Author Topic: Rooting the Cosmo Communicator  (Read 57737 times)

Zarhan

• View Profile
Rooting the Cosmo Communicator
« Reply #135 on: July 07, 2020, 12:28:01 pm »
The process above works also for V23.

Just extract boot image with Sp_flashtool, patch with magisk and then install using fastboot.

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
Rooting the Cosmo Communicator
« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2020, 08:38:39 am »

Mindsupply

• View Profile
Re: Rooting the Cosmo Communicator
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2020, 08:04:04 am »
Hi All, I'm new here and want to thank all for posting here. It helped me a lot. I managed to unlock the bootloader, install Debian and rooted Android.

Now I want to start installing Devuan Linux inside Android (reference topic on this site from jjrv). It states:

"Unlock bootloader, install Magisk and Get Ninji's rooted boot image and flash it". Image only suitable for V19 and then continues..

Now my question: Is the rooted Android provided by PC (V23) different than the custom images (like Ninji's) and still needs to be flashed? Or has the rooted Android boot the same functionality (as it is rooted already)? If so, I can continue the installation provided by jjrv. If not, do I need to flash the boot image provided by ZimbiX for V23?

Thanks in advance.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2020, 11:20:56 am »
My understanding is that
1) Planet's own images are signed, so no need to unlock bootloader, however
2) Planet's own images are built for their partition scheme, where you need to set up partitions like 90/30 Android/Linux - even if you are interested in just using the rooted Android, because you don't even get the "rooted android" partition without using *some* scheme where a bit of space is allocated for Linux

The multiple partitions approach do allow you to boot to unrooted android since it's preserved.
The problem is that Planet's bootloader does not seem to allow you to set the "default" boot partition. So you always have to manually select that you want root...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 11:22:27 am by Zarhan »

Mindsupply

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2020, 04:00:11 am »
Thanks for your reply Zarhan,

That makes it clear.. I don't have to flash an other boot image again, as PC's rooted image is suitable enough now.

I can do a normal boot to install OTA's and yeah, I have to select rooted Android with each reboot, but I don't find that a problem at all..

So now I'm going to struggle to get the Devuan Linux to work..

As I saw you already did this.. If you have any additional tips on top of the instructions of jjrv, it is much appreciated.. : )

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2020, 04:02:12 am »
As I saw you already did this.. If you have any additional tips on top of the instructions of jjrv, it is much appreciated.. : )

Not really - I've commented on that thread with my own additions.

Mindsupply

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2020, 04:15:32 am »
Ah.. ok. Thanks.. I'm going to try after I receive my ordered 512GB SD card. Will update later on the right thread of jjrv.

Have a good day..

usagi87

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2021, 02:35:53 pm »
Hey, read the anwsers but still bit confused never done anything like this. How do I create the scatter file for my cosmo and create an original boot image from cosmo? Trying to root but sd card wont working so trying different ways.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2021, 09:26:46 am »
Hey, read the anwsers but still bit confused never done anything like this. How do I create the scatter file for my cosmo and create an original boot image from cosmo? Trying to root but sd card wont working so trying different ways.

Hi, for scatter file, just use this:

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=35879.msg292916#msg292916

And I wrote a summary of rest of the process, read my specific summary post at

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?topic=35879.msg294633#msg294633

The only thing is that in my step 5, when you are supposed to extract the boot.img you are pretty much forced to use the SP flashtool (https://spflashtool.com/) and a PC. Just use the readback functionality, do not write anything, and you are safe.

I would like to run Planet's official, signed image for root, but that will require wiping my phone again so I have been avoiding that.

I've just un-rooted my phone in anticipation of the V25, hopefully it lands soon.

usagi87

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2021, 02:58:02 pm »
Thanks for the information. Can the sp flash tool used to create a backup of the boot image?

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2021, 04:37:56 pm »
Thanks for the information. Can the sp flash tool used to create a backup of the boot image?

That's what it's for. You use it to grab the boot image. (Do not use it for writing to the device unless you know what you are doing). This is also your backup - keep it to allow for OTA upgrades to work.

You then create the rooted boot image using magisk manager.

You can then flash the rooted or original boot image using fastboot.

usagi87

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2021, 02:33:56 pm »
Would anyone happen to have a scatter file for v22 firmaware?

usagi87

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2021, 03:14:27 pm »
How do I use the scatter file to readback the boot image? When tried first time loaded the scatter file and then from readback selected emmc_boot_1 but the file size is only 4kb.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2021, 03:20:13 am »
How do I use the scatter file to readback the boot image? When tried first time loaded the scatter file and then from readback selected emmc_boot_1 but the file size is only 4kb.

Hi, when you input the scatter file, you see the following output for "download" tab. We are interested in the "boot" region:

Then go to Readback tab and click add, enter same value as the start of "boot" for starting location, in this case 0x21700000, and size 32 megabytes (0x2000000). That 32M is simply 0x23700000 - 0x21700000 (difference from start of next partition, "logo"). Actually, I had to enter the size with leading zeroes (0x00000000002000000) back when I did this originally, but this may have changed in recent flashtool versions. I did not need to do that now when I took the screenshot, for some reason.

No, I do not know how to get the endpoint of the boot image "cleanly". The patched image (from Magisk) is correct size. But 10 megs vs 32 - no difference really.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 03:24:23 am by Zarhan »

usagi87

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2021, 04:36:20 pm »
Hey thanks for information. Do I need to make a new scatter file or will old one do now that the update came?