Author Topic: Android 11 for Cosmo?!  (Read 3491 times)

Zarhan

• View Profile
Android 11 for Cosmo?!
« on: December 02, 2020, 07:47:15 am »
Whoa, this is interesting, statement by Planet at the Astro Indiegogo page in response to concerns about keeping the Android updates rolling:

The next Android update for Cosmo is in the works with latest security patches and a few other changes. Also we hope to upgrade Cosmo directly from Android 9 to Android 11.

Now...I'm not sure how to react to this. How well did the original Gemini PDA Android version update from 7 to 8 go?

Vistaus

• View Profile
Re: Android 11 for Cosmo?!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 04:51:35 pm »
Also, is it even possible? 'Cause I remember lots of people saying over the years that you can't skip an Android version...

I also wonder about SoC drivers. Did MediaTek really add support for Android 11 to this chipset? 'Cause it's not exactly a new chipset anymore... Or did Planet take the Fairphone route and reverse engineered the driver in order to support a newer version?

alien2003

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:01:12 pm »
Can you provide a link to the statement? Can't find it

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 08:17:48 am »
Can you provide a link to the statement? Can't find it

Please note that it is actually on the ASTRO Indiegogo-page (and not the Cosmo-page, as one would assume). (And the original post also stated that it is on the Astro-page...) It should (at time of writing) still be on the first page of comments, as a reply to another comment.

Pikku-iikka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 03:18:32 pm »
Watched the Planet's new Astro-videos yesterday. There Davide Guidi (CTO) said, that after the Astro is reality, they will use the experience of the project to bring Android 11 to Cosmo too.

We will see...
Pikku-iikka (alias Little Ike - 194 cm / 130 kg)
Planet Cosmo Communicator
Samsung Note 8, Jolla Phone (Sailfish), Nokia N9 (Meego)
Raspberry Pi 4B / RetroPie setup emulating Amiga.