Author Topic: Beta Linux Testing  (Read 7526 times)

mibry

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« on: February 12, 2020, 02:49:23 pm »
There was an email sent out this afternoon from Planet to people that had indicated they wanted beta Linux for the Cosmo. There is a Linux beta image available for testing from Planets site. Be aware it is very early beta.

Regards

Mibry

szopin

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 03:04:52 pm »
Anyone managed to get their keyboard layout working? Followed instructions (removed _apt user from passwd, did apt-get update/upgrade, added cosmo to model), but layout stays us no matter what, ctrl-alt-k just displays 'us' even after removing 'us' from layouts

mibry

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 03:10:54 pm »
Quote from: szopin
Anyone managed to get their keyboard layout working? Followed instructions (removed _apt user from passwd, did apt-get update/upgrade, added cosmo to model), but layout stays us no matter what, ctrl-alt-k just displays 'us' even after removing 'us' from layouts

Go into the settings -> input devices -> keyboard. In the keyboard model select Planet | Planet Computers Cosmo Communicator.

Then select apply.

This worked for me.

szopin

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 03:12:56 pm »
Quote from: mibry

Go into the settings -> input devices -> keyboard. In the keyboard model select Planet | Planet Computers Cosmo Communicator.

Then select apply.

This worked for me.
Yeah, still having the default (US?) layout, no luck with adding/changing layouts, so trying to find any special kreys like -_" etc is a bummer

mibry

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 03:16:38 pm »

Then select apply.

This worked for me.
Yeah, still having the default (US?) layout, no luck with adding/changing layouts, so trying to find any special keys like -_" etc is a bummer

Did you do an apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade? The image is from about the 21st Jan. And then reboot.

szopin

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 03:28:30 pm »

Then select apply.

This worked for me.
Yeah, still having the default (US?) layout, no luck with adding/changing layouts, so trying to find any special keys like -_" etc is a bummer

Did you do an apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade? The image is from about the 21st Jan. And then reboot.
Yes, as I said followed the instructions and did all those (removed _apt user from passwd, did apt-get update/upgrade, added cosmo to model), the layout just remains in 'us' state even after removing 'us' from layouts and rebooting. Btw we need some way to get ESC remapped to ESC, that's a pretty basic key and we don't need the android 'back' in linux

mibry

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 03:37:32 pm »
I would suggest jumping onto telegram and go into the planet group and ask on there.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 03:38:07 pm by mibry »

szopin

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 07:14:32 pm »
I would suggest jumping onto telegram and go into the planet group and ask on there.
Not sure which group in telegram, but the issue I have seems to be connected to polish layout, I can switch between spanish (es), en-UK (gb) and en-US (us), but pl layout is just skipped (and from terminal 'setxkbmap pl' gives 'Error loading new keyboard description', so looks like an issue with just some of the layouts)

irukandji

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 06:42:24 am »
Did someone test linux image? Does it do anything regarding linux phone calls, sms, mobile network?

AGdesigns-NL

• View Profile
    • Http://agdesigns.nl
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 06:56:29 am »
Does this also affect the default stock android, what is the best tool to backup/restore data from the current Android ? Will the planet own updates be affected by it?
How did you subscribed to be a Linux tester?
As a software developer i really cant wait to test/work with Linux on the Cosmo.

szopin

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 07:01:02 am »
Not sure which group in telegram, but the issue I have seems to be connected to polish layout, I can switch between spanish (es), en-UK (gb) and en-US (us), but pl layout is just skipped (and from terminal 'setxkbmap pl' gives 'Error loading new keyboard description', so looks like an issue with just some of the layouts)
Looks like multiple issues, one with polish layout, so edited out spanish one to have it match my cosmo hw (you can edit that in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/planet_vndr/cosmo), now as long as it is the only layout in settings it works fine, if I add the 'us' then it breaks again, this time with Fn+key combos behaving weirdly even if switching (ctrl-alt-k) between layouts seems to work in UI.

edit: a proper fix submitted on github
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 07:49:57 am by szopin »

mibry

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 07:34:39 am »
Quote from: irukandji
Did someone test linux image? Does it do anything regarding linux phone calls, sms, mobile network?
Calls, SMS, bluetooth and mobile data don't work at present.

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 12:20:14 pm »
There was an email sent out this afternoon from Planet to people that had indicated they wanted beta Linux for the Cosmo. There is a Linux beta image available for testing from Planets site. Be aware it is very early beta.

Regards

Mibry

Where is the link to download the image ? Can I install  this image ( I've already partitioned my Cosmo ) without  damage my rooted android installed. Thank you.

Ben10

• View Profile
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 12:37:45 pm »
Is there a way to power off or restart device with buttons only? I was using debian, left it powered on, and after 10-15 mins display turned off, like to some sleep state. The blue caps lock led is on but nothing else. Do I really have to wait for batt to die...?

Btw, here it is:

http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Cosmo_Linux_Beta
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 12:38:24 pm by Ben10 »

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
Beta Linux Testing
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 12:38:21 pm »
Quote from: cam1965

Regards

Mibry

Where is the link to download the image ? Can I install  this image ( I've already partitioned my Cosmo ) without  damage my rooted android installed? Thank you.

Already found it : http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Cosmo_Linux_Beta

Only to know : Can I install  this image ( I've already partitioned my Cosmo ) without  damage my rooted android installed. ?Thank you.