Author Topic: Cosmo Linux firmware v3 has been released with Cosmo Cover Display support.  (Read 9963 times)

peter

• View Profile
Re: Cosmo Linux firmware v3 has been released with Cosmo Cover Display support.
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 01:02:22 am »

-Cannot add new user so the device is very insecure

One of the first things I did after installing v3 was add a new user. 
https://devconnected.com/how-to-add-and-delete-users-on-debian-10-buster/#Adding_a_user_using_adduser

Then I changed the password of the default user "cosmo" (although I'll probably just delete that account once I get CoDi set up on my new user account).
https://devconnected.com/how-to-change-user-password-on-debian-10/#Change_Another_Users_Password_with_passwd

oida

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 02:51:25 am »

-Cannot add new user so the device is very insecure

One of the first things I did after installing v3 was add a new user. 
https://devconnected.com/how-to-add-and-delete-users-on-debian-10-buster/#Adding_a_user_using_adduser

Then I changed the password of the default user "cosmo" (although I'll probably just delete that account once I get CoDi set up on my new user account).
https://devconnected.com/how-to-change-user-password-on-debian-10/#Change_Another_Users_Password_with_passwd

Thanks a lot!

I also cannot Import vcf contacts, Screen stays white in the Phone App. Any ideas? Tia

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2020, 01:38:59 pm »

Can use CoDi display as trackpad....

So, right now, pretty happy.....

But can you use CoDi for phone calls under Linux?

Hi LinuxGuy.
After reinstalling the new image, Yes, I can use Cosmo as phone answering and dialing from codi. I have also installed connman and cmst to enable internet data sim . It conflicts partially with network-manager ( installed from planet image ).  Sometimes  opening connman is slow. That is the  only problem.  Installed also ofono-scripts. If you have to open a video and audio you have to change in system settings output to speaker. Because it is set automatically to earphone ( because of telephony ).
CAM.

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2020, 11:57:14 pm »
Thanks for the info!

So just following the update procedure lined out by PC didnt do the trick .. .. <sigh> ... 

oida

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 03:58:28 pm »
I can use codi to call people from the missed-call-list. I cannot call anyone in contacts.
But why care - import of contacts does not work anyway, nor are contacts in Linux recogniced by the phone app. Android is outdated. But it works well as a toy phone for my 3 and 5 years old children ;-)

BobA

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 12:17:54 pm »
Greetings!

I'm new to the group so please bear with me if this is widely known/understood.

I was keenly interested in getting he keyboard backlight to work in Cosmo Linux Firmware V3, I asked the support at Planet Computers if there was any way to turn the Keyboard Backlight on, turns out there is (the response from the Planet Computers support folks follows:

In Linux you can adjust the keyboard backlight from the command line.

The following command will work:

“echo X > /proc/aw9524_led_proc”

Where X range from 40 (no light) to 45 (light intensity max).

Again if this is old news my sincere apologies, I hadn't come across the above info before and wanted to share it.

--BobA

MonkeyControl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 02:37:31 pm »
Greetings!

I was keenly interested in getting he keyboard backlight to work in Cosmo Linux Firmware V3, I asked the support at Planet Computers if there was any way to turn the Keyboard Backlight on, turns out there is (the response from the Planet Computers support folks follows:

Again if this is old news my sincere apologies, I hadn't come across the above info before and wanted to share it.

--BobA

A few more for both the Gemini and the Cosmo on this webpage below: 

https://github.com/gemian/gemian/wiki/LEDs

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 03:17:25 pm »
Greetings!

--BobA

Hi BobA and other new members,

Welcome to this illustrious and helpful group!

Thanks for your sharing.

Enjoy your time here.

Best,

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

BobA

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2020, 12:37:51 pm »
Hi folks!

I've been using this V3 linux implementation for a few weeks and have had pretty good luck with it.

I had a "USB C Hub, MCY 8-in-1 Type c hub Adapter with RJ45 Ethernet Port" laying around and it works well on port 1 (the left side).  I have used an ethernet connection for several days connected to that hub.  I haven't tested the hdmi yet but it shows it's there and I am confident that will work.

I had two items that I'd love to get some feedback on from anyone:

__USB to Serial adapters  -Do any work in this version of linux?
    I have tested a Prolific 2303 chipset based USB to Serial adapter as well as an FTDI Based USB to Serial Adapter -in both cases I know they adapters have the real chipsets vs a knock-off/grey market chip.  Both adapters are properly enumerated on the USB bus (lsusb) and have a device id etc but don't get as far as getting a usable /dev/TTYUSB*.  I'm thinking there may not be kernel support in this build for ftdi.sio for example or whatever the one is for the prolific2303.  Has anyone had any experience with USB to Serial on this build with the Cosmo?  I'm thinking I'm going to have to do this the hard way unless I've missed something.

__ofono-scripts: does anyone have one of these that works well for Google Fi in the US?  I have a SIM on the way from google and am hopeful ill be able to pull what's needed off the SIM for the script automagically but it never is that easy it seems ;-).

Thanks for your time!

--BobA

MonkeyControl

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2021, 07:14:17 pm »
I also cannot Import vcf contacts, Screen stays white in the Phone App. Any ideas? Tia
Apologies for the late response on this one, I spend most of my time in UBPorts these days. 
This link has a solution: 
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=10711
I've just tried it, it works for me. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 07:54:14 pm by MonkeyControl »

LinuxGuy

• View Profile
But can you use CoDi for phone calls under Linux?
Hi LinuxGuy.
After reinstalling the new image,

But if I reinstall the whole image (instead of apt update etc.) I will loose my complet configuration, right? Reflashed manually v15 but calling via codi still doesnt work, Touchpad works...
Thanks for a hint
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 05:02:33 am by Varti »

taylorgodiva28

• View Profile
Gentlemen, 
How long does the battery charge lasts using Linux? I can barely use Linux for six hours before the battery is depleted. I don't know if clock scaling works (the system reports the clock changes), and it seems that core disabling works, because some apps become sluggish. But both actions don't seem to make any difference on battery charge consumption. Disabling CODI on Android allows me to use Cosmo for almost three days with one charge, with moderate use. 
There are some things that may look minor but play an important role in our battery lifespan. The first one is tuning off unused system features. This includes (but is not restricted to) WiFi, Bluetooth, VGA ports, ethernet, and more. All these ports drain energy from the battery, and some devices even have hardware buttons to disable them. If buttons are not available, we can disable their drivers, as described in the next section. Moreover, we can also hibernate instead of suspending/sleeping our system. This means suspending to disk instead of suspending to RAM memory so that the battery spends no energy.