Author Topic: USB Mouse?  (Read 44124 times)

cwaig

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2005, 05:00:03 am »
Not had a lot of time to spend on this yet (grrr), but I did roll a quickie test program if anyone want's to try it out. Doesn't give you a mouse cursor yet, but if you run it in the console it should print out mouse movements and button presses from a USB connected mouse (PS2 protocol 3 button mice only, and no support to the scroll wheel at the moment....).

I've tried it with my own mouse, but it'd be nice to know it's going to work with other peoples as well....

The binary for this is here - let me know if it works
SL5500+Origo WIFI+Pocketop Keyboard+BlueMonkey Bluetooth+IBM Microdrive+SL6000+iRiver USB host+PackardBell USB RF mini-mouse+Cheapo Kingmax USB laptop Keyboard+Dynamode USB Ethernet Adaptor
Wrote a couple of things....
IRK, SubApplet, QMode2, NetActive, SimpleEdit, zPocketScript.

cwaig

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 08:39:09 am »
Just to follow up my own post here, I've just quickly hacked in the USB mouse support to Yakty's InputHelper code - and it works!

Plug in a mouse, move it and up pops an onscreen cursor that tracks with Qtopia

Leave the mouse still for a while and the cursor disappears again. Lovely

I've not rolled an ipk of this yet, but anyone who cann't wait to get mouse support for their SL6000 can download the plugin and install it manually from here.

To install it do the following (as root):
Code: [Select]
cp libusbmouseapplet.so.1.0.0 /opt/QtPalmtop/plugins/applets
cd /opt/QtPalmtop/plugins/applets
ln -s libusbmouseapplet.so.1.0.0 libusbmouseapplet.so.1.0
ln -s libusbmouseapplet.so.1.0.0 libusbmouseapplet.so.1
ln -s libusbmouseapplet.so.1.0.0 libusbmouseapplet.so

Then reboot your Zaurus. You won't see anything to show it's installed, but plug a PS2 mouse into the USB port and it'll "just work".

IPK version for the less adventurous will be along in the near future.

NOTE: Don't install Yakty's InputHelper at the same time as this. It's just a modified version of the latest InputHelper code (0.8.8), so you won't need InputHelper itself installed.
SL5500+Origo WIFI+Pocketop Keyboard+BlueMonkey Bluetooth+IBM Microdrive+SL6000+iRiver USB host+PackardBell USB RF mini-mouse+Cheapo Kingmax USB laptop Keyboard+Dynamode USB Ethernet Adaptor

saakmotu

• View Profile
    • http://www.bpang.com
USB Mouse?
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2005, 12:03:33 pm »
Works for me using a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB and PS/2 Compatible mouse.
I forget, but I think this is an "Explorer", 5 button with scroll wheel.

I did have to plug in the mouse and then restart, I wasn't able to hotplug it.

I notice that as you move the mouse the screen redraw from where the pointer just had been is a little bit latent to redraw, especially if you move the mouse quickly.
Also, in the imaging program, if you try to draw with the mouse, like with the pencil, it doesn't immediately show every part of the line on the screen. If you mouse around the area that you just scribbled, it will fill it in.

I wouldn't call either of those issues show-stoppers as it does function and provide at least basic mouse support which is VERY COOL and should have been something that was included in the ROM, dontcha think?

Thanks a lot and looking forward to improved versions!!!

As far as the ipkg, the install is so easy, it's hardly necessary.
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Linksys wcf12 CF WiFi - Dlink CF Wifi - Xircom CompactCard Ethernet 10
Sharp CF Camera
SerialI/O usb cable - iRiver PMP USB Host Adapter Cable

soundwave106

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2005, 07:05:23 pm »
It also worked with a Targus Ultra-Mini Retractable Mouse. I did notice some graphical issues occasionally in my brief test, but nothing show-stopping. Sweet.

Kind of sucks that the USB port is on the bottom, as I wanted to see if this would work well with the Targus IR keyboard.  I had to roll up the mouse carrying case to provide some support, but it did end up working, kind of:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/soundwave106/2b3e521a.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]

Still wish there was a better way!

nilch

• View Profile
    • http://
USB Mouse?
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2005, 11:26:31 pm »
works fine with my Logitech USB mouse (with scroll wheel)
Tje install instructions were very sinple and straightforward.

Only point needed a reboot with mouse attached.
At reboot it gave a message of modprobe : module usbmoue not found or something to that effect.
There is a lag in the mouse movement - much like  mouse trail being left on the screen which redraws a few seconds later (more like 1 sec).

Imaging has the problem mentioned - lines dont draw cleanly.
Mouse work in all other apps - like emai, Operal (i am scrolling and pointing now with my USB mouse attached), documents tab as well.

The mouse pointer is very accurate and responsive on all areas of screen - like scroll bars or even small type links in Opera.Double click works to open up apps., single click selects.

What more can I say except hats off Cwaig.
I am sure you will ultimately; given time resolve those minor issues too.
New no more-C1000 / 5000D (sold my 6000 and 750) | Cacko ROM 1.23 on C1000 | 256 MB CF | 2GB PNY SD card | Socket Networker WiFi CF Card | USB Host cable from StreamlineCPUS | Mini Microphone (for voice recording) |

cwaig

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2005, 12:07:40 pm »
I've just been out and picked up a little cheapy Packard Bell wireless laptop mouse to use with my Z - the little RF dongle is powered from the USB (unlike the mouse I was initially using), so I was a bit worried it might not work with the Z. No problem though - it works perfectly, and is ideal for use with the Z - no dodgy trailing wires or anything to dislodge the Z from wherever you've got it propped up. In combination with my Pocketop keyboard, it's almost like using a laptop

[img]http://angela1.data-uncertain.co.uk/~zaurus/zaurusPocketopAndMouse.jpg\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 12:16:34 pm by cwaig »

BarryW

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2005, 02:27:35 am »
Works with the Apple usb keyboard and mouse!  Only one button on the mouse but hey, it works!
What's this button do??

C3100
Distro changes almost weekly...

C3200
Distro also changes almost weekly...  :)

Hardware hacks and stuff.

cwaig

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2005, 07:21:29 am »
I've updated the USB mouse applet to support the Intellimouse extensions, so the scroll wheel now works in most apps (I've set up the scroll wheel to send cursor up/down messages, so you can scroll up and down the page in Opera with it. Seems to work reasonably well
I'm not certain that it'll be compatible with Mac mice and non-scroll wheel mice - but as most (all?) cheap PC/laptop mice are scroll wheel type now anyway, I doubt that this is to much of a problem...

I've also noticed that there's an interesting QT menu available if you right click on the title bar of an application (let's you resize the app, or swap to an OSX look-alike style where you can move windows around).

hubcapboy

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2005, 10:43:52 pm »
Hey craig!!!

so cool to see you were able to get the pigtail working so quickly!!

you're an animal dude. glad to help.  i'll let you know when i get it working when i get home tonight.
sl-6000
micro innovations keyboard
512 SanDisk SD,  512 SanDisk CF
5gb Rio external drive
and... um... laser pointer stylus???

saakmotu

• View Profile
    • http://www.bpang.com
USB Mouse?
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2005, 01:01:26 am »
updated version works great and the ability to change window attributes is interesting, but I'm not so sure how useful it is.

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, which is absolutely not the case, I'm now curious if there is a way to also have an optional "mouseless pointer"?

I often find myself using my Z in situations where it would be nice to be able to keep the lid closed but still be able to "tap" on the screen. (laying in bed, for example)

Could the usb mouse applet be also made into a pointer that was controlled by the directional pad and button instead of a mouse?

Thanls again, cwaig!!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 01:02:18 am by saakmotu »
bricked(?) sl5000d
sl5500 tkcROM
sl5600
sl6000-L
Many sd/cf memory cards
Linksys wcf12 CF WiFi - Dlink CF Wifi - Xircom CompactCard Ethernet 10
Sharp CF Camera
SerialI/O usb cable - iRiver PMP USB Host Adapter Cable

hubcapboy

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2005, 01:09:18 am »
craig you're amazing.  this is perfect.

people won't stop asking me about my setup here at the coffee shop thanks to your work on the keyboard and mouse imput.
sl-6000
5gb Rio external drive

cwaig

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2005, 04:07:33 am »
At the risk of sounding ungrateful, which is absolutely not the case, I'm now curious if there is a way to also have an optional "mouseless pointer"?

I often find myself using my Z in situations where it would be nice to be able to keep the lid closed but still be able to "tap" on the screen. (laying in bed, for example)

Could the usb mouse applet be also made into a pointer that was controlled by the directional pad and button instead of a mouse?
The libusbmouseapplet is just a modified version of Yakty's InputHelper applet (Yakty is going to include my patches in the next official InputHelper release). As luck would have it, InputHelper (and therefore libusbmouseapplet) already provides exactly what you describe - you need to install KeyHelper as well and configure it to send the appropriate QCOP messages to InputHelper to control the mouse pointer (that's what InputHelper was originally written for...). Only problem is that Yakty's Japanese, so all the instructions for how to use InputHelper are also in Japanese, so it does take a bit of figuring out...

As an aside, Yakty mailled me to say:
It works also on SL-C750 with REX-CFU1(USB host CF Card), and SL-C3000.

So, all the recent Zaurus models should be able to use this code to get USB mouse support

NOTE: When Yakty releases the new version of InputHelper, use that instead of libusbmouseapplet - remember to delete libusbmouseapplet before installing InputHelper though...

Antikx

• View Profile
    • http://tyrannozaurus.com
USB Mouse?
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2005, 10:47:44 am »
Thanks for your hard work cwaig.

I don't own a Zaurus yet but It'll be soon and you are making it harder to wait. (that's a good thing)

I have a question if you don't mind:
If you plugged a (externally powered) USB hub into the Zazurus's USB host port could you use a USB kbd and mouse at the same time?

-Antikx
Palm Tungsten C
256MB SD
Kanpai,
-Antikx (Twitter, Mugshot and PodNova)
C1000 - pdaXrom R198 (Celestial Environment)
tyrannozaurus.com
[img]http://www.tyrannozaurus.com/files/category_pictures/general_1.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]
Zaurus news/blogs feed from Zaurus users
Free Windows, Linux, or Web RSS readers.
Featured pages at tyrannozaurus:
Sharp Petition, ScummVM, Cacko, pdaXii13, and Celestial Environment

BarryW

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2005, 11:28:19 am »
I don't see why not.  I plugged in my apple keyboard with the mouse attached to that, as they have two usb ports on them.  Both worked great, well with the exception of a few mismapped keys...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 11:28:35 am by BarryW »
What's this button do??

C3100
Distro changes almost weekly...

C3200
Distro also changes almost weekly...  :)

Hardware hacks and stuff.

hubcapboy

• View Profile
USB Mouse?
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2005, 07:03:37 pm »
hey craig, just taking a lok at your keyboard setup... pretty cool I'm doing just about the same thing sitting in class right now.  I noticed that your'e using the stand that comes with the MI keyboard. I don't know how well it worked with the 5600, but my 6k kept falling off, etc, which wasn't very impressive, so I now use a normal door hinge bent all the way around backwards to hold the compuer up it's a little heavier and holds it at just about the right angle.

later dude
sl-6000
5gb Rio external drive