015, 10:36:52 pm »
Did you see my post about the C1000? I presume your kernel should work for C1000 users too right?

It may work. Just need someone to test it ?

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Archlinuxarm On C3x00
« Reply #329 on: November 08, 2015, 10:52:32 pm »
Why did you decide to build your own 2.6 kernel? I might be interested in trying to re-build it for the same reasons but wth Libertas support and, if you didn't enable it already, ext4 support which was marked stable in 2.6.28.

Which release of Debian are you running? Also, if you could answer my Qs from a few posts back (#324) daal that'd be great!

Cheers!

EDIT

I just noticed you've updated the OP re ACPI - good stuff!

I do not really remember why I build a custom kernel back then.

Probably because of the need of some modules that where not included in the yonggun kernel.

Also there were some udev issues with the younggun kernel 6 years ago :  https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?s=&...st&p=183225

Ext4 was new back then, ext3 was the standard I guess. For testing your WiFi card your file system will not matter.

As mentioned, I do not think I have source and patches for this kernel anymore, it was just to long ago and has suffered from bit-rott.

I am still running Wheezy/Sid and did not do a apt-get update for about 5 years. Not sure the repos are still active, I thought armel debian is dead already.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 10:53:04 pm by daalnroti »