Author Topic: CoDi is a broken feature at this point  (Read 12970 times)

Daniel W

• View Profile
Re: CoDi is a broken feature at this point
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2021, 12:52:12 pm »
Well, after using 1.1.1.16 for ten days, my total CoDi Crash Count for that period, is, as far as I can recall, zero. That's a big deal for me, as that actually makes the CoDi, again, for me, quite useful. Maybe it could have a more features and some of the features it already has, could perhaps be implemented in a better way. Still, hearing my phone ring and be able to have a reasonable expectation of the CoDi actually showing me who's calling, rather than just having crashed again, undoubtedly makes my Cosmo more useful.

Edit: A week or two later, I had my first CoDi crash on 1.1.1.16 and, shortly thereafter, a bogus "there's a new version" notification. I have, so far, only had one of those and, maybe three CoDi crashes a week, on average. At one point, I had three in two days, then it seemed to get its act together a bit better again. Not sure what's going on. I'm really only using the CoDi for caller Id and as a clock. The few calls I'm making are always initiated from the main UI and I always read incoming messages on the main screen. Basically I'm using the CoDi as little as I can get away with.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 06:46:18 pm by Daniel W »

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2021, 01:09:53 pm »
Well, after using 1.1.1.16 for ten days, my total CoDi Crash Count for that period, is, as far as I can recall, zero. That's a big deal for me, as that actually makes the CoDi, again, for me, quite useful. Maybe it could have a more features and some of the features it already has, could perhaps be implemented in a better way. Still, hearing my phone ring and be able to have a reasonable expectation of the CoDi actually showing me who's calling, rather than just having crashed again, undoubtedly makes my Cosmo more useful.

What, you actually consider it an ADVANTAGE that it works?? Curious... :o 8) ???

To be a bit more serious: It has crashed on me to, on occasion, but no more than the phone itself. So, either I've been lucky, or I'm not running programs that causes (caused?) problems with the Codi. Hope others that have had problems with Codi also finds this last update to solve at least some, and hopefully most of their problems.

el_toro

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2021, 07:12:28 am »
I would have to agree with the author of this post. However "broken" is such an absolute description of the CoDi feature.  Rather I'd describe it as "falling short" of the target functionality.

To date I have found that  CoDi adds more problems to the Cosmo Communicator than its poor operation does to improve the Cosmo.

It's a shame really, but I am sure Planet Computers had very good intention. However I don't believe they did a good job at the design and planing stage.  It appears that they tried to force goals into a implementation that simply couldn't fully deliver. End result was a solution that "kinda" does what they said it would or perhaps what they thought people wanted.  As for myself I'd prefer having FEW features working very well than having ALL features half working or not at all.

It appears that CoDi should have been (or was only capable of)... , just that. A simple Cover Display, Brief information to the user without opening the Cosmo.  But i just don't understand why or how it ended up like it did. 

The lack of response of the touch screen and limits of the display alone should of kept the design goals basic. But yet features like the "camera preview" made it into the mix!

Yes I know that feature sounds fantastic but on an OLED and with a frame rate that would only impress a snail what they hell were they thinking!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 07:14:12 am by el_toro »

yowlingcat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2021, 05:13:03 am »
I wish I had found this forum BEFORE I bought my Communicator  ;)

I agree with the posts here - I have suffered all the problems the posters have described and now run with the CODI turned off. With a smartwatch, you can see who is calling, so there is no need for it really.

Advantages of turning off the CODI: better battery life (I mean by days) and more reliable without random restarts.