Author Topic: Final call for TP3  (Read 41499 times)

mibry

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 04:43:12 am »
I hope that TP3 will fix the problem I am encountering. I had to reflash my gemini with android and debian, when I did the dist-upgrade and install kernel I had not taskbasr come up after rebooting the gemini, I only had the background and was unable to access any menus.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Quote from: mithrandir
@TheKit:
Thanks, good to know.

Then (obviously) I would also like the Wayland solution, but as you told, this would be too much for TP3. The kernel part is a bit unfortunate, really hoped for an update. 3.18 is pretty much EOL... Also hoped for a newer kernel fixing the sd card performance after sleep issue, present in both, Android and Debian.

Regarding GPS apps, it should be possible to run navit on the gemini, still using this on my old n900, but there are quite some more, i.e. kismet supports GPS, via gpsd if I remember correctly.

Kiriririn

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 09:53:13 am »
Quote from: mibry
I hope that TP3 will fix the problem I am encountering. I had to reflash my gemini with android and debian, when I did the dist-upgrade and install kernel I had not taskbasr come up after rebooting the gemini, I only had the background and was unable to access any menus.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

@TheKit:
Thanks, good to know.

Then (obviously) I would also like the Wayland solution, but as you told, this would be too much for TP3. The kernel part is a bit unfortunate, really hoped for an update. 3.18 is pretty much EOL... Also hoped for a newer kernel fixing the sd card performance after sleep issue, present in both, Android and Debian.

Regarding GPS apps, it should be possible to run navit on the gemini, still using this on my old n900, but there are quite some more, i.e. kismet supports GPS, via gpsd if I remember correctly.

It's a dependency issue in the new pulseaudio update, I had assumed it was 'just me' with the amount I've changed things but I guess not

You can fix it by installing ubuntu-application-api3-touch via apt

mibry

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 10:07:11 am »
Ok thanks

Quote from: Kiriririn
Quote from: mibry

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

@TheKit:
Thanks, good to know.

It's a dependency issue in the new pulseaudio update, I had assumed it was 'just me' with the amount I've changed things but I guess not

You can fix it by installing ubuntu-application-api3-touch via apt

wrobell

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 07:18:48 pm »
It would be great to have GPS indeed.

Adam Boardman

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 08:24:48 am »
- https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=35185 (better to build from source and disable acceleration) - can't imagine using Gemini without this
I thought I'd persuaded someone to report back to me when they had the perfect config for that mouse thing so I could branch it into gemian, they never got back to me, very happy to add that. I can add you to the project on github or whatever suits.

- I've found a vertical panel works well, not something I'd normally use but it feels natural on the Gemini. (I don't think you need two bars, one double-width icon-only one is plenty)
Sounds interesting, I did try the double bars version for a while but lost the config when I got the digital rain and never got round to doing it again after a pointless reflash. Digital rain just needs a flat battery/disconnect to fix. If folks with interesting layouts could post screenshots then we can pick what we think is the most generally useful as a default, and the others would make a good set of examples for folks to see whats possible.

- I can't remember if it's in already, but I've got lxqt-runner bound to alt+space, nicer than the fiddly start menu imo
Cool, I've put that in, very useful.

jornada720

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 10:40:13 am »
Quote from: jornada720
Any chance you could fix the KDE keyboard situation?

It's soooo much more powerful and better suited for the high-dpi screen than LxQT. Among its many advantages, you can actually use the taskbar. Icons can be probably sized as well.

I've got no issues with DPI scaling on lxqt, it works excellently

I have the following env vars set:

GDK_DPI_SCALE=1.75
GTK_CSD=0
GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=1
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1
XCURSOR_SIZE=48

And xdefaults

Xft.dpi:     192
Xcursor.size: 48

And 96 dpi set in lxqt

Basically all from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI

Have you ever tried KDE Plasma compared to LXQT? It is about 3 or 4 times more useful. All of those settings can easily be adjusted with a GUI, for instance.

The Gemini is more than capable of running it, except the keyboard doesn't work correctly.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:41:09 am by jornada720 »

Kiriririn

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 02:26:25 pm »
Any chance you could fix the KDE keyboard situation?

It's soooo much more powerful and better suited for the high-dpi screen than LxQT. Among its many advantages, you can actually use the taskbar. Icons can be probably sized as well.

I've got no issues with DPI scaling on lxqt, it works excellently

I have the following env vars set:

GDK_DPI_SCALE=1.75
GTK_CSD=0
GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=1
QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=1
XCURSOR_SIZE=48

And xdefaults

Xft.dpi:     192
Xcursor.size: 48

And 96 dpi set in lxqt

Basically all from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI

Have you ever tried KDE Plasma compared to LXQT? It is about 3 or 4 times more useful. All of those settings can easily be adjusted with a GUI, for instance.

The Gemini is more than capable of running it, except the keyboard doesn't work correctly.

Yeah it's my desktop of choice, but I find lxqt fits the Gemini's limited hardware and screen area better. It's a shame that it's kind of unfinished software, especially the version shipped in stretch

Kiriririn

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 10:33:23 pm »
Quote from: Adam Boardman
- https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=35185 (better to build from source and disable acceleration) - can't imagine using Gemini without this
I thought I'd persuaded someone to report back to me when they had the perfect config for that mouse thing so I could branch it into gemian, they never got back to me, very happy to add that. I can add you to the project on github or whatever suits.

Sounds good I'm happy to contribute whatever way works best

I'm still using the config as posted in that thread, no complaints using it regularly once you get used to the different gesture for dragging than what people might be used to on laptop synaptics touchpads, everything else feels pretty natural

- I've found a vertical panel works well, not something I'd normally use but it feels natural on the Gemini. (I don't think you need two bars, one double-width icon-only one is plenty)
Sounds interesting, I did try the double bars version for a while but lost the config when I got the digital rain and never got round to doing it again after a pointless reflash. Digital rain just needs a flat battery/disconnect to fix. If folks with interesting layouts could post screenshots then we can pick what we think is the most generally useful as a default, and the others would make a good set of examples for folks to see whats possible.

This is my current layout:

[img]https://imgkk.com/i/ab7p.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]

(Really could do with https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt/issues/131)

- I can't remember if it's in already, but I've got lxqt-runner bound to alt+space, nicer than the fiddly start menu imo
Cool, I've put that in, very useful.

Awesome, couple more things I've just remembered I added that might be useful...

In lxqt globalkeyshortcuts.conf

Code: [Select]
[Print.20]
Comment=scrot
Enabled=true
Exec=scrot
(+ dependency on scrot) for screenshots on Fn+R (key that looks most like it should take a screenshot imo)

[XF86TopMenu.34]
Comment=show desktop actual
Enabled=true
Exec=/(somewhere)/minimise-all
#!/bin/bash
for i in {1..20}
do
xdotool getactivewindow windowminimize
done
(+ dependency on xdotool) for a winkey+d/m like behaviour on Fn+D, since the lxqt show desktop command doesnt work (can't remember if this is a side effect of no compositor)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:36:03 pm by Kiriririn »

Adam Boardman

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2019, 03:22:36 am »
The shortcuts are defined in https://github.com/gemian/lxqt-common/blob/...yshortcuts.conf we already have print screen and show desktop working so far as I know, I'd rather you left working things working unless you get a consensus to change, ie a poll here to check which of two options people prefer.

So far I've given github access to the gemian project to anyone who wanted (messaging me with an email address is probably best), no abuse so far though also virtually zero use either. The gatekeeping comes in when we build components, currently you've to persuade either Nikita (TheKit) or I to code review any changes and kick off a jenkins build before it gets pushed to the apt repository.

TheKit

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 07:33:45 pm »

It can be workarounded for now by disabling conflicting key shortcuts in System Settings.

bled82

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2019, 07:17:42 am »
Would it be possible to get USB c full dock support for Dell dock  wd15? Aka ethernet/hdmi/display port/usb/power delivery?

Murple2

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 08:27:43 am »
Quote from: bled82
Would it be possible to get USB c full dock support for Dell dock  wd15? Aka ethernet/hdmi/display port/usb/power delivery?

This doesn't use displaylink technology so it is very unlikely you could ever use the video output. Impossible, I would go so far to say.

bled82

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 08:49:45 am »
Ah ok , I think we have a Kingston sd4000 somewhere at work I can yet out,  anything special I need?  It's display lynk. I have the USB  c adapter needed.

Murple2

• View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 01:08:09 pm »
Quote from: bled82
Ah ok , I think we have a Kingston sd4000 somewhere at work I can yet out,  anything special I need?  It's display lynk. I have the USB  c adapter needed.

V2 displaylink has open source drivers and v3, AFAIK, does not. You will need the evdi kernel module and then some user space binaries for arm64. It may be possible but certainly not for the faint of heart.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Final call for TP3
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 11:09:22 pm »
Has getting ethernet working been addressed?

Would be nice to have that option to use the Gemini hub (or possibly other usb adapter...) when WiFi not available.
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/