Author Topic: CoDi is a broken feature at this point  (Read 12880 times)

Kamikaze Comet

• View Profile
CoDi is a broken feature at this point
« on: March 14, 2020, 02:24:45 am »
I've been carrying the Cosmo Communicator for one week. I think at this moment the CoDi is broken and not gonna work properly no matter what we do.

first of all, this thing looks very laggy. The animation feels like 12 fps. And it crashes and reboots itself all the time. When you unlock your CoDi with your pin, you really are only unlocking the CoDi. It doesn't unlock the phone.

Most importantly, battery take a huge hit if CoDi is on. It feels like this thing drains as much battery as the rest of the system combined. It is ridiculous. I ended up turning if off the whole day. But if it's off, I can't answer phone calls without opening the phone. I know CoDi will automatically turn itself off with the new update, I am having that function on and the battery still takes huge hit.

The CoDi is in such a pathetic stage that it does nothing good.

vldmr

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 02:44:30 pm »
It works for me just fine and I find it very useful and quite functional.

One difference in my usage pattern from yours: I unlock using fingerprint, that does unlock the phone.

Another difference: I have the phone plugged into usb port on my computer while at work, and plugged into charger on nighttable while sleeping. So it discharges only for few hours per day when not in one of these two places. Which makes battery disharge non-issue for me.

Regarding  self reboot - I think I witnessed that myself only once, and that reboot took less than (half?) a minute, after which it was fully functional again. So even it does reboots more, I does not seem to affect me.

SwordfishII

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 04:27:25 pm »
Quote from: vldmr

One difference in my usage pattern from yours: I unlock using fingerprint, that does unlock the pphone

I agree, it's a bit slow but it works well for what it is designed for.

I also wager most people with battery issues have BT/wifi/location/nfc on constantly and brightness maxed.

I get at least a day and a half of moderate usage from mine with codi enabled and used constantly.

I also have huge fingers yet can still dial accurately.

I do get somethings in codi like location randomly turning on but it isn't unusable.

I wish codi allowed viewing mms pictures though.

Kamikaze Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 07:07:13 pm »
Quote from: SwordfishII

One difference in my usage pattern from yours: I unlock using fingerprint, that does unlock the pphone

I also wager most people with battery issues have BT/wifi/location/nfc on constantly and brightness maxed.

I get at least a day and a half of moderate usage from mine with codi enabled and used constantly.

I do get somethings in codi like location randomly turning on but it isn't unusable.

Sounds like yours is just as broken as mine. One day use without CoDi only comsumed 30+% battery for me.

Kamikaze Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 07:08:16 pm »

One difference in my usage pattern from yours: I unlock using fingerprint, that does unlock the phone.

Another difference: I have the phone plugged into usb port on my computer while at work, and plugged into charger on nighttable while sleeping. So it discharges only for few hours per day when not in one of these two places. Which makes battery disharge non-issue for me.

Regarding  self reboot - I think I witnessed that myself only once, and that reboot took less than (half?) a minute, after which it was fully functional again. So even it does reboots more, I does not seem to affect me.

So it's a quality control issue?
How you unlock it doesn't change a thing. I can also use finger print, it is the same.

vldmr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 09:13:55 pm »
Quote from: Kamikaze Comet
How you unlock it doesn't change a thing. I can also use finger print, it is the same.
I do not think its about quality control. First thing to check is your codi version. Mine is v1.1.1.13. My android is 01182020-v19. If any of yours is less than that first thing would be updating. If yours are the same than I would assume it is something in settings. Like duraspeed for example.

Kamikaze Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 11:40:00 pm »
I do not think its about quality control. First thing to check is your codi version. Mine is v1.1.1.13. My android is 01182020-v19. If any of yours is less than that first thing would be updating. If yours are the same than I would assume it is something in settings. Like duraspeed for example.

Mine was already up to date. I wouldn't call it broken garbage without doing my part first. You can safely assume every Cosmo Communicator owner knows what he is doing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 01:15:04 am by Kamikaze Comet »

SwordfishII

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 01:28:20 pm »

Sounds like yours is just as broken as mine. One day use without CoDi only comsumed 30+% battery for me.

Um ok? A full day and another half day on a single charge really isn't "broken" How long do you consider enough, because that is pretty good in the cellphone world.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 01:40:28 pm »
I had to delete the latest post from SwordfishII since it crossed the line. Please everyone behave, and try to understand that different people have different expectations from the Cosmo: what could be an acceptable behaviour of the device for someone, for someone else it is not.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Kamikaze Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 05:14:26 pm »
Quote from: Varti
I had to delete the latest post from SwordfishII since it crossed the line. Please everyone behave, and try to understand that different people have different expectations from the Cosmo: what could be an acceptable behaviour of the device for someone, for someone else it is not.

Varti

Yes sir.

Um ok? A full day and another half day on a single charge really isn't "broken" How long do you consider enough, because that is pretty good in the cellphone world.

It is great for you if you are happy with the result. However, I don't think CoDi suppose to behave this way. The software is clearly broken on mine. And mine is already updated. Planet Computers know it's broken, otherwise they won't need to give us an option to turn it off.

SwordfishII

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 08:26:06 pm »
Quote from: Varti

Varti

What exactly crossed the line? I wrote nothing ridiculous, and if implying someone is the actual problem (with their own insulting words) is discouraged, then someone stating something is "broken garbage," because it doesn't meet their expectations should also not be allowed...

This device works exactly as designed and intended, so no it isn't "broken," and it isn't "garbage"
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:43:38 pm by SwordfishII »

SwordfishII

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 08:28:23 pm »
It is great for you if you are happy with the result. However, I don't think CoDi suppose to behave this way. The software is clearly broken on mine. And mine is already updated. Planet Computers know it's broken, otherwise they won't need to give us an option to turn it off.

Ok great it didn't meet your expectations that doesnt mean it is "broken garbage"

vldmr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 11:08:18 pm »
Ok great it didn't meet your expectations that doesnt mean it is "broken garbage"
Cool down man. Do not feed [a person who posts deliberately inflammatory messages]

SwordfishII

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 02:12:00 am »
Cool down man. Do not feed [a person who posts deliberately inflammatory messages]

You are right of course, and I will simply add him to the block list. I shouldn't get worked up, but assertions like "broken garbage," is why we end up with the same unimaginative iterations of big screen and slightly faster processor phone with more ram.

I have been waiting for something like this since 2012 when my n900 died and there hasnt been anything close until now (Gemini was mostly computer).

I absolutely admit this device isn't perfect, but it does work pretty well, and the software side is still being improved.

Ok I'm off the soapbox and won't interact anymore. I hope it eventually becomes what he is looking for and if not I hope he finds a device that does meet those needs.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2020, 05:20:57 am »
@SwordfishII:
I have moderated your post since with it the thread was starting to become a list of personal insults. But yes, you are right that it isn't polite to call the Cosmo a "broken garbage", although I understand the frustration when a device this expensive doesn't meet your expectations.

Let's rather focus on what could be the improvements on the software side. I really hope to see a future CoDi update with a smoother UI, for example.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!