Author Topic: Keyboards?  (Read 68883 times)

arrakis

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« on: June 23, 2004, 05:46:17 pm »
MY 6000 is on its way right now, and I'm looking for portable keyboards that work-

The stowaway IR keyboard is reported as working, has anyone got any experience with other IR keyboards?

Has anyone yet tested the Stowaway USB folding keyboard? This is the one I'm most interested in.
current love:
SL6000, palmone IR keyboard, 2GB hitachi CF drive, pdaxrom.

hp200ls, hp95lx, t3,t5,t|E,palmIII, jornada 720, jornadao 320

never place economic before human values

cwaig

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 05:41:09 pm »
MY 6000 is on its way right now, and I'm looking for portable keyboards that work-

The stowaway IR keyboard is reported as working, has anyone got any experience with other IR keyboards?

Has anyone yet tested the Stowaway USB folding keyboard? This is the one I'm most interested in.
From reports I've had, the Pocketop keyboard also works. In fact, anything that works with the SL-5x00 should also work with the SL6000.

A modified version of IRK should be able to handle USB keyboards - but I don't have a 6000, and cann't afford to buy one.....(maybe someone at Sharp wants to donate one? I doubt it - even Spencer in his heyday couldn't get Sharp to donate squat).
SL5500+Origo WIFI+Pocketop Keyboard+BlueMonkey Bluetooth+IBM Microdrive+SL6000+iRiver USB host+PackardBell USB RF mini-mouse+Cheapo Kingmax USB laptop Keyboard+Dynamode USB Ethernet Adaptor
Wrote a couple of things....
IRK, SubApplet, QMode2, NetActive, SimpleEdit, zPocketScript.

arrakis

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 07:40:26 pm »
Update:

the 6000 is here, and gorgeous. really nice machine.

The stowaway usb keyboard is just as good as i remember the old handspring one being.

It claims to be a standard usb keyboard and not require any special drivers.

The Z sees it, and i can type..... sort of. about half the keys work, the rest do very odd things, like the mapping is wrong.
current love:

arrakis

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 09:03:47 pm »
Another Update:

Well, I've now tested 5 usb keyboards with the zaurus, and the keymap is all messed up on all of them.  i've managed to get dump/load/show keys onto the Z and can now write a keymap, but Im wondering if this is a bug, or if it is a deliberate Sharpism to prevent anything except 'special driver' devices from working.

I'm assuming bug, since no one is dumb enough to advertise usb and then deliberately make it less useful.

expect a keymap to be posted sometime.
current love:

wgp2000

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 11:15:22 am »
Can the SL-6000L Keyboard be used in landscape mode?

Thanks
Bill

angst

• View Profile
    • http://
Keyboards?
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 03:53:17 pm »
Hardware keyboard. Sure. Yes. But of course its rotated 90' from the screen.

Software keyboard. Yes.
--
SL-6000L Sharp ROM 1.12
LEXAR 256 MB 4x USB ENABLED CF
LEXAR 256 MB SD ext2
Targus Universal Wireless Keyboard
SL-5500 Sharp ROM 3.13
LINKSYS WCF11 WIRELESS NETWORK CF
SANDISK 256 MB SD
LEXAR 64 MB CF 4x
--
Ostrich -  The other red meat

hodor

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2004, 09:33:52 pm »
I'm using the pocketop.  It works just fine except that the / key is awkwardly hidden.

-- carl

doc

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2004, 09:52:07 pm »
I like using my PC's keyboard by running VNC.

By your command...

Doc
Sharp SL-5500 PDA
Sharp 2.78 ROM
Viking 256MB SD
Socket LP-E CF Ethernet

maslovsky

• View Profile
    • http://my-zaurus.narod.ru
Keyboards?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 11:41:22 am »
Another Update:

Well, I've now tested 5 usb keyboards with the zaurus, and the keymap is all messed up on all of them.  i've managed to get dump/load/show keys onto the Z and can now write a keymap, but Im wondering if this is a bug, or if it is a deliberate Sharpism to prevent anything except 'special driver' devices from working.

I'm assuming bug, since no one is dumb enough to advertise usb and then deliberately make it less useful.

USB keyboards requrire a remapped key maps inside the kernel driver (at least that's what's done for USB keyboard driver for C7x0 devices used with Ratoc USB Host CF card). Or it needs a user space program to remap keys on the fly (an updated IRK driver for example)

Daniel_n_n

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 07:02:25 am »

Which rom version are you used in your Zaurus 6000?

Which mini usb adapter are you using?

Daniel.

hubcapboy

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 11:52:25 pm »
Hi everyone, I've been watching the posts for quite a while, but have only had the z for three days now so I can actually start posting like I know what I'm talking about...

watch out for the irk driver (I used v0.10.0).  I'm sure it worked perfectly for the platforms it was designed for, but when I loaded it on my Z I came across an interesting problem.

It has been noted that you need to select "5600..." in the settings to get the kb to work, but when I happened to reset while this was not selected, I had to reformat.  the boot got stuck repeating the "wait 30 seconds" screen.

The Z and the pocketop came on the same day, and so the keyboard was my first priority in getting set up, so we're talking very slim probability of it being another issue. Fresh Sharp ROM, not even any other packages installed.  I have reproduced the effect several times.
sl-6000
micro innovations keyboard
512 SanDisk SD,  512 SanDisk CF
5gb Rio external drive
and... um... laser pointer stylus???

Siliconbug

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 05:36:20 am »
Hi,

Just receive my 6000L, but some problems come in then. I've installed the keyboard driver from http://ifound.com/anon/

I follow these steps:
  • Turn off beam receive (ie. set to manual).
  • Select IRK as the input method
  • Configure IRK via it's settings panel
  • Turn on IRK from it's control panel
At this point, I get an error message, "Couldn't open IrDA serial Port. Either something else is using the...."

I choose SL5000/SL5500 and SL5600/SLC7xx, and I also try v0.10 and 0.11, but both of don't work. Do I miss some steps?

nevarrie

• View Profile
    • http://www.thegrantclan.org
Keyboards?
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 10:48:23 am »
Hi,

Just receive my 6000L, but some problems come in then. I've installed the keyboard driver from http://ifound.com/anon/

I follow these steps:
At this point, I get an error message, "Couldn't open IrDA serial Port. Either something else is using the...."

I choose SL5000/SL5500 and SL5600/SLC7xx, and I also try v0.10 and 0.11, but both of don't work. Do I miss some steps?
I uses a Targus IR keyboard with my SL-6000L when ever I am using the default sharp rom(Have nto got IRK to work with OpenZaurus OPIE yet) so I can tell you that I know it will work...

Have you used the keyboard with any other devices, such as a palm device?  I remember having a problem with getting one of the Targus keyboards with working with either mine or my friends Zaurus and it ending up being the keyboard was not powered on.  If I remember right we just had to move the batteries around to get it working.
Jeremy "Nevarrie" Grant
SL-6000L
OpenZaurus 3.5.4.1 GPE(2.6 kernel)|GrantRom 0.01(e-image clone)
Targus IR Keyborad

Siliconbug

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 07:36:44 am »
Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't work. Please review my steps:
You can see that I even didn't open my Targus keyboard at this moment. All I did were installed the driver and clicked "on." I've tried to format the 6000L and install the driver only, but I still got the same problem, "Couldn't open IrDA serial Port. Either something else is using the...." (I use SHARP ROM v1.12)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 07:38:34 am by Siliconbug »

dsavard

• View Profile
Keyboards?
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 12:07:56 pm »
Siliconbug: I received my Targus IR keyboard few minutes ago. i was already having the irk-0.11.0 package installed (I did it last week) and I just try to make my Targus keyboard working and failed on the first attempt, so, I referred to YOUR instructions and it worked! The only thing I had to change was the setting from SL5000/SL5500 to SL5600/SLC7xx, Beam received was already in manual mode. And it works fine.

Maybe the IR arm on the Targus keyboard is not properly oriented? I am positionning my Z6K in vertical position and swinged the arm just beside the IR port on the left side below the power-on button of my Z6K.
JID: AchilleTalon-myjabber.net[/font]
Verbatim SD 64 MB
Lexar 32x 1GB SD
Lexar 4x 1GB CF
Sharp CE-170TS Serial cable